+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rebreather Wish List/Challenges

RBW Member warren72 is an unknown quantity at this point warren72's Avatar
    Pelagian DCCCR

Rebreather Wish List/Challenges

All,

Below is my wish list for a rebreather based on my diving requirements.
    I have searched through the forums, manufacture websites and contacted some RBW members by e-mail in my search for info.

What I am specifically looking for is feedback on which make/model of rebreather fits these criteria and also what challenges you may have faced diving that particular unit.
    • MCCR
    • Durable unit
    • Active involvement of owner/developer of unit to evolve the unit after user feedback
    • Availability of instructors/support
    • End user tested & acceptability
    • BOV installed
    • Ability to plumb in a redundant computer(other than stock unit supplied)
    • Ease of set up and maintenance after dive
    • Long Scrubber duration(3hrs +)
    • Modular adaptability
    • Ease of maintenance
    • Availability of spare parts and user interchangeable
    • Low weight for air transport and ability to be taken as on board luggage
    • Complete unit ready to dive without modifications
    • Able to do deep dives without modification
    • Ability to dive unit in warm and cold water
    • Good trim without adding trim weights
    • Low profile streamlined unit
    Many thanks to all in advance for your comments

Warren

RBW Member Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko's Avatar
    HH Inspiration / Joki

Dolphin, Megalodon, RGU

Re: Rebreather Wish List/Challenges

OK, i will be the first with my opinion.

the unit that fit perfectly with your requiremente is....

rEvo

Best

Mikel

Classic KISS No. 226 RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark's Avatar
    Classic KISS w. Shearwater GF

Quote Originally Posted by warren72  View Original Post
    All,

I have searched through the forums, manufacture websites and contacted some RBW members by e-mail in my search for info.

What I am specifically looking for is feedback on which make/model of rebreather fits these criteria and also what challenges you may have faced diving that particular unit.
    • MCCR
    • Durable unit
    • Active involvement of owner/developer of unit to evolve the unit after user feedback
    • BOV installed
    • Modular adaptability
    • Ease of maintenance

Warren
    It sounds like you're either describing any one of the rEvo family with the exception of a BOV, but that's a very simple after market add... or alternatively wait as I'm sure Paul has one in the wings. or a Classic KISS.

Rich

Unbanned cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn's Avatar

You will get everything you need from an Apoc. Well except for an actual unit, but it should be along soon.

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

Good luck.

Come back in twenty years.

Currently you can pick a unit based on a couple of those items and modify how you dive to suit but this is not a mature market and we are all, to a measure, the crash test dummies of the scuba world. The very size of your list and the sort of things on it convince me that you should not be diving a rebreather because you want one you can trust.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Ditto what they all said- rEvo or CK are closest fit, in that order IMO.

Apoc maybe when it arrives, depending on the eventual spec.

Right now, if money is burning a hole in your pocket, go for the rEvo- Paul is very switched on, constantly evolving the product and is very focussed on WOB reduction which is a good thing, also I'd wager a rEvo BOV can't be far around the corner.

Banned Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn's Avatar
    Apoc

Drager

Quote Originally Posted by cramerdn  View Original Post
    You will get everything you need from an Apoc.
    Even once it ships the Apoc still doesn't meet all of those criteria, as it only has a 2:45hr scrubber duration @ 4'c, the OP specified a scrubber duration of 3hrs+ as a requirement.

Also depends on OP's definition of deep, and if the trim weight issue is additional trim weights or included trim weight.

Does look like a Hybrid rEvo with a JJ-CCr BOV would be the closest off the shelf option at the moment to meet that list of requirements.

Regards
    Brad

RBW Member jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c's Avatar
    rEvo

Megalodon

I think a lot of the MCCR units will come close to this. Some of your criteria might need refining.

I would say the Meg might be an option for you:
    *Mccr
    *durable - probably one of the most solid rbs.
    *Unit evolution - there is some evolution of the MCCR unit. Variable ADV things like that.
    *Instructors/support - there is a lot of it world wide -Where you live I don't know?
    *BOV installed - Not as standard, but there is one on the way.
    *Ability to plumb in redundant computer - Easy, shearwaters, X1, 4th cell via CL.
    *Ease of set-up/maintenance - I think the meg is very easy. The revo might be easier? I think this is personal preference
    *Long scrubber duration - Meg standard axial is 3hrs cold water. Longer n warm water. Or, get a meg radial..
    *Modular adaptability - this is what I love about the meg. Change the can size, change the scrubber (have a mini can with axial scrubber, or a long can with big radial), stick on any size tanks, de-invert tanks, side mount tanks, add a BMCL kit (soon :) )
    *Spare parts - easy to get from ISC or your local meg support. To be honest I've used 1 spare part in 2.5 years, and bought 4 extra orings to go in the spares kit.
    *Low weight for air transport - The meg isn't the lightest unit, but its not the heaviest. It can go totally as carry on - I stick the can in checked baggage because its unlikely to get broken :) head unit, loop and lungs tend to go as carry on.
    *Unit ready to dive without mods - All MCCRS are ready to dive without mods. It totally depends on what you want to do with it, how you want to change it to suit you.
    *Able to do deep dives without mods - define deep? define mods? All MCCRs will do 80m without mods. If you want to go deeper, then meg, plug in an offboard bottle to the CL.
    *dive warm or cold water - again, they will all do this. Depends on what your requirements are? Me, I dive a drysuit in 30 degree celcius water, so its all cold to me :)
    *Good trim without adding trim weights -This varies widely between people. I don't use trim weights on the meg and I have heavy feet.
    *Low profile, streamlined - The meg is average on this. Its as wide as an al80. The counterlungs are a different matter and are personal preference. In some ways I like them, because they keep everything neat and hidden away, pressure guages inside the CLs pouch, offbord gas addition on cls. In other ways they add bulk to the unit. I'm very keen on trying the BMCLs because I think this is going to be pretty nice.

