+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one that thought the BTS show was a disappointment?

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Re: Am I the only one that thought the BTS show was a disappointment?

Hey John,

We had a pretty big booth in 2008, and before that in 2003.

My running joke (since neither expense generated any sales) is that "I have a booth at BTS every five years to remind me why I don't have a booth at BTS."

Also, regarding your comment about ADM and RBW - we donated a $10,500 rebreather to support both. That's cold hard cash money. I asked Curt if anyone else (i.e. manufacturers) had stepped up to do the same, and he said "nope." So there you have it. We're doing our part to keep both of these resources flowing for everyone.

I had a blast at BTS in any event. It was great hooking up with all the folks I've known for years, and meeting new ones face-to-face (your's included - nice to finally meet you!). Heck, even me and Leon had some "quality time" together (how come no one got a picture of THAT??).

Having gone to these shows for a while now, my "people-o-meter" said that it was pretty packed on Saturday.

Satuday night, I had dinner with about 12 other notable characters from the NE diving community, and drank too much booze while listening to Capt. JT's diving stories - it was awesome. I would have made the RBW party, but my wife scheduled me for a 8:30 AM flight on Sunday so I could hang out with my sons before going back to work on Monday.

Again, it was super meeting you and all the other folks I've spoken with over the phone and Internet, I hope to see even more at DEMA this year.

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by cool_hardware52  View Original Post
    Who Exhibited at BTS and who did not is not a state secret. 30 seconds with most any web browser will yield this info to those who did not attend BTS.

It's your value judgment that I take exception too.

There are ample examples of truly shameful behavior in society today, Wall Street, Washington etc. etc.

Nobody needs to be "shamed" for making a legitimate, ethical business decision to pass on a promotional opportunity.

Tobin
    Exception noted but not agreed with.

You have your perspective from where you sit as a manufacturer with your assumption of what went into their decision not to attend the show.

I have my opinion as a consumer with my assumption and expectation that a manufacturer should attend.

We can agree that this does not rate close to the examples of behaviour you provided and my use of the word "shame" was not meant to mean more than the ...."shame on your Mr. Manufacturer for not coming to see the consumers that support your sales" in context.

John

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

I guess my expectations are a little different.... I though the show was great.

There really isn't much new or truly innovative in the industry at this time, so I didn't go expecting to be wowed by new products.

Where I do derive value is from meeting and talking to people to gain first hand knowledge about issues and have questions answered by the experts in their product lines and to gain additional knowledge from vast resources of well versed people who exhibit and/or attend.

I certainly did that and came away with some really good stuff, just from chatting people up, listening to others doing the same thing, and getting my hands on a lot of the products that were there.

The social aspect of the show is amazing. I get to see folks that I haven't seen in a long time and get to meet lots of new people, including many on this board who were in attendance.

I really appreciate the fact that times are tough... And would like to thank the Manufacturers that ponied up to attend the show.

As to the point of justifying the costs of attendance, I would venture a guess that shows like these are more easily justified than a show like DEMA. Trade shows today generally have much less value than they used to... If you are a reasonable sized retailer, a manufacturer should be in touch with you personally a few times a year at as minimum and be direct marketing to you on a regular basis. Doubtful that you'll learn anything new at DEMA.... If I were a dealer customer of manufacturer X and didn't know about what was going on until I got to DEMA, then I probably wouldn't be your customer much longer.

You can't measure direct sales that you get from exposure at a show like this, but from a consumers standpoint, seeing, touching, and learning about the products first hand, shapes a lot of purchasing decisions.... One way or the other... The other fact is that a lot of the folks in attendance can be influential in persuading others about their purchase decisions and if they are impressed by a product or the way a company handles themselves, it can go a long way in generating future sales.

And as far as crowds go... I thought Saturday was pretty packed... As was Sunday morning, before I left. In talking with some of the exhibitors, most of them were very pleased with the turnout.

So.... over all I wasn't disappointed at all, and look forward to see what next years show brings.

And as a topper... I am now the proud owner of a few Sham Wow's ( I think he probably did more direct business than anyone else at the show) and a few rolls of Rescue Tape! :)

Richie

Tobin George cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post

You have your perspective from where you sit as a manufacturer with your assumption of what went into their decision not to attend the show.
    Yes I do. As side note we have actually increased the number of shows we will attend this year, but I take no pleasure in noting many others are reducing theirs. Fewer exhibitors leads to few attendees and eventually shows collapse.

I have my opinion as a consumer with my assumption and expectation that a manufacturer should attend.
    What are the "responsibilities" of a manufacturer?

1) Build good products
    2) Offer these at a fair value
    3) Provide good customer service and support to your customer base.
    4) Stay in business so you can do 1, 2, 3.
    Way down the list is "attend every local dive show"

Just what other promotional opportunities "should" we participate in?

Is it shameful to say not buy print ads in the magazines you favor?

Is it shameful to not buy banner ads at the websites you favor?

