+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old CCR's never die....

RBW Member Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M's Avatar

Old CCR's never die....

A couple of pics of the early KISS are now posted on my scratch website:

Student lecture notes

This material will all be taken down in a week or so...download any pics you want to keep ASAP. Some of the old rebreather pics were taken from an extensive rebreather collection in Hong Kong, I think in 2000. I got to dive quite a number of units in the pool and the sea, including
    Mk 15.5
    Fieno
    Halcyon
    Cis-Lunar Mk.5
    EOBA
    Electrolung
    LAR-5
    Dolphin
    Ray
    Prism
    ...and about 10 others, I cannot remember exactly which. I'd need to check my logbook. There was an article about it all in 9-90 Magazine.

This website is just what it says...a scratch site that I use mainly for student stuff...but sometimes for recreational stuff like the links above and below (Not the same....!)

Student lecture notes

Some nice pics from last week's University Easter dive/training trip in Cornwall....but little to do with RBW, apart from the fact that I was using an Evo for some of the dives (not shown in any pics). I'm not the world's best photographer...but I was pleased with some of the close-up shots of jewel anemones.

For any West Coast Canadians reading this...most of your diving stuff is bigger and better that what we have in the UK...nudibranchs, octopus, plumrose anemones, barnacles etc. I've dived Vancouver Island on 4 or 5 trips and the coldwater diving is well worth the effort. However...pretty as your strawbwerry anemones are....our jewel anemones are MUCH better !! :)..However this is now waaaay off topic.

I'll see if I can dig out any pics of the 1st Sport KISS....It looked NOTHING like the production unit. The scrubber was soft and housed INSIDE the counterlungs.
    The cylinder valve contained an integrated 1st stage. The whole thing was a fraction of the size of the current SK...both when packed up for travel and when ready for use. I much preferred the prototype to the production unit. However Gordon said it was too difficult to manufacture ... and much too radical for the market to sustain. Like the Bailout KISS, it never went into production in this form. The 'snog valve' however did make it into limited production (around 10 sold AFAIK)

This is so far off topic....worth starting a new thread on early RB developments?
    How do I do this ??? I'm not going to retype all this stuff again.... The thread doesn't really go anywhere...does it ??? Probably not worth it.

Regards, SteveM

Quote Originally Posted by edenfeldt  View Original Post
    Love the old pics, all the early try dives on different models…nice :) If you could find early pics of the CK and the SK that would be grate I would love to see them. And also the Halcyon unit in the picture do you have any more early pics of that to? In regards to what the thread is about I have no comments I just hijacked this part of it since I love the early stuff :)

RBW Member robbo fury is on a distinguished road robbo fury is on a distinguished road robbo fury's Avatar
    Homebuilt

Re: APOC a conspiracy? Smoke and mirrors? Vapour ware?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-M  View Original Post
    ...worth starting a new thread on early RB developments?
    I for one would love to read that Steve.

RBW Member Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M's Avatar

OK...here are some early pics of the sport KISS.

Early Sport KISS

Not sure if the thumbnails are working OK. Does anyone care ???

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-M  View Original Post
    A couple of pics of the early KISS are now posted on my scratch website:

Student lecture notes

Regards, SteveM

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robbo fury  View Original Post
    I for one would love to read that Steve.

Read the old NWD Rebreather Archives, it's mostly all there.

Steve, along with a VERY few others here, has been around since the beginning of the "current" rebreather sport. Taken from the perspective of that view, nothing in the development timeline of the Apoc is at all worrysome. Maybe Alex has been a little too optimistic on the dates, but that's about it. The 'wailers' just don't have the long view.

None of the rigs that we see now are what they were when they were first shown. I remember Leon developing the Meg for YEARS. He was the laughing stock for many. When it was first shown he was panned for using "radiator hoses" for the CL to scrubber hoses and people said it would never get off the ground. Guess what? And as for "revisions"... does anyone but me remember that the HH went thru (how many) failed versions before it finally became semi-reliable? I say "semi", as the BRAND NEW one fitted to my Mark-15 (since sold to Rick Simon, AKA "divetheworld" has now failed *before ever being taken diving* and the proposed fix is to (get this) "remove the board and shim it in with a piece of chewing gum because the boards don't always fit all that well, dude...." Sheesh. All I can say to Alex is TEST THE CRAP OUTTA IT (unlike certain other makers who test by sending out a hundred to their customers and getting 99 back) and don't release it before it's perfect. Now THAT business model would be a revalation.

Dave

Last edited by MB; 23rd April 2009 at 13:30.

RBW Member robbo fury is on a distinguished road robbo fury is on a distinguished road robbo fury's Avatar
    Homebuilt

Quote Originally Posted by Dave ******  View Original Post
    Read the old NWD Rebreather Archives, it's mostly all there.
    I have had a search through some of the messages. There is a lot of content to get through, though, and to hear a witness' summary would be fantastic. Thanks Steve for putting up those images you have, I have found them interesting; and to you too Dave for your website which is a wealth of information. It's just good to read the thoughts that surrounded the photos and events past.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Re: Old CCR's never die....

Great thread, should be a sticky.

FWIW, I did a photo essay on the SNOG valve, its in the library somewhere. Cracking bit of invention from Gordon, what a genius.
    IMO my most "compentent" MCCR dives ever where with the SNOG, it allows unparalled control.

His prototype Travel(sport) Kiss is a thing of beauty, I'd be really interested to see how a fabric scrubber would perform in WOB/CO2 tests compared to the common solid...

Thanks Steve for starting this and providing the pictures.

Folks, to enjoy what we have now its great to appreacaite the history of the hobby.

RBW Member dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t's Avatar

theres a picture of me wearing a snorkel

Closed Account onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dave t  View Original Post

In as lovely a color as I've ever seen for one too. :)

Is that you in the pool, Dave ???

It's a nice snorkel !!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by dave t  View Original Post

If you want it sticky then someone (not me !) needs to transfer the pics from the scratch website to somewhere on RBW. Any volunteer ??
    I *WILL* delete them all w/o notice as soon as I need the space for other things...like work !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    Great thread, should be a sticky.

FWIW, I did a photo essay on the SNOG valve, its in the library somewhere. Cracking bit of invention from Gordon, what a genius.
    IMO my most "compentent" MCCR dives ever where with the SNOG, it allows unparalled control.

His prototype Travel(sport) Kiss is a thing of beauty, I'd be really interested to see how a fabric scrubber would perform in WOB/CO2 tests compared to the common solid...

Thanks Steve for starting this and providing the pictures.

Folks, to enjoy what we have now its great to appreacaite the history of the hobby.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast