+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cave diving in Song Hong

ANDI IT #47 andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk's Avatar
    Hammerhead, Optima and Nautilu

Hammerhead, Inspiration, Kiss

Cave diving in Song Hong

Just on are way back from a excellent trip to southern Thailand diving in Song Hong. Roger Smith, myself and with the help of William Hudson staged a to total of 9 tanks down to 100 meters on the first dive.
    The second day we were planning a 30 bt time down to 130 m with a total of 6 hours runtime. We had planned such a long bottom time do to the amount of slow descent times to reach 130 meters. On the dive we had gotten near are depth limit actually 124 meters when a pressure gauge had imploded on the rb. I was on a Inspiration classic and Roger was on his Meg. After the loud boom decided to start to head to the surface. On the way up we managed to pick up all the stage tanks we left plus the 3 oc bailout tanks we had on us. William had come down and met us at are 21 meter stop to help recover some of the tanks. Actually never thought we would make it that far with out scooters but managed quite easily. Next trip we will try for 140 - 150 meters and the beginning of the horizontal tunnel that is suppose to be at that depth. Not quite as impressive of a Dive that Mike had done in the past but appreciate the line and direction to travel. We had used ANDI Gap software and Cochran EMC 20 computers on the dive with no problems at all. Thanks alot William with the help of all the tanks for us.

andibk

Rebreather numpty aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord's Avatar
    APD Evo+

Re: Cave diving in Song Hong

Quote Originally Posted by andibk  View Original Post
    we had gotten near are depth limit actually 124 meters when a pressure gauge had imploded
    Geez, just so I know, next time I dive to 124 metres (I'm about 90 metres short of that so far :)) what is the effect on cylinder pressure integrity when a gauge implodes? Total loss, no effect, or what?!

RBW Member snicks will become famous soon enough snicks will become famous soon enough snicks will become famous soon enough snicks's Avatar

Hey Bruce, great job!!!

Glad you made it unharmed. How long was your total RT and did you have to go of the loop?

Greets
    Dirk

ANDI IT #47 andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk's Avatar
    Hammerhead, Optima and Nautilu

Hammerhead, Inspiration, Kiss

When the gauge imploded in made a loud bang. I was not sure of where the bang came from but first thing I did was check my gauges. The glass of the dil gauge was all cracked with parts of the glass missing. I did not see any bubbles or any loss gas but figured it was time to go up. I stayed on the loop but checked the gauge readings more often. At the surface when I looked at the gauge the needle was stuck in place. I have not checked the cylinder pressure to see if there was any loss gas. I do not think I did since there was no bubbles just a loud bang. The planned runtime was around 6 hours. Not sure exactly how long we actually stayed in the water since we cut the time but it must have only been about 1 1/2 hours.

andibk

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

Hi Bruce,

Nice job, I just got back my stage from song hong that was left 2 years ago from our first expedition. Oliver on Lanta brought it out, empty of course.

The cave drops very quick to 140m theirs no need to follow the ceilings you can drop off at the entrance or anytime after and hit 120m mark the cave then runs gradually deeper.

cheers

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

I know a couple of Canadian divers who are anxious to join you in Song Hong.
    Dive safe buddy.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

+ Reply to Thread