We can agree that this does not rate close to the examples of behaviour you provided and my use of the word "shame" was not meant to mean more than the ...."shame on your Mr. Manufacturer for not coming to see the consumers that support your sales" in context.
    Your assumptions are simply flawed.

Try: "Thank you Mr. Manufacturer for prudently avoiding expenses that might threaten the existence of remaining as an ongoing concern. I appreciate that you are trying to remain viable and capable of providing support in the future to your customer base. Hope to see you at the XX show in the future"

Perhaps I'm naive, but I prefer not to have an adversarial relationship with my customers. I see it more like "we are all in this together" I'm thankful for every sale, and I hope my customers enjoy the gear and receive good value.

For diving to thrive it requires a critical mass of divers / suppliers / resellers / manufacturers / innovators. Often in Tech the lines between these definitions are blurred.

Disappointment? Sure I'd be disappointed if a particular show did not meet my expectations.

Concerned? Sure I'd be concerned if suppliers I relied on were suddenly absent.

Public condemnation helps nobody.

Tobin
    Last edited by cool_hardware52; 29th March 2009 at 20:32.

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

John
    John you seem a little crabby in your posts. Do you really care they weren't there?

I have been to many SCUBA shows. Let's face it, all they are is BS sessions for vendors, manufacturers, dive industry professionals, and wannabes to rub elbows together, and drink beer afterwards (or during in the case of the RBW crew.) What new products do you actually learn about at a dive show that you haven't read about or saw online beforehand?

I commend business owners like Tobin, who's in his garage engineering something new, or Bruce who is at a conference to learn how to better his products, or someone like Kevin and Joel who skip it cause it simply isn't a profitable move for their business.

Closed Account onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime's Avatar

I wasn't able to attend BTS this year but have been to just about every other one for the last 10 years or so. There's a group of friends I'd meet up with every year and the three I've heard from this weekend have said that the turnout has been better this year than they've seen in quite some time.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

I think the real award should go to Richie Burr (Diverreb), who I finally got to meet after dozens of emails and PMs. I was talking with him at 1:00 today. His post above is time stamped less than 2 hours later while he had to be still at the show. Now THAT'S productivity.

I was also disappointed that Kevin didn't have a booth, but I knew that going in from the list of exhibitors. I was only able to attend today because I was laid up for the last few days, so I missed a lot. Including Kevin, who bailed out early this morning. Sounds like a hangover to me.

Golem was also not listed, so it was no surprise. I heard something about Jakub having out-of-town guests this weekend.

As far as the travel component, it has been getting more and more weighted that way for years. I just skip by those booths.

I tend to go more for the seminars and to meet certain people if I have a particular topic to discuss. I'm sorry I missed so much this year, but I had a great time in the few hours I had.

And BTW, you're not the only blind man, John. I spent time talking with my friends at The Scuba Connection booth for a while and also missed the Shearwater banner completely.

Ken

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

The show was *great*.

I attend to see People: Friends of old and friends new.
    The day was filled with good cheer and good conversation.

To our friend who started this thread: Who pissed in your Cheerios?

BTS has always been a mix of travel and gear. it's been that way for over 20 years, since it was originally held at the old Count Basie Theater in Red Bank NJ (anyone else remember that?)

Dave

Below Me??? drtyjrzy is on a distinguished road drtyjrzy is on a distinguished road drtyjrzy's Avatar

I to had an outstanding time, I met a bunch of members and had a blast hanging out with everyone. Thanks to Richard(diverreb) for the name tags, Curt....well for the beer, shirts, and a booth to hang out in. I was unable to attend today, well because of the party and the disgusting amout of alchohol I consumed. So thanks again everyone, sorry I didn't get a chance to say good bye in person.
    Paule

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Tienuts  View Original Post
    John you seem a little crabby in your posts. Do you really care they weren't there?

I have been to many SCUBA shows. Let's face it, all they are is BS sessions for vendors, manufacturers, dive industry professionals, and wannabes to rub elbows together, and drink beer afterwards (or during in the case of the RBW crew.) What new products do you actually learn about at a dive show that you haven't read about or saw online beforehand?

I commend business owners like Tobin, who's in his garage engineering something new, or Bruce who is at a conference to learn how to better his products, or someone like Kevin and Joel who skip it cause it simply isn't a profitable move for their business.
    Sorry if I came across as crabby I generally try to take emotion out of posts especially when I suspect the topic will not be well received by all.

To answer your question...yes in most cases I care that they were not there. In some cases because I would have liked to have seen something specific and in other cases just the fact that they sell into this market and often only talk up the postive while avoiding the negative sometime with bs. As an example lets take the Deep Life APOC. Here we have a manufacturer that has put a unit on the market, gathered customers but does not show up with a unit to display at what someone else called the biggest consumer show in the USA. This same company or representatives of the company have put down the other units to boast the reason that their unit is better. Well I saw two other UK manufacturers of units at the show but no APOC. I have not bought a APOC but I would have liked to have seen it at the show and had a chance to see it.

If nothing else then maybe my post will be received as someone (a potential customer) ,missed us at the show and that might be considered when making the future decision to attend or not.

John