64 36.36%
  • <60 meters /180ft

15 8.52%
  • >60 meters / 180ft

13 7.39%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: How Deep Do You Dive With Air Dil

RBW Member Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge's Avatar
    rEvo II

Evolution

Re: How Deep Do You Dive With Air Dil

Quote Originally Posted by Mixaddict  View Original Post
    Gill,

For me, my experience has been just the opposite. I typically feel the narcosis shallower on CCR than I do on OC. I suspect that it is due to the increased task loading of a CCR.

Regards,
    Randy
    Randy,

I suspect it's the oxygen. O2, being a heavier molecule had been speculated to be just as or more narcotic than nitrogen.

Serge
    Last edited by Serge; 15th April 2009 at 12:12.

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

Re: How Deep Do You Dive With Air Dil

Quote Originally Posted by Serge  View Original Post
    How do you figure the rebreather is a vast improvement in narcosis?
    that's a fair and poignant question. Considering how the END of air diluent to OC air is not that great when deep and how square profile divers do not report much difference in narcosis it would be natural to come to the conclusion that there is little to no reduction in narcosis on CCR.

That said, my experience has lead me to a different conclusion for the diving I do. I do very few square profile dives at this point, so maybe that is where the difference is in how much better I feel diving CCR/air dill. While there is not an easy explanation for it, I have found that the effect of narcosis and nitrogen in general is far less for the diving I am doing now than what it would be like if I were doing the same dives on OC air. Perhaps the fact that I am not having to worry so much about running out of air and racking up deco makes me feel better. Maybe i'm just more relaxed and notice the effects less. I admit that my assertion probably has more to do with my experience than a good physics principle and likely relates to the profiles I tend to dive, which admittedly do not appear to be representative of a lot of deep wreck or deep cave divers.

That said, given that I'm referring mostly to extended range reef diving which is stair steped, not square profile, with limited time at max depth, I do think there is a benefit of less narcosis, increasing with ascent (most of my bottom time is spent in stepped ascent up-slope rather than stops) with this kind of profile. Where I notice the benefit the most is on ascent where the difference in END begins to increase, improved off gassing (improved over OC air) really racks up and that effects my head.

I just would not be able to do these profiles on OC without getting fried mentally and as much as i'm sold on the benefits of trimix, it won't be available in most of my favorite recesses of the south pacific, maybe ever, so I plan to remain accustom to diving mid range without it even once trimix certified.

g
    Last edited by Gill Envy; 15th April 2009 at 23:45.

Gill Envy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7