+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Florida (Oriskany and/or Caves) 3-12 July 2009

Damien Siviero betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154's Avatar
    Meg

Pathfinder, Inspo, Kiss, MKVI

Florida (Oriskany and/or Caves) 3-12 July 2009

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Florida early July and would be keen on a buddy. I've not fixed plans at this stage and am investigating the logistics of dragging an Inspiration half way across the world.

I'm keen on the Oriskany, a few caves and even some tec/rec diving around key largo areas. I'd be open to some suggestions if someone had local knowledge too.

I've been diving for 15+ years (3 on CCR) and am MOD 3 centified. I'm a keen photographer and will certainly have my camera with me on all dives.

Regards,
    Damien Siviero

This is serious......mum Dave & Sandy has a spectacular aura about Dave & Sandy has a spectacular aura about Dave & Sandy has a spectacular aura about Dave & Sandy has a spectacular aura about Dave & Sandy has a spectacular aura about Dave & Sandy has a spectacular aura about Dave & Sandy's Avatar
    rEVO 111

Inspo Classic

Re: Florida (Oriskany and/or Caves) 3-12 July 2009

G'day Damien,

We were over in Cave Country in Jan this year. Stayed in Alachua and went through Wayne at Amigos. He has breather cylinders, sorb, bailout cylinders and gas. We just left our gear with him. Access to his property is 24-7. Hence you can grab your gear anytime. He's helpful and friendly.

Spent most of our time down Alachua diving the caves in the area. Heaps to dive. We travelled up to Marianna to dive Jackson Blue, Hole in the wall, Twin Cave with Cave Adventures up that way on the river which hires the pontoon boats. The drive up is a couple to three hours from Alachua. Got across to Pensacola but didn't dive the Oriskany. Paying big bucks on a scuttled wreck doesn't quite do it for us, but if we had an extra couple of days we probably would have. Priority was the caves.

We took our inspos and all gear, except cylinders. 30kg each with an additional 7ish hand luggage. We totally dismantle the inspo and reasembled on a DaveB light weight travel frame overseas. Three pieces of 3mm Ali bolted together. One vertical and two horizontal. Transplant the inspo straight onto it. Works well.

Diving over in Florida is easy. Hire a car, head down to cave country, find a base and go diving. If you want, spend a few days up at Marianna diving the sites, it's worth the drive. Just give Cave Adventures a buzz before you drive up to reserve a boat for you. You'll need one to dive Hole in the Wall and Twin Cave. Jackson's Blue doesn't require a boat.

Hope this helps.

Dave & Sandy

Damien Siviero betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154 is a jewel in the rough betti154's Avatar
    Meg

Thanks. The DaveB travel frame could be a good option. I forsee a case of beer going to my mate who has the construction knowledge and tools!

How did they go in the cave/overhead environment. I guess it would be easy enough to incorporate some kind of protective bar or similar around the top/bottom of the canister.

This is serious......mum Dave & Sandy has a spectacular aura about Dave & Sandy has a spectacular aura about Dave & Sandy has a spectacular aura about Dave & Sandy has a spectacular aura about Dave & Sandy has a spectacular aura about Dave & Sandy has a spectacular aura about Dave & Sandy's Avatar
    rEVO 111

Inspo Classic

Didn't worry about it. Scrubber got a bit scratched up but the brunt of the abbrasion is on the inhale/exhale hoses which have covers anyhow.

If you need some pics or dimensions feel free to PM us.

Cheers,
    Dave and Sandy

Meg

Thanks Dave. We built up a frame, though the only change I ended up making was to make the tank supports 20mm wider as I found it a bit tight otherwise.

Total weight was 0.95kg (without cambands), though the pack down volume is tiny.

We've not got aspirations of taking the design concept and making a permanent frame with outer cage, which looks quite doable.

Meg

Just as an update, if anyone wants to dive the Oriskany I'm booked in with MBT divers for 4 days on 7-10th July.

Damien Siviero
    Damien Siviero's Photography & Diving Homepage

I will be down June 26th through the 6 or 7th of July. Not interested in the Oriskanny but will be doing a lot of cave diving while I am down. I will probably stay at the Dive Outpost. If you are looking for someone to buddy up with let me know.

Bobby

Meg

PM sent.

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobby  View Original Post
    I will be down June 26th through the 6 or 7th of July. Not interested in the Oriskanny but will be doing a lot of cave diving while I am down. I will probably stay at the Dive Outpost. If you are looking for someone to buddy up with let me know.

Bobby
    Bobby, heading up this friday... GF will be wrapping up apprentice/full w/ Rich Sunday - Wednesday in High Springs area while I get to telecommute and work, moving to Dive Outpost over the holiday weekend and the CDF social... so I'm sure we'll run into one another...

-Tim

+ Reply to Thread