Hope that helps. The reality is they will all pretty much do what you want - its the little things that make the difference. The first thing will probably be what support/training you have for each unit locally, whether you want over the shoulder or back mounted CLs. Then quite often after that its the one that you like the look of, or the one that feels comfiest to dive.

Myself, I would consider a Meg or a Revo.

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

Quote Originally Posted by jo_c  View Original Post
    I think a lot of the MCCR units will come close to this. Some of your criteria might need refining.

I would say the Meg might be an option for you:
    *Mccr
    *durable - probably one of the most solid rbs.
    *Unit evolution - there is some evolution of the MCCR unit. Variable ADV things like that.
    *Instructors/support - there is a lot of it world wide -Where you live I don't know?
    *BOV installed - Not as standard, but there is one on the way.
    *Ability to plumb in redundant computer - Easy, shearwaters, X1, 4th cell via CL.
    *Ease of set-up/maintenance - I think the meg is very easy. The revo might be easier? I think this is personal preference
    *Long scrubber duration - Meg standard axial is 3hrs cold water. Longer n warm water. Or, get a meg radial..
    *Modular adaptability - this is what I love about the meg. Change the can size, change the scrubber (have a mini can with axial scrubber, or a long can with big radial), stick on any size tanks, de-invert tanks, side mount tanks, add a BMCL kit (soon :) )
    *Spare parts - easy to get from ISC or your local meg support. To be honest I've used 1 spare part in 2.5 years, and bought 4 extra orings to go in the spares kit.
    *Low weight for air transport - The meg isn't the lightest unit, but its not the heaviest. It can go totally as carry on - I stick the can in checked baggage because its unlikely to get broken :) head unit, loop and lungs tend to go as carry on.
    *Unit ready to dive without mods - All MCCRS are ready to dive without mods. It totally depends on what you want to do with it, how you want to change it to suit you.
    *Able to do deep dives without mods - define deep? define mods? All MCCRs will do 80m without mods. If you want to go deeper, then meg, plug in an offboard bottle to the CL.
    *dive warm or cold water - again, they will all do this. Depends on what your requirements are? Me, I dive a drysuit in 30 degree celcius water, so its all cold to me :)
    *Good trim without adding trim weights -This varies widely between people. I don't use trim weights on the meg and I have heavy feet.
    *Low profile, streamlined - The meg is average on this. Its as wide as an al80. The counterlungs are a different matter and are personal preference. In some ways I like them, because they keep everything neat and hidden away, pressure guages inside the CLs pouch, offbord gas addition on cls. In other ways they add bulk to the unit. I'm very keen on trying the BMCLs because I think this is going to be pretty nice.

Hope that helps. The reality is they will all pretty much do what you want - its the little things that make the difference. The first thing will probably be what support/training you have for each unit locally, whether you want over the shoulder or back mounted CLs. Then quite often after that its the one that you like the look of, or the one that feels comfiest to dive.

Myself, I would consider a Meg or a Revo.

excellent overview, Meg is my choice every time but Paul's Revo is a close second when considering MCCR options.

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

All,

• MCCR
    • Durable unit
    • BOV installed
    • Modular adaptability
    • Ease of maintenance

Warren
    MCCR because you think it is more safe or because you live in remote location where any electronic repair (shipping back to factory) is a main concern?

If the answer is the first I would bet for a Meg or a Sentinel. Both can be dived manual. On the Meg you can fit many backup or dive computers, the Sentinel has already the primary and the backup PO2 display and optionally a second independent computer.
    You would like a scrubber with long duration and dive it deep but how deep? Bigger scrubber = Higher WOB.
    Meg is well know for his modularity and easy to travel with, Sentinl will come soon with FMCL so it would be the same.
    Both are userfriendly and spares are easy to find or order.

I think you should between the many points you wrote, find the more importants for you and your kind of dives.
    Finally, try to have a test dive on the units you think are ok for you this would help you a lot then.

Hope that help

Cheers
    Nad

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast