+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cable glands source

RBW Member uwmadness is a jewel in the rough uwmadness is a jewel in the rough uwmadness is a jewel in the rough uwmadness is a jewel in the rough uwmadness is a jewel in the rough uwmadness is a jewel in the rough uwmadness is a jewel in the rough uwmadness's Avatar

Cable glands source

I was looking at Jdz Po2 monitors and I would be pleased to know the source of those cable glands, the SS ones.
    A part number is appreciated

Thank you

Fabio
    Last edited by uwmadness; 25th December 2005 at 02:41. Reason: text correction

Joseph Grech Joseph Grech is an unknown quantity at this point Joseph Grech's Avatar

Re: Cable glands source

Try www.tecme.de they have good stainless steel glands.

WEB MERMEN wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang's Avatar
    Inspo-Meg-PosMkVI-CCRDolphin

Prism,rEVO,Mk15.5,KISS,Hmblds

Hi UWmadness, if it is JDS's (Richard's) HUD PPO2 meter you mean then it is a std swagelock fitting. JDZ should have the part number on one of the bags still.

We exchanged the SS olive inside with a silicone tube slipped over the cable sheath and then tightened up. We used the same method on Harry's HUD as well and it has been to 140 or so.

Hope that helps.

Darlene Starr - DIY Diva Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uwmadness
    I was looking at Jdz Po2 monitors and I would be pleased to know the source of those cable glands, the SS ones.
    A part number is appreciated

Thank you

Fabio
    I'm supposing that you're referring to this implementation of Swageloc fittings:

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/gallery/img593.html

Here's the link to the swageloc catalog for those fittings:

http://www.swagelok.com/downloads/we.../MS-01-140.pdf

Page 12 shows the simplest way to do it using a tube to pipe thread male adapter.

The downside to pipe threads is that, being a tapered thread, they exert outward force and if tightened too much, or impacted laterally, would crack small walls like a HUD display tube has.

A better solution would be to use SAE straight thread fittings with the O ring you'll see on page 17. ... or possibly the O-Seal connectors on page 18. ..... Avoiding the use of tapered pipe threads in plastic is always an excellent idea.

I gave you the catalog site url, as you can choose whether you want to use inch sizes or metric.

Food for thought, of course, is that if you run wires thru a plastic tube, then the whole system is at ambient pressure, but more importantly, it's all at risk if there's a leak anywhere in the system. After spending hundreds of $$ on a HUD and controller system, I'd hate to toast the controller module because the display's plastic tube cracked or a fitting leaked. The advantage, is that it's a lot cheaper for some fittings and plastic tubing than submersible cables and connectors. If it never leaks, you come out ahead.

As I'm building a HUD project myself, I've had that consideration and elected to build a 1 ata system where each part is sealed and they interconnect with cables that plug into the main module. If any leak occurs, it's confined to that item. The expensive controller stays protected.

Hope all my rambling is of some help,
    Merry Christmas,

Darlene

RBW Member uwmadness is a jewel in the rough uwmadness is a jewel in the rough uwmadness is a jewel in the rough uwmadness is a jewel in the rough uwmadness is a jewel in the rough uwmadness is a jewel in the rough uwmadness is a jewel in the rough uwmadness's Avatar

Thank you and Marry Christmas

I've used Sealcon plastic glands in the past but for rebs applications (ambient pressure) and I would like to move to 1atm stuff...

I think the best way is using glands in which fits an oring,
    when posting I was thinking of my Halcyon light...
    Now I have something to work on

Thanks again

Fabio

Darlene Starr - DIY Diva Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uwmadness
    Thank you and Marry Christmas

I've used Sealcon plastic glands in the past but for rebs applications (ambient pressure) and I would like to move to 1atm stuff...

I think the best way is using glands in which fits an oring,
    when posting I was thinking of my Halcyon light...
    Now I have something to work on

Thanks again

Fabio
    The 2 sources I can think of for actual cable glands are RS-Components and Sealcon. While there is a good size range in both nylon and nickle plated brass, there are also some sizes in stainless steel, if you need that.

The RS website is down for maintenance till the 27th:

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/br...2&cacheID=ukie

http://www.sealconusa.com/strainrelief_index.htm

+ Reply to Thread