+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How long do you leave your bail out in fresh water?

RBW Member gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas's Avatar
    Megalodon

RB80 Clone, CastoroC96, RGU

How long do you leave your bail out in fresh water?

How many days do you consider “safe” to leave your OC Bailout in fresh water caves?
    any special tricks?

(i mean during an long project so you dont have to remove them and put them back again...)
    thanks
    george

RBW Member atomik is an unknown quantity at this point atomik's Avatar
    Hammerhead / Mccr homemade

Classic, Voyager, NT1 pscr, HH

Re: How long do you leave your bail out in fresh water?

what do you mean for "safe" ?

in my short experience max 3/4 days. The only problem was weather conditions, not good follow your tanks near the river :)

other problem are I stages not ever perfect, that doesn't maintains IP for all this time and flooding it is regular :)

RBW Member AzTek Diver is an unknown quantity at this point AzTek Diver's Avatar

In Mexico I have left them in for as much as 80 days without issues. Every time I pass them I check that pressure is being maintained, and if it's dropped I will open and close the valve to reset it. The only down side of this is the bacteria growth on them, it makes them very slick and the regs taste is less than good.

RBW Member gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas's Avatar
    Megalodon

thanks, thats interesting....
    80 days sounds really a lot!

any one else?

Sorta New Member w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

Don't you think it probably depends on the cave?

I have to assume that you are doing exploratory work, and that you are on a line that few people are expected to visit. If that is true...

Then, low flow, low silt, not many divers in, being able to plant the 1st & 2nd stages out of the silt, fresh water, and I could see 6 months, probably more.

FTR: When we (my buddy and I) break down our 2nd stages we find lots of crud that is there from staging. So, we've decided to start putting plastic bags around the 2nd stages (with a rubber band to hold them on) to try and protect them when the stages are going to be there for any time.

In some caves, like Madison at the Balcony, there use to be an emergency bottle planted for anyone who needed it. I've seen them planted for many, many months. Could the "farmers" who planted them have done periodical checks? I don't know. They always looked in "ready-to-grab condition" to me. And yes, we inspected them on every dive. Shame that this protocol of planting emergency bottles is not practiced more today. However, I can understand why.

Can see some "slime" on the bottle after several weeks, but probably not an go/no-go issue. Keeping pressure on the system is nice, but probably not "critical," either.

However, if I were diving a 90+ day pre-planted stage dive and ran across a bottle that was bad, that's where I would turn the dive/go onto back gas/calclate my bailout/etc.

Unless I had a plan "B" for that contingency.

So, just depends on where you are planting. Some fields grow record harvests and some just can't seem to get the seeds out of the ground.

Sorry, couldn't resist. A little (very little) humor - I know - for such an important post.

Bill
    Bill Ripley

Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

I just got back a stage from October 2007 from our song Hong expedition. All works fine but someone must have used the gas as its empty

Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by w ripley  View Original Post
    Don't you think it probably depends on the cave?

I have to assume that you are doing exploratory work, and that you are on a line that few people are expected to visit. If that is true...

Then, low flow, low silt, not many divers in, being able to plant the 1st & 2nd stages out of the silt, fresh water, and I could see 6 months, probably more.

FTR: When we (my buddy and I) break down our 2nd stages we find lots of crud that is there from staging. So, we've decided to start putting plastic bags around the 2nd stages (with a rubber band to hold them on) to try and protect them when the stages are going to be there for any time.

Yes, it obviously depends on the conditions on the cave, so let me rephrase:

Under ideal conditions meaning: low flow cave , no risk of flooding , fresh water, no risk from other divers as its exploration , tank placed out of silt passage (on rocks), secured well., how long would you consider leaving an OC bailout tank?

thanks for the reply, this kind of first hand experiences wa what I was looking for!
    i was also considering the idea to put a small plastic bag around the second stage and secure it with a rubber band and/or tie rap,and maybe even inflate it with a little air so that the second stage is dry!
    have you tried that?
    or you put the plastic bags in order to keep the silt out?

thanks
    george

RBW Member Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko's Avatar
    HH Inspiration / Joki

Dolphin, Megalodon, RGU

Hi
    We lost a tank in the sea from our deco station...
    Two years later, we found it stik in the wreck...
    We check it and it was breathable but the regulator was full of incustations and was send to the rabish...
    The gas was good...
    Best
    Mikel

RBW Member fin is on a distinguished road fin is on a distinguished road fin's Avatar

I have an idea about this (maybe silly as I am no caver but you never know)

In theory, one can get his reg in a wet bag with fresh boiled water and keep it attached to the already ss din plug plugged tank.
    Normally it could last forever but I am afraid it will be far from cave protocols.
    please be polite! :)

RBW Member Picopatowarner is an unknown quantity at this point Picopatowarner's Avatar

One year, fresh water... no problem.
    Only calcite around the first stage (don´t use aluminium alloy regulators) and silt inside second stage. Flush first 2 or 3 times for cleaning and breathe.
    Later you need to make a revision to the regulator. Gas OK.

+ Reply to Thread