+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quick Sealing connects 'help'

RBW Member Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck's Avatar
    Dolphin

Quick Sealing connects 'help'

Does anyone have any experience with ‘Swagelok’ Quick Connects?
    I am looking for what has worked in the past.

Specifically looking for a unit that has the following attributes.
    Zero (or very limited) intrusion, ‘pressure on’ while connecting, lower pressure connection (150 to 300psi,) Nitrox and oxygen compatible.

What is the required flow rate for a downstream 2nds stage to breathe appropriately from? Is there a industry standard for diving compared to the 3/8-24 fitting?

Is ‘Flourcarbon FKM’ oxygen safe?

I am thinking that Bill Stone used something similar in the ‘Cis-Lunar’ units?

I am working on something- (evil laugh.)

Thanks, Andrew

PS- Merry Christmas and watch out for Reindeer crap…
    Does Santa bring rebreathers….8)

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Re: Quick Sealing connects 'help'

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyduck
    PS- Merry Christmas and watch out for Reindeer crap…
    You tell us that now?
    Attached Images

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyduck
    Does anyone have any experience with ‘Swagelok’ Quick Connects?
    I am looking for what has worked in the past.
    Andrew,

I have used the Swagelok QC-6 connectors with the PVR-BASC unit back in 1998, it worked fine and was needed for the high-er gas flow needed for SCR.

In addition, I have used the QC-4 connectors with the MK-15 unit since 2000, it also worked well for the low-er gas flow needed to top off loop volume.

Both are not exactly "zero-water-intrusion" which means a few dropplets will be introduced into the system when you plug/unplug the connectors u/w (i.e. gas switching from bottom mix to deco mix on the PVR, for example), but this amount is minimal and not critical unless you have a small orifice (i.e. KISS) for the gas to flow thru. Then the orifice might get clogged after a prolonged period of use.

If you are planning to use the connector for much higher flow of OC-bail-out, then I suggest the QC-6 since the rated flow is higher in exchange for lower pressure rating.

Personally, I am incorporating the APV GCS connector system into my unit over the holiday since they are much lighter weight than the QC-series. And cheaper as well, not mentioning easier to work with since they use standard scuba rubber hoses.

HTH

Decodiver

I have the QC4 fittings on the manual gas blocks on my Ouroboros, as Phi says though, these are for a lesser flow.

Cheers,

Dave Cooper.

RBW Member JimG is on a distinguished road JimG is on a distinguished road JimG's Avatar
    KISS and rEVO

I've had a swagelok QC-6 connector set on my classic kiss for the past year and a half. I use it to connect my off-board bail-out dil to the dil manifold. I also installed a swagelok shut-off valve. I usually leave the QC-6 connected with the valve off during long cave dives, although when I do multiple shallow openwater dives/day on a live-aboard I'll leave the on-board dil off and use the off-board dil as it is easier to fill.

I have unconnected and connected the QC-6 underwater and under pressure with no problems. Thus far, I haven't had any trouble with the swagelok connectors or shut-off valve.

JimG
    Tampa

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit or a Camelion

and 11 others inc. a UT-240

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    Andrew,

I have used the Swagelok QC-6 connectors with the PVR-BASC unit back in 1998, it worked fine and was needed for the high-er gas flow needed for SCR.

In addition, I have used the QC-4 connectors with the MK-15 unit since 2000, it also worked well for the low-er gas flow needed to top off loop volume.

Both are not exactly "zero-water-intrusion" which means a few dropplets will be introduced into the system when you plug/unplug the connectors u/w (i.e. gas switching from bottom mix to deco mix on the PVR, for example), but this amount is minimal and not critical unless you have a small orifice (i.e. KISS) for the gas to flow thru. Then the orifice might get clogged after a prolonged period of use.

If you are planning to use the connector for much higher flow of OC-bail-out, then I suggest the QC-6 since the rated flow is higher in exchange for lower pressure rating.

Personally, I am incorporating the APV GCS connector system into my unit over the holiday since they are much lighter weight than the QC-series. And cheaper as well, not mentioning easier to work with since they use standard scuba rubber hoses.

HTH
    Hey bud,

Just a word on experience. Namely mine;)
    I use the AP GCS system and the female keeps getting stuck up with salt and sh1t. I dive in salt water every week and meticulously clean my stuff but it has done this twice now. When I state stuck, I mean that when you disconnect it from the mating part, it does not seal. A good dip in the ultrasonic bath and its sorted again.
    Maybe someone else can comment on their experience in relation to this.

Conclusion? If you have to use the GCS in anger, be prepared to shut down your gas.
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM
    www.puwer.co.uk PUWER and Machinery CE Marking www.ce-eu.com

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by divetheworld
    I use the AP GCS system and the female keeps getting stuck up with salt and sh1t.
    Do you plug/unplug the connection u/w ?

Someone else also told me that it is depth-limited.

Damn, and I have bought 2 brand new complete sets as well... Oh well, I will try them anyway to see if I have better luck.

Decodiver

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    Someone else also told me that it is depth-limited.
    To what depth Phi?

Cheers,

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Decodiver
    To what depth Phi?
    Supposedly 50m, the person who had the flow problem said it happened as early as 30m...

ive tried the ap ones in anger at 90m and they were rated to 50m but they worked fine with no noticed drop in permormance

although they do take a little tlc when used in saltwater

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast