+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Eyes

a work in progress... rewrites has a spectacular aura about rewrites has a spectacular aura about rewrites has a spectacular aura about rewrites has a spectacular aura about rewrites has a spectacular aura about rewrites has a spectacular aura about rewrites's Avatar

Re: Eyes

High FiO2 is a known vasoconstrictor so perhaps your blood pressure post dive is increased. This could lead to a temporary increase in the pressure withn your eye and related veins and artieries. Perhaps the result of this is what your Dr has found.

Dive Deep and Dive Long Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Envy  View Original Post
    Just for general reference, my optometrist, after hearing that my eyes go blurry at depth recommended lowering the target po2 range. Since doing this, I get less blurry. with high po2 of 1.3 or higher, and with any mask squeeze at all, below 80 FSW, I can't read the computer screen barely at all and end up trying to hold my wrist as far away as possible, like I need reading glasses.

My optometrist let me know that high po2 in the mask meant high o2 directly in the eye fluid and this was something to be cautios of as I may not be tollerant of this and that it could possibly be hard on my eyes in the long run... but he had little to point to objectively. I do know that some spots in my vision that were barely perceptible are now visible against a white background... mybe i'm just getting old!

g
    Are you sure it is not from looking at tinny needle points all day and trying to aim them into the right spot and nerve so your eyes are just tired. That big grin you get in the water probably does not help much either.

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Tekdive  View Original Post
    1) testing like visual fields and air blast test on the eye... stupid machine.
    2) But I am sure the increased pressures were from offgasing. Having a virus and being sick is enough for your imune system to cause an increase in eye pressure.
    3) next week I could stop by the office and see if the one dr would be willing to answer any more specifics you might have...
    Here you go: exactly that!
    1) yes, that's the test.
    2) Correct again: minor sinus infection. Not enough to keep me out of water. That would be bacteria, though, not virus.
    3) Please, by all means.
    Thanks
    Best
    Philippe
    Last edited by Philippe GERIN; 11th May 2009 at 15:21.

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Envy  View Original Post
    with high po2 of 1.3 or higher, and with any mask squeeze at all, below 80 FSW, I can't read the computer screen barely at all and end up trying to hold my wrist as far away as possible, like I need reading glasses.
    Exactly what took me to the eye doctor at first. I mean, I just turned 42 so was not surprised to start noticing that on land I have more difficulties to read smaller stuff than before. I'm also more tired after a long (2 to 300 miles) drive at night than before. And then I notice that it's a bit blurry when looking at the small digits on the po2 displays/computer.
    Note that I normally never get above 1.1 po2 except these last dozen or so dives as I wanted to test a few cells. And that's when I started to notice the slightly blurry vision.
    Well, all in all she prescribed me glasses with +0.5 when working on the computer or driving.
    Food for thought.
    Thanks.
    Best
    Philippe

RBW Member saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation has a spectacular aura about saturation's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe GERIN  View Original Post
    Hi guys,
    Day before yesterday I went for a small dive in the morning: 40m and 35mn.
    In the afternoon I had an apointment at the eye doctor, so I went. She found that the eye blood pressure was a little high. I know nothing about that as it is the first time I had that kind of check up. Nonetheless, I told her about my diving high FO2 in the morning (I didn't mention ccr and po2 as she knows nothing about it) so she gave me another apointment.
    I didn't dive yesterday before the test and my eye blood pressure was fine. She said that the higher measure of the previous day was probably due to my diving but didn't know for sure.
    BTW nothing to do with enduced myopia, or is there?
    Anyone could shed some light?
    Best
    Philippe

Diving is reported not to worsen glaucoma or cause glaucoma:

[Problems of intraocular pressure in scuba diving ...[Klin Monatsbl Augenheilkd. 1975] - PubMed Result

Hyperoxia reduces IOP. Hypercapnia increases it. These effects are reported to be transient.

Ocular haemodynamic responses to induced hypercapn...[Br J Ophthalmol. 2004] - PubMed Result

Resident bibliophile Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs's Avatar
    Megalodon

I passed the question on to Dr. Frank Butler. He read the thread and offers this reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Butler
    The pressure measured in the eye is called the intraocular pressure, or IOP. Elevated IOP can be associated with loss of vision; this is called glaucoma. Hyperoxic diving has been reported to lower IOP slightly, not elevate it. Bottom line: if your IOP was elevated (over 21 mmHg), you should be followed regularly by an ophthalmologist to monitor for glaucoma.
    If any of you want a good review article on the eyes and diving, Frank's 1995 review paper on the topic is classic:

Butler FK Jr. Diving and hyperbaric ophthalmology. Surv Ophthalmol. 1995 Mar-Apr;39(5):347-66 PubMed ID: 7604359

Many of you are probably more familiar with his other work though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2