+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bailing out at 280ft in The Pit

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Re: Bailing out at 280ft in The Pit

Quote Originally Posted by gato2  View Original Post
    Mark -- is this the J.J. valve that gives a mouth of water? I was wondering if you got the "first breath being a mouthful of water" thing sorted out on the J.J.

Pm sent, and thanks.

John

Your missing the point a bit.

The multiple tests i do on the BOV every dive ensure i pick up on problems like this when prepared but not under other levels of stress. Be honest and tell me how many times you check an OC reg on a CCR dive?

I test it on the boat when assembling the rig and thats about it. I have never witnessed any other CCR divers wet testing their bailout regs except for cave divers.

The JJ had a fault on it that was letting water bypass the diaphragm, bit it spit purged and breathed OK. I was just used to the Golum which was completely dry switching from CCR to OC.

I traced the fault to the position of the activator arm on the JJ. And I picked up on the fault because i regularly wet test my bailout option.

The arm is only held in place with a grub screw which I think is a poor design on the unit. I am looking at grinding a flat on it to make it hold position properly.

ATB

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Chase; 8th May 2009 at 22:27.

Explorers Exodus Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing's Avatar
    rEvo-II

Re: Bailing out at 280ft in The Pit

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    Be honest and tell me how many times you check an OC reg on a CCR dive?
    As I returned my JJ, I decided that you at least need a dedicated BO-reg.

Testing stowed regs on bailout-cylinders: Seldom, and definetly not on every dive.
    Necklaced BO-reg under chin (Connected to bailout-cylinder) - every dive, and normally more than once.

BTW: I find the XTX50 purge-button a poor design, its difficult to find by tactile sensation - the ATX was better in this regard.....

Nicolai

RBW Member Chris Armstrong is an unknown quantity at this point Chris Armstrong's Avatar

Question Re: Bailing out at 280ft in The Pit

Quote Originally Posted by zzzzzzzz  View Original Post
    On deploying and stowing regulators, especially on the fly, an added option is to set hose lengths such that the regs drape around the neck to staggered positions. This can allow maintaining several regulators in a deployed condition, allowing more time and options for stowage.
    Although this solve's one problem, wouldn't this cause several more?

Firstly, specific hose lengths ... now that regulator becomes specific ... so rather than it being just any old stage reg, its now "the stage reg I use for when I am using atleast 3 bottles as this will go on stage number 3". Although I can see the merit that all the regs are hanging over your shoulder just waiting to be used.

Secondly, identifying those regs ... you may have saved a minute or so by not needing to identify the bottle, but wouldn't you end up wasting time by grabbing a reg, and tracing it back to its owner stage and identify the stage and then go "hmm ... I can't use this" or "yup ... this is the one I want". The former will inevitably extend the time taken to switch.

Thirdly, how many regs ... realistically how many regs can you really handle having over your shoulder? Carrying two stages under your arm is realistic, but any more than that and you're needing a leash and then 7ft hoses to reach from your butt to your mouth

Just me being critical

Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2