+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Addis Charters - Part 4

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Addis Charters - Part 4

Yet another installment for your favorite dive operation. Addis Charters in the event that you haven't been keeping up the the trip reports.

Adrian (sfldiver) and myself were planning an afternoon dive to the Lowrance at a max depth of around 200'. We had all of our gear at the dock waiting for Capt. Jeff to show up. We were pleasantly surpised to find that Jeff was only 30 minutes late rather than his usual 1-2 hours. Upon his arrival, in the pouring rain, it was discovered that he had forgot to lower the bimini top and the bridge had removed it for him. Now we are looking at a long ride to the site without any cover or a dry place to donn our drysuits either.

Oh well, Adrian was a trooper and talked me into continuing for the dive. Then we discovered that there was not enough room on the boat for our dive gear. It seems that Jeff felt that it was more important to be carrying an 80 pound bail of marijuana and 2 (yes 2 of them) full kegs of beer than have adequete room for his passengers and there belongings. Adrian held Jeff down while I tranferred the unnecessary itme to my truck and looaded the dive gear on the boat. Have you ever tried to take a steak out of the mouth of a domerman with rabies, that should give you an idea of what Jeff was looking and acting like at this point. He didn't settle down until we promised him strippers after the dive.

When we finally cleared the inlet, we were informed that the dive site had been changed to the Hydro since Jeff didn't bring enough BO gas for the Lowrance. Our confidence in this Capt is really starting to deteriorate at this point, but we take the high ground and go along with him to avoid any issues with rabies and such.

We were informed that there was NO current and that the seas were to remain steady for the duration. We will later find both of these to be false. Jeff spent a great deal of time trying to "hook" the wreck and for each of the 4 failed attempts, Adrian was forced to pull up the anchor manually (cheap outfit, what can I say). It is very fortunate for all that the 5th time was a charm.

We set out to hang our tanks on the equipment line, get a tag line out and get the ladder in place. We all geared up and did our predive checks. Jeff was the first one in and immmediately headed for the wreck without waiting for Adrian and myself. Adrian went in next and I followed. This is when we learned that the current was ripping. Adrian had some difficulty getting his (already worn out from anchor hoisting) arse to the equipment line and then dropped his tank in the process. Lucky for my buddy that I was on hand and immediately went head down and grabbed the tank in the nick of time. Talk about cat-like reflexes on my part (as I break my arm, patting myself on the back). I helped Adrian get his tank secured and we headed towards the anchor line. Upon reaching the anchor line Adrian was completely exhausted and thumbed the dive. He returned to the boat and left me to fend for myself (yes, even after I just saved his tank).

I began my long, slow, hard, painful (get the point) descent into a 3 knot current. It took me 10 minutes to get to 100 foot. When I got to 140' the anchor line was horizontal and the current was getting worse. All of a suddent there was no tension on the line and I was getting blown backwards. I was pulling the line as fast as I could and still drifting away. Finally the line got taut and gave me a serios case of whiplash. I could just make out Jeff on the far side of the railing. He was feeding the line out and watching me fight the current. I swear that I heard him laughing at me. Now 20 minutes into the dive and I have reached the deck of the wreck. Jeff takes off against the current and in 5 minutes he has to go to OC for sanity breaths from overbreathing the scrubber. A minute or two waiting on Jeff to get sorted out and back on the loop and we take off again. 3 fin kicks and Jeff bails out to OC and thumbs the dive. We turn and I (being the diligent buddy that I am) follow Jeff closely in the event of problems. We unhook the anchor and begin our drfting ascent on the line. Jeff kicks me in the head and shoulders climbing over me to get up the line. I was breathing 10/50 and was not about to ascend that fast. He seemed OK after that and our deco was uneventful.

We cleared deco and Jeff headed for the boat ladder. He clipped off his tank and climbed aboard. When all was clear, I began to do the same. I swam for the equipment line with my tank in hand just to watch the line get pulled out of the water in front of me. OK, f**k it, I'll climb up with both tanks clipped on. Yeah right, the ladder was next.

Now here I am floating in the ocean and my 2 buddies are not even aware that I am not onboard. The wind is blowing like hell and there is no way to make enough noise for them to hear me. I have already drifted 50' or more in just a minute. I lean back and relax while deployiong my SMB and settling in for a long wait for a rescue boat. I was getting a chuckle out of watching Adrian and Jeff try to get the anchor up this time. The waves were up to 6-8 foot by now and I was getting tossed arounf pretty good. Next thing I see is the bow of a boat right on top of me. I didn't know that I could get my butt underwater that fast, but I did. My SMB was not so lucky. It got shredded and caught in the prop. It would appear that this was the only reason that Jeff (who else would run over there own passengers) stopped. I was uninjuried and managed to get on board while they were trying to clear the prop. Thank goodness for my SMB

Now ya'all know why Jeff posted first. He has good reason to be scared. BTW Jeff, your bail of weed and kegs of beer are at your neighbors house.

If you think any of this post is factual, you are dumber than Jeff.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee's Avatar
    OPTIMA

Re: Addis Charters - Part 4

I knew there was a reason I always find an excuse not to go out on that charter.

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Hey Don.... you fix how you got that spool clipped off.......?

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

a disclaimer! Holy sh.t!

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

THATS IT!!? When Jeff posted first that a trip report was pending, and Lee's follow up about the trip being exciting, I was thinking "This ought to be good."

You guys are drama queens.

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

This was an interesting dive. Surface conditions turned out worse than expected due to a southeast wind increase and a somewhat unusual moderate surface current from the north. This made for some bigger seas than i like to dive in for my 25ft boat.

Adrian aborted on the surface and with exceptionaly long scope out ( i should have pulled some in) Don and i had a long pull to the wreck (HydroAtlantic 170fsw to the sand). The surface current was moderate, but it got worse as we descended. Soon the anchor line was about horizontal.I had to reposition the anchor (more exertion) to a more secure location and then we began the dive into the current at about 140fsw.

Long story short, i was working pretty hard throughout all this and was breathing quite rapidly. Eventually, i felt i could not catch my breath, the classic "overbreathing the scrubber". I dil flushed twice but still didn't feel good, so i bailed to O/C . I felt i got my breathing under control, but decided to turn around to head down current towards the anchor. Since i was drifting with current and no longer working hard, i decided to go back to the loop. After another dil flush, things still were not right so i bailed again and called the dive.

Don and i dealt with pulling the anchor and getting it away from the wreck into the sand and started our ascent. At my first stop at about 70 ft, i felt good so i decided to try and finish the short deco on the loop. Now back on the loop, all felt normal and i finished the deco on the loop.
    Don did get seperated from the boat on the surface, so Adrian and I cleaned up all the lines and the anchor and went got him. ( i had a brief moment of thinking of leaving him out there to his own devices, but rememberd: 1) he had a perfectly good rEvo on his back; 2) he has not finished the benches for my dive boat yet).

All back aboard in good shape, we headed for the long run (1.3 nautical miles) back to Boca Inlet.

I am still unclear as to this phenomenon of "overbreathing the scrubber". This is a buildup (temporary?) of CO2 in the loop and the blood i assume. is the fast breathing not allowing the loop gas a long enough dwell time in the scrubber to effectivly remove the CO2? I don't believe it is neccesarily related to a particular unit ( i have read about others on other units experiencing this same problem). It also never reached the same level of the "doom and gloom" and feeling like i may die as i have had happen once before. Also, i have worked as hard or harder before and not had any problems breathing. I would have also expected the dil flush and the B/O to O/C along with my workload decreasing to have solved the problem once i returned to the loop. It did not. Maybe i did not give my body enough time to eliminate the CO2.

Anyway, still had a lot of fun and always a pleasure to dive with Adrian.

Revo

Optima

You had to be there

RBW Member kgault is an unknown quantity at this point kgault's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swadiver  View Original Post
    You had to be there

Sounds like quite the adventure... Do you have openings for future trips ;)

Pete and I dove the Kings Bypass Tuesday... tunnel looks different now.

See you in a couple of weeks at Indian -- I will of course rag on you about the doubles on your back ;)

Keith

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Anyway, still had a lot of fun and always a pleasure to dive with Adrian.
    I would argue that I experienced a preminition and foresaw how unpleasant the conditions would be down below, and thumbed it to save myself lots of wasted effort!!

Or

Maybe the preminition I foresaw was of Don drifting away into the horizon in increasingly heavy seas, so I decided to thumb it early, so someone could be on the boat to quickly pull up the deco bottle lines and the anchor, so we could rescue Don before he and his shiny new revo faded into the horizon!

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

You had to be there
    Perhaps its just a flaw in the Optima....

Don tried to give me the same line of crap at Little River....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast