+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: why a kiss over other ccr ?

RBW Member deepnark will become famous soon enough deepnark will become famous soon enough deepnark will become famous soon enough deepnark will become famous soon enough deepnark's Avatar

why a kiss over other ccr ?

hi
    i curently dive on an inspiration and apart from a few minnor incidents while i was first playing with it find it to be reliable enuogh,but it is bulky and i find the counterlungs a particuler incumberance.
    So i would be interested in any feed back you have on the general useage of the kiss ,and what bits you find good or bad

cheers
    Ray

rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

Re: why a kiss over other ccr ?

Quote Originally Posted by deepnark
    hi
    i curently dive on an inspiration and apart from a few minnor incidents while i was first playing with it find it to be reliable enuogh,but it is bulky and i find the counterlungs a particuler incumberance.
    So i would be interested in any feed back you have on the general useage of the kiss ,and what bits you find good or bad

cheers
    Ray
    Hi Ray- I have a KISS Classic CCR and personally like the idea of a simple unit that needs minor maintenance that I can do myself.

I have never found having back mounted counterlungs to be a problem, and they are certainly out of the way. The unit is very easy to dive and is reliable.

I also feel that a constant flow manual CCR is the best of both worlds. It forces you to watch and manually maintain your PO2 but with minimum effort.

Gordon and Kim at the KISS factory give great customer service and fully support their product. Gordon is always working on ways to improve the KISS units and can make production changes faster than most manufacturers.

The only thing that I might be doing is adding a HUD to my unit.

Everyone has their own reasons for using the CCR that they do and those are mine.

Respectfully,

Curt

Team Torrent Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silentscuba
    Hi Ray- I have a KISS Classic CCR and personally like the idea of a simple unit that needs minor maintenance that I can do myself.

I have never found having back mounted counterlungs to be a problem, and they are certainly out of the way. The unit is very easy to dive and is reliable.

I also feel that a constant flow manual CCR is the best of both worlds. It forces you to watch and manually maintain your PO2 but with minimum effort.

Gordon and Kim at the KISS factory give great customer service and fully support their product. Gordon is always working on ways to improve the KISS units and can make production changes faster than most manufacturers.

The only thing that I might be doing is adding a HUD to my unit.

Everyone has their own reasons for using the CCR that they do and those are mine.

Respectfully,

Curt

I second everything said above. And will add one aspect of the KISS that helps - having long, slender, powerful fingers. Taking apart the Classic has always been a tight fit- time consuming chore. The CL's are especially so. Other than that with the new hose QC's the Classic is an all around performer.

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by deepnark
    hi

cheers
    Ray
    I own 3 rebreathers

A meg, Kiss sport and Kiss Classic

The meg has the over the shoulder counterlungs and breathes great

But, The KISS has back mounted counter lungs which provides me with an extreamly clean chest harness and I feel breaths just as easy.

Each unit has their own advantages and disadvantages

rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    I second everything said above. And will add one aspect of the KISS that helps - having long, slender, powerful fingers. Taking apart the Classic has always been a tight fit- time consuming chore. The CL's are especially so. Other than that with the new hose QC's the Classic is an all around performer.
    I am working on a way to get the counter lung on the left side out easier, it will by either by putting an access hole in the back of the case or a way to remove the manifold easily that is located on the top left side of the case that is in the way.

The quick disconnects work great !!!!!, I just installed mine.

Supporting Member rdriver will become famous soon enough rdriver will become famous soon enough rdriver will become famous soon enough rdriver will become famous soon enough rdriver's Avatar

I had a Kiss classic and loved it but for what I was doing it was overkill so I picked up A SK I like that too, either way they are both fine units but it all depends of the type of diving that you are going to do.
    Curt, You make me envious.... with the 3 rebreathers that you have you couldn't ask for a better arsenal.
    Rob

RBW Member rusty has a spectacular aura about rusty has a spectacular aura about rusty has a spectacular aura about rusty has a spectacular aura about rusty has a spectacular aura about rusty's Avatar

I have a classic KISS and a sport KISS and they are both excellent units. I bought them for ease of maintenance, durability and because they require you to pay attention to your PO2 at all times.
    Its not as if you are constantly having to add o2 but you do look at the displays more frequently knowing that you may have to add some 02 to the loop occasionally. More often than not you are just looking at the displays than doing anything.
    Both of the untis trim out very nicely and they give you an extremely clean chest area. I cant say enough about Kim and Gordon for customer service, there is a large group of us here in the Bay that are KISS users and they have always provided excellent customer service. I have looked at and tried some of the other units out there (Evo, Meg) but have yet to find anything that would make ne give up my KISS, its so simple!:D

RBW Member deepnark will become famous soon enough deepnark will become famous soon enough deepnark will become famous soon enough deepnark will become famous soon enough deepnark's Avatar

thanks for the replies they are most helpful,i have looked on the jetsam web sight and they rate the classic down to 75m and the sport to 45m does anyone have any experience with these two units at depth
    cheers
    Ray

Rather be Diving eanxdiver is on a distinguished road eanxdiver is on a distinguished road eanxdiver's Avatar
    rEvo

Classic KISS

Quote Originally Posted by rusty
    I have a classic KISS and a sport KISS and they are both excellent units. I bought them for ease of maintenance, durability and because they require you to pay attention to your PO2 at all times.
    Its not as if you are constantly having to add o2 but you do look at the displays more frequently knowing that you may have to add some 02 to the loop occasionally. More often than not you are just looking at the displays than doing anything.
    Both of the untis trim out very nicely and they give you an extremely clean chest area. I cant say enough about Kim and Gordon for customer service, there is a large group of us here in the Bay that are KISS users and they have always provided excellent customer service. I have looked at and tried some of the other units out there (Evo, Meg) but have yet to find anything that would make ne give up my KISS, its so simple!:D
    My wife and I both dive the CK, and have really enjoyed them. I wouldn't say that you are required to monitor your PO2 anymore often with the KISS units than with an ECCR. In fact, they probably both require the same consistent, vigilant monitoring frequency. It is true, (and one of the benefits I believe) that it trains you to realize that YOU are ultimately responsible for monitoring and maintaining the viability of the loop PO2, thus less chance of becoming complacent. Being our first CCR's, I believe they have helped us to establish a strong learning foundation.

Good luck in your decision

I do all my own stunts shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back's Avatar

Why we choose one rebreather over the other is pretty complex if you broke it down.
    Money ( cost out of the box) and ready to dive
    Type of diving (tech or recreational or in the middle)
    Customer service (Companies ability to keep up with production and parts)
    Maintenance (field repairs)
    Aftermarket parts /gizmos/gadgets
    Customer satisfaction ( quality of the RB and user feed-back)

I investigated each of these points and consistently came back to the Jetsam products.
    This forum has been invaluable to the prospective rb buyer/diver. I myself have found many of the parts and pieces to build my own “homebuilt” and have come to a screeching halt in the fact that I can not sell or train with my unit. The Kiss has offered a product that is readily available and backed by training agencies and the insurance that we must carry to teach .
    Its simple , practical and meets the needs and wants of the masses (how many is that ?)