+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PFO's

RBW Member Nipetdiver will become famous soon enough Nipetdiver will become famous soon enough Nipetdiver will become famous soon enough Nipetdiver's Avatar

PFO's

My Partner has recently found out he has a PFO after a skin bend in Scapa. Our PCT have rejected the closure of this. We are going to appeal this but seems to us that this operation is done in other area's.

We would like any one who has had the closure done on the NHS to share their story. Also if anyone has successfully appealed their PCT.

There is an option of going to India at a cost of $7000 ish. We would like to gain as much information on others who has had the operation done.

Thanks
    Jo

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

Re: PFO's

Does he also suffer from migraines? if so do they cause time off work? Migraines are also associated with PFO, and there has been some work in treatment by PFO closure. Might just be enough to persuade the PCT if so.
    However the case for closing PFOs in divers who have had bends is a long way from iron-cast, and has its own complication rate. There are a lot of factors to consider.

Neil

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar

Everyone I know whos had a PFO and a bend has had it fixed.

RBW Member Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim's Avatar
    MEG 204

YBOD Classic

Hi Jo,

I am London based and also struggled with issues with PCT. I actually wanted mine fixed by Lindsay Morrison at the Liverpool Cardio Thoracic Centre (he has an excellent record, no more no less) and 'knew' I had one before being professionally diagnosed. To this end I asked my GP (no clue of PFO's or how they affected me via diving or migraine) to refer me to Peter Wilmshurst who could test for the PFO. Wilmshurst is able to then refer you to Morrison for the op.

Unfortunately, my GP would not cross refer between PCTs (as a 40% tax payer in this country you have less rights than a paedofile !). I contacted Wilmshurst directly who agreed to see me as long as I covered his hospital costs (£150 paid directly to the hospital). The PFO was confirmed (c13mm)and I was referred to Morrison for the closure operation, initially to have it done privately (c£12k at the time). As it transpired, the NHS waiting list was only 3-4 months and as I had been referred by Wilmshurst form the same PCT I was eligable for the op in Liverpool with Morrison under the NHS.

Did it on the NHS, thankfully no issues, haven't looked back - must be 4-5 years ago now.

Hope you get it sorted.

Jim.

CCR Diva scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt's Avatar
    meg & rEvo

inspo, optima, KISS, submatix

Quote Originally Posted by Nipetdiver  View Original Post
    My Partner has recently found out he has a PFO after a skin bend in Scapa. Our PCT have rejected the closure of this. We are going to appeal this but seems to us that this operation is done in other area's.

Jo
    Hi Jo i just had one fixed a few months ago. best thing i ever did!!! that said i almost had a heart attack when i got the hospital bill. it was a mere 49,000, this included a lovely closure device and a 24 hour total time in hospital. I did however get a nice parting gift of a docusate
    all joking aside i was completely shocked when i received a letter from my insurance company that they were going to actually pay 39,000 of it!!!! super happy:). So how did i get so lucky when my insurance wont even pay for an ambien? i think i got a bit lucky and a bit smart. I have migraines and had a episode of lost vision with one of my migraines. I am pretty sure my cardiologist also mentioned DSC. so perhaps the migraine and transient ischemic events is what swayed the insurances decision. If you need more help please feel free to contact me at my email
    scubagrunt@hotmail.com
    I wish your buddy the best luck as this is a serious thing that the insurance company obviuosly does not understand. maybe they prefer to pay for a ride in the chamber after a air ambulance ride, i'm sure this will be well over the 49,000 procedure cost. who makes these rules anyway
    mel
    Last edited by scubagrunt; 7th May 2009 at 12:23. Reason: cant spell :)

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by scubagrunt  View Original Post
    Hi Jo i just had one fixed a few months ago. best thing i ever did!!!
    Wow, I am amazed for the amount and type of diving you have been doing over the past few years you only had a PFO dealt with recently. May I ask what promted you to finally get the operation? Were the effects increasing with time? (I mean the dive related ones)
    Last edited by wedivebc; 7th May 2009 at 12:50.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

CCR Diva scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt's Avatar
    meg & rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    Wow, I am amazed for the amount and type of diving you have been doing over the past few years you only had a PFO dealt with recently. May I ask what promted you to finally get the operation? Were the effects increasing with time? (I mean the dive related ones)
    Honestly i have been meaning to get the "test" done for 15 years now. i actually had a day where a student cancelled and that gave me a second to myself to go and get the test done. i found out on a wednesday and had it fixed the following wednesday. no messing around with it for me. i have way too many big deep dives this summer to chance it. not to mention all the teaching i do. a big thanks to my cardiologist you rock:)
    mel

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Is this an example of socialized medicine in action?

Coming from Canada and now living in the USA I would urge everyone to be careful what you ask for you might get it and not like it.

John

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    Is this an example of socialized medicine in action?

Coming from Canada and now living in the USA I would urge everyone to be careful what you ask for you might get it and not like it.

John
    You took the words right out of my mouth on that one...

meg & rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by diverklondike  View Original Post
    You took the words right out of my mouth on that one...
    yes i would agree, be careful as to what you ask for "like socialized medicine"!!! good luck

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast