+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MOD 1 with Andy Hayhurst

Martin Gregory Clerkin MGC has a spectacular aura about MGC has a spectacular aura about MGC has a spectacular aura about MGC has a spectacular aura about MGC has a spectacular aura about MGC's Avatar
    rEvoIII

Hammer Meg, Meg, Kiss, Inspo

MOD 1 with Andy Hayhurst

MOD1 with Andy Hayhurst (Dalses Divers)
    I've had the KISS for a while now and not "got on and dived it", I had other OC goals to complete so they took precendence over the CCR, however time was marching on and I decided to get my finger out and do MOD1, first goal was to select an Instructor, I looked at few people who cam highly recommended but no one seemed to fit my requirements without travelling a goodly distance from home, then I read that Andy had started up training again, the list of people willing to sing his praises as well as a well known instructor of my aquaintance swayed it for me and that fact that the training would be in the North was a big plus.

So day 1, I pitched up at Andy's home and met Andy, my fellow student Adam (Adamr on here I think) and Graham, Andy's partner in crime - we then proceeded to complete the course registration, medical questionaire and the obligatory disclaimers etc!
    Andy takes us through the course presentation slides, explaining all the details as we go through each item - covering all the items takes most of the day, then we bring our units in from the cars and do a strip down and rebuild - all the various parts are explained together with helpful tips and things to watch out for, then its a short trip back to the hotel for a nice pint and some dinner!

Day 2, I arrive at Capernwray for 9am as planned, meet up with Andy, Adam & Graham, we build up the units, fill scrubbers and generaly prepare for dive #1 its to be shallow 6m max, with a weight check to start with. Andy goes over what we'll be doing and what's expected, including the little cards with various problems for us to solve.
    We get ready and prebreath the units ready for the dive, walk over to the water, get set then drop down - I go down like a stone , I had 6kg on the belt, by dive #3 I've dropped this to 3kg which is just about right, once sorted we do a bubble check and bailout drill and off we go. Buoyancy is not as bad as I thought it might be, once I've got the hang of this minimum loop lark, it works quite well - we swim off to get away from the maddening OC crowd and go through various problem situations, Adam's flying his unit manually (Classic Inspo) for this dive, we both seem to do quite well and I'm quite happy. Andy has us running the units at 1.0 for 15 minutes or so, to check out that we can keep a setpoint without any danger of us running high PO2.
    One thing that is pissing me off, is my mask keeps sucking onto my face , irritating but I figure it out - my blessed trim is wrong for the KISS, I've worked very hard (like others) to get nice flat trim, but because of the back mounted counter lung it doesn't work well - I need a more heads up position, once you hit it right its a very sweet breathe, another source of major annoyance is reaching the valves - exactly the opposite of my problems doing shut downs on twinsets, cos the KISS is a small unit the valves are a fairway up your back and I'm just not flexible enough to get hold of the buggers comfortably and quickly (poise for Modification number 1), anyway we swim back in, my PO2 starts dropping off and I hit the injector but no joy, the sods turned my O2 off, manage to turn it back on and we carry on going up gradually no major issues and I hit the surface to plan and position, nice .
    Dive #2, more of the same, Andy's letting us get used to the units with just the right level of drills to keep us from getting complacent but not stressing us out too much, nice dive, buoyancy is a bit more all over the place this dive but nothing too serious, another hour under water complete, out the water and strip the units down, empty the scrubbers and wash/dry everything out ready for tomorrow.

Day 3, Back to Capernwray again for 2 more dives, deeper this time, it’s a lovely day the Sun is shining and its nice and warm, we prep the units and get ready, we have a brief, more of the same as yesterday but deep this time, 18m Max planned depth, so we drop in 3m bubble check and bailout drill then descend, Adam has a problem clearing his ears so he has to abort the dive – he is seen safely back to shore then Andy, Graham and I carry on – more drills different scenario’s, which go Ok, then I have a bit of a problem – I can’t seem to get my breath, there’s plenty of gas there I just can’t breathe and my chest feels really tight – I bailout and try to get my breathing under control – Andy’s right there in case I need help, once I settle down I’m Ok, weird it came out of nowhere, but I feel fine so we carry on and finish the dive.

Andy & Graham have to take in some guys on a check dive, they want to complete a Trimix course, so I have sometime to relax, Adam goes in again and this time his ears are Ok, I have a nice time laying in the Sun and chilling.

Dive #4, more of the same and this time we get to do mask flood and clear, yeah – I make a bit of hash off it, using far too much gas, grrrr and we carry on. Hour number 4 complete.

Out strip the units, clean up, have a natter and a debrief and that’s it for me this weekend – next weekend is Part 2 at Wastwater in the lake disctrict for the deeper stuff.

So, am I enjoying it? Yes I am, it’s a lot different to OC, there are lots of things that can go wrong, but good preparation and vigilance during the dive and things will be fine.
    I found the KISS easy to get on with, holding the PO2 steady was easy once I’d got the hang of it and the Shearwater was a joy to use, nice clear readout and all the other info to hand, I did fined to HUD a little difficult to read in the shallows but fine out of the Sun
    Would I recommend Andy & Graham? Well I’m going to say yes (they maybe reading this!) but seriously, straight forward, down to earth instruction, I felt very safe in the water on a strange unit with them in attendance and I’m really looking forward to next instalment…..watch this space.

RBW Member gwilson is an unknown quantity at this point gwilson's Avatar

Re: MOD 1 with Andy Hayhurst

Good luck next weekend, I can sympathize with the flat trim thing and mask squeeze.

What do you think caused the unexplained cant get a breath? I've had the same thing once at a very shallow depth and felt really uncomfortable, switched to open circuit and could breathe ok, went back on the loop and same thing happened again, I havent got a clue as to why though.

Martin Gregory Clerkin MGC has a spectacular aura about MGC has a spectacular aura about MGC has a spectacular aura about MGC has a spectacular aura about MGC has a spectacular aura about MGC's Avatar
    rEvoIII

Quote Originally Posted by gwilson  View Original Post
    Good luck next weekend, I can sympathize with the flat trim thing and mask squeeze.

What do you think caused the unexplained cant get a breath? I've had the same thing once at a very shallow depth and felt really uncomfortable, switched to open circuit and could breathe ok, went back on the loop and same thing happened again, I havent got a clue as to why though.
    I pretty much put it down to tiredness really, following Graham around is hard work! so I just got out of breath (I think), took me a liitle time to get sorted though

RBW Member SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MGC  View Original Post
    I pretty much put it down to tiredness really, following Graham around is hard work! so I just got out of breath (I think), took me a liitle time to get sorted though
    Pleased it is going well mate. Beware over exertion on the Kiss.

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=16350

My experience on the same unit might be relevant.

Best Wishes,

Steve

Classic KISS No. 226 RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark's Avatar
    Classic KISS w. Shearwater GF

You might want to check that your counterlungs are attached properly at the base. I had one of the lungs fold up after an entry and was able to get a full breath. After over pressurising the lungs it obviously fully inflated and I was fine to carry on.

Cheers

rEvoIII

Quote Originally Posted by RichClark  View Original Post
    You might want to check that your counterlungs are attached properly at the base. I had one of the lungs fold up after an entry and was able to get a full breath. After over pressurising the lungs it obviously fully inflated and I was fine to carry on.

Cheers
    Thanks Rich, I religiously made sure they were attached properly before the dive, I more inclined to think I should make up a leash to attached to grahams harness so he can pull me round rather than trying to keep up with him

rEvoIII

Part #2

I won't bore you all with a long winded explanation, so, two days at Wastwater, superb weather, day 1 - 2 dives to 35m, bailout drills etc, enjoying it more than last weekend, buoyancy is spot on - I'm using the 5lt cylinders today so don't need any weight, cold but pleasant diving.
    Day 2, deeper today, first dive to 45m, bailout at depth - Andy tries to kill me with that bloody jetstream, I can't find the purge button, so I swap to my bailout and get things back under control, back on loop and all is well, I have found that keeping the PPO2 steady is reasonably easy, just watch that display on a steady basis, the O2 flow is set perfectly with just the odd squirt to keep things in range, ascents are fine again I didn't find it too hard to keep the PPO2 in range - we did come up nice and steady, probably find it more difficult on a quicker ascent.
    Descents I found more difficult in one way, the PPO2 I could keep in the right place without too much bother but pulling in dil through the ADV I found quite taxing - I guess I just need to HTFU
    Last dive was a fun dive - coming back up, we were quite shallow around 5.5m when I gets lots of gurgling and noises behind my head, I'm breathing fine but the noise freaks me out, so I bailout, buoyancy goes to rat sh#t but I get it back with the help of Foggy (cheers buddy) and finish the dive on OC - cause, about half a gallon of slaver in the loop I got distracted by the noise and the loop overpressurised, the OPV kicked in and I had a bit of a moment, lesson learnt, don't ignore the gurgles - clear the loop and vent on ascent a bit better (I done fine up until then).

I had a great weekend, Adam joined us on Saturday to finish off his course and once the lazy git finishes the exam I believe he's cracked it (well done mate ), my thanks to Andy (top bloke) for the excellent instruction and making it a fun experience, Graham for all the help and guidance (and the Gas), Simon TW for being Simon really , Foggy, Chris & David - it was really good to meet you all.

Personal note: I know I'm on the first (baby) step on CCR and I have a lot of experience to gain and diving to do - I'm gonna take it easy and build on things steadily.
    My impressions of the KISS, great unit, nice and easy to get on with, service and dive - WOB is high when you are working hard to keep up but nothing to worry about, it's a different kind of breathing on CCR, once you are used to it, it's fine, when you get the trim right it's effortless

Final words - would I recommend Dalesdivers (Andy & Graham), well I don't think they need me to big them up, enough people know of them and what they're about - but YES I would, I have been really lucky to have had such good instructors on my technical diving journey, Mark, Clare and now Andy & Graham, you've all made me feel alot more comfortable, in the water & about my diving (I'm choking up here ) so Thank You Very Much.....it's all gone very quiet down here

Train Wrecked Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive's Avatar
    rEvo hccr

KISS CLASSIC

Nice write up...

I too and recently certified on the KISS and I didn't find the trim to be as bad as everyone told me... drop the knees a bit and break cave trim and it breaths nice.

But I did not find the transition as bad as everyone told me. I still have a long way to go and a lot to learn as well.. but so far it is fun.

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Tekdive  View Original Post
    I didn't find the trim to be as bad as everyone told me...
    Interesting comment, personally I find it trims well but I guess thats very dependant upon what tanks you fit etc.

rEvoIII

Perhaps I wasn't too clear, the unit trims out fine, I can swim it flatter than my twin set
    I just find that its an easier breathe out of flat trim
    It was getting better as the dives went on so it may have just been a learning curve and adjusting my expectations to what the KISS can deliver, I had a great time, so I don't want folks to think I was being negative

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast