+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kiss Classic Without Backplate, What's it like?

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

Kiss Classic Without Backplate, What's it like?

Just a random curious thought. I think there are a few people diving the CK without a backplate, do you reckon the WOB is better ( i had no problems with it as is), and would putting on a wing like the Apoc be a good way to go, with the harness attaching directly to the counterlung case?

I guess you could go further, add a more modern BOV too.

Really just thinking of the comments on the other thread, and what minimal changes would bring the Kisses back toward the top of the list - maybe that is a good idea for a seperate thread

Dave

RBW Member edenfeldt will become famous soon enough edenfeldt will become famous soon enough edenfeldt will become famous soon enough edenfeldt's Avatar

Re: Kiss Classic Without Backplate, What's it like?

I bought a rebreather back plate from a local guy who makes flat plates, this brings the counter lung case flat to my back but the difference is not more then maybe a centimeter compared to a normal back plate. So I am not sure it is worth the effort. However it may be worth using only the counter lung case as a back plate if you are traveling a lot since you don’t need to have your back plate with you.

I think as others have suggested before that if you want to decrease WOB you would look more towards changing the BOV and the hoses and maybe make other small changes to the gas path to optimize it. I have changed to Cooper hoses and a Halcyon BOV. Just by breathing it on land it feels different. If you use the counter lung case as a back plate post some pictures, I would love to see it.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

I wouldent want a soft harnes. I found on the Inspo they alowed the unit to move arround a bit too much for my liking. You can get some very flat back Aluminium plates so I prefer that.

Simple improvements to imporve the KISS?

• JJ BOV
    • Shearwater HUD
    • Shearwater in line deco display (debatable)
    • John Falcone ADV
    • Easier access to the counterlungs

More complex improvements?

• Flood revovery improved
    • Simple access to the 02 Cells

ATB

Mark

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

I was thinking slots for webbing in counterlung case (and matching one sin the wing center section) to get rid of a a backplate soft or hard totally.

It's all moot right now, coz I haven't got one, but have it in mind to buy one perhaps if the price is right. better BOV, hoses etc. were what I was thinking too, but I did ask if I could buy a new one without monitoring, MAV, regs and loop, as I have 2 Sports these can come from, but it's not possible (understandably). But if soemone offerd just that at the right price, I'd be inclined to go for it.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1w  View Original Post
    I was thinking slots for webbing in counterlung case (and matching one sin the wing center section) to get rid of a a backplate soft or hard totally.

It's all moot right now, coz I haven't got one, but have it in mind to buy one perhaps if the price is right. better BOV, hoses etc. were what I was thinking too, but I did ask if I could buy a new one without monitoring, MAV, regs and loop, as I have 2 Sports these can come from, but it's not possible (understandably). But if soemone offerd just that at the right price, I'd be inclined to go for it.

Id do it with the SS back case but the Aluminium one is a bit thin and may need reinforcing.

ATB

Mark

Another Dilligaf Diver nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    Id do it with the SS back case but the Aluminium one is a bit thin and may need reinforcing.

Why's that then Chasey? Is there a risk of you breaking it!

Regards...Paul

RBW Member jale is on a distinguished road jale is on a distinguished road jale's Avatar
    Triton,Sidekick, Joki, C96

Flex, HH

Hi,
    Or wouldn't it be easier to just get rid of the counterlung case and put the unit directly on a backplate (don' t forget to attach the lower part of the counterlungs of course!)? That way, it pack smaller, is lighter and you still have a backplate if you want to switch to double. Or it doesn' t make sense?!
    Jale

EXPLORER jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz's Avatar
    rEvo, PRISM, KISS

Modccr Dolphin, SM CCR, Satori

I have slotted my c/lung housing and run the webbing through it like a standard backplate... I just affix the wing to the housing with two flat screws down the centre and the wing is sandwiched between the c/lung housing and my back.. quite comfy... no issues.. can put up pics if interested...

Cheers, JDZ

Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by jdz  View Original Post
    I have slotted my c/lung housing and run the webbing through it like a standard backplate... I just affix the wing to the housing with two flat screws down the centre and the wing is sandwiched between the c/lung housing and my back.. quite comfy... no issues.. can put up pics if interested...

Cheers, JDZ
    That's exactly what I was thinking.
    Pics would be interesting if you have time.
    Cheers
    Dave

EXPLORER jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz's Avatar
    rEvo, PRISM, KISS

Modccr Dolphin, SM CCR, Satori

Give me a few hours... need to get home from work etc...
    (Don't you hate it when work gets in the way of leisure...)

Cheers, JDZ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast