+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one that thought the BTS show was a disappointment?

Tobin George cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52's Avatar

Re: Am I the only one that thought the BTS show was a disappointment?

Quote Originally Posted by bgpartri  View Original Post
    Here are a few pictures from the show. It looks like the crowd was pretty good Friday night.

Bruce
    I hope it was productive for you.

Tobin

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by bgpartri  View Original Post
    Here are a few pictures from the show. It looks like the crowd was pretty good Friday night.

Bruce
    Wow I must be blind but I completely missed your booth. Oh I guess it was a display in another companies booth. I guess the crowd was just too big that I could not see it.....you come off the list of shame. Thanks for sharing the information on what else your doing.....I think thats more interesting to know than seeing you at the show. Good Job.

John
    Last edited by jkaterenchuk; 29th March 2009 at 17:23.

ADM/RBW Staff John Rawlings has a spectacular aura about John Rawlings has a spectacular aura about John Rawlings has a spectacular aura about John Rawlings has a spectacular aura about John Rawlings has a spectacular aura about John Rawlings's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    I was most surprized by who and what was not at the show. When you hear or read what people on this board are talking about or buying it was rather surprizing that the owners of these companies decide not to show up at what I am told is the largest consumer dive show on the east coast. I guess they feel that consumers are not important to there future business success. Here is my list of shame....I appologize if I missed someone that might of been sharing a small booth tuck away in the end of a row....if so please declare yourself.

a) Shearwater - seems Liquidvision made it to the show from your neighboorhood.
    Well, even though I did NOT make it to BTS this year, I know for a fact that this statement is incorrect. Curt McNamee, RBW Member and Shearwater rep, sent me a photo of the Shearwater booth at the BTS show - clearly placarded with their banner.

I know that you probably meant well by your post, but it seems like a quick scan of the exhibitor list would have shown you who was there and who was not. Business is tough enough this year without getting whacked upside the head by "friends".
    Attached Images

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Quote Originally Posted by JS1scuba  View Original Post
    The costs of doing a trade/consumer show are staggering these days. A small weekend show like BTS for an exhibitor can top 10k for just 2 attendees. Booth, travel, materials, shipping, food, tips, etc. While that may not sound like much for a drug company, for a small dive company its huge. They would have to do no less than $50k in sales with low margin show specials just from that weekend to cover it. And, that has just not happened in the dive business in the past few years.

Cheers
    JDS
    Thanks for at least running a special to pass on the saving from not incurring the expense of the show to your faithful consumers.

By the way OMS's rebranded Meg and slapped togeather thing they called a side mount rigs is not likely to add to top line sales or cause Dive Rite or Armadillo to lose much sleep. It seems their spot might just become available in future years if this is all they have to offer in innovation.

John

HammerMeg

Quote Originally Posted by John Rawlings  View Original Post
    Well, even though I did NOT make it to BTS this year, I know for a fact that this statement is incorrect. Curt McNamee, RBW Member and Shearwater rep, sent me a photo of the Shearwater booth at the BTS show - clearly placarded with their banner.

I know that you probably meant well by your post, but it seems like a quick scan of the exhibitor list would have shown you who was there and who was not. Business is tough enough this year without getting whacked upside the head by "friends".
    John

I guess you missed my part about not being perfect in my original post...."I appologize if I missed someone that might of been sharing a small booth tucked away in the end of a row....if so please declare yourself.".

I missed the Shearwater display combined with the display of others. Already noted earlier. And if I would have made my post based upon reading the exhibitors list and made a mistake then you would be saying that those lists are printed before hand and things change why did I not walk around and see for myself.

Sorry I do not consider a business transaction with a manufacturer to be a friendship.....how shallow of me.

John
    Last edited by jkaterenchuk; 29th March 2009 at 17:44.

Tobin George cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52's Avatar

And if I would have made my post based upon reading the exhibitors list and made a mistake then you would be saying that those lists are printed before hand and things change why did I not walk around and see for myself.
    "Shared" booths can pose problems in identifying *who* is actually represented, but

While printed lists or even online lists aren't always complete, perfect, or up to date, but they are a place to start.

Exhibitor List

Diving is a small market (and getting smaller)

"Tech" is a small segment of over all diving.

Rebreathers are a subset of "Tech"

Most of the firms that service this market are small operations that often represent a significant chunk of the net worth of the principles. Sales are slow, money is tight and there's no Obama bailout on the horizon. (Don't get me started on the pleasures of being a California based small business today.)

The idea that any of these companies should be "shamed" for not attending a dive show fails to recognize the practical realities of today's market place.

If you want to laud the attendees, great. I hope they helped to make your BTS visit worthwhile.

Beating up on the guys who weren't there seems beyond useless.

Tobin

HammerMeg

[quote=cool_hardware52;249565Most of the firms that service this market are small operations that often represent a significant chunk of the net worth of the principles. Sales are slow, money is tight and there's no Obama bailout on the horizon. (Don't get me started on the pleasures of being a California based small business today.)

The idea that any of these companies should be "shamed" for not attending a dive show fails to recognize the practical realities of today's market place.

Beating up on the guys who weren't there seems beyond useless.

Tobin[/quote]

Yes I know what you mean about a small business with no bailout. I happen to run one myself. No Bailout for me. No one pays my medical premiums. I pay unemployment taxes but do not get to collect any benefits. I did not over extend myself with credit or buy a highly leveraged property but my net worth seems to have dimminished by more than 50% due to the behaviors of others. Frankly none of that has any application to my post.

The post was simply my impression of the show and its impact on me. If my opinion about the manufacturers who attended or not has that much impact upon the future viability of their business models then I would be extremely surprized.

What's clear from the number of responses from manufacturers is that I have struck a nerve. My post was not meant to satisfy any of the manufacturers and its no surprize that those that did not show up to the show if given the choice would rather not have the information publicized.

I guess until RBW becomes a manufacturer controlled content forum my opinion counts as one of many and was offerred up as such...good, bad or otherwise.

John

Diving Technologist JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba has a brilliant future JS1scuba's Avatar
    KISS Classic # 275

MK15, Draeger, TheKyle-CCR

Thanks for at least running a special to pass on the saving from not incurring the expense of the show to your faithful consumers.

By the way OMS's rebranded Meg and slapped togeather thing they called a side mount rigs is not likely to add to top line sales or cause Dive Rite or Armadillo to lose much sleep. It seems their spot might just become available in future years if this is all they have to offer in innovation.

John

OMS has wanted to bring a rebreather to market for years. But they are not a hard core manuafactuer (very few dive companies are) so contracting with Innerpace to make a branded rebreather under the OMS label is part of their model. It's no different than reVo packaging Shearwater computers with their units or Jestam having Delta P make a monitor system.

I'm not an OMS dealer, never have been, but having run a parallel company (Abyss) I can tell you that OMS probably did more for technical diving equipment over the years than most any other did. A company like thiers does not need to be overly innovative now they have a solid line of products that they do well with. They only need to make minor changes to their line. A new thing here, a change to that there. You comment about side-mount, they make it now because there is a small market for it and i'm sure their dealers may have asked for it.

At one time the game consited of Dive Rite and OMS, then Abyss was added (and then gone) and Deep Outdoors, Deep Sea Supply (cool stuff), Tech Diving Limited and a whole host of others over the years have come and gone. You may not like OMS but I suspect they will be here for a long while.

Cheers
    JDS

What's clear from the number of responses from manufacturers is that I have struck a nerve. My post was not meant to satisfy any of the manufacturers and its no surprize that those that did not show up to the show if given the choice would rather not have the information publicized.
    Who Exhibited at BTS and who did not is not a state secret. 30 seconds with most any web browser will yield this info to those who did not attend BTS.

It's your value judgment that I take exception too.

There are ample examples of truly shameful behavior in society today, Wall Street, Washington etc. etc.

Nobody needs to be "shamed" for making a legitimate, ethical business decision to pass on a promotional opportunity.

Tobin

HammerMeg

Quote Originally Posted by JS1scuba  View Original Post
    At one time the game consited of Dive Rite and OMS, then Abyss was added (and then gone) and Deep Outdoors, Deep Sea Supply (cool stuff), Tech Diving Limited and a whole host of others over the years have come and gone. You may not like OMS but I suspect they will be here for a long while.

Cheers
    JDS
    I really did not offer my opinion as to like or dislike OMS but if I had to make a bet with my own money I would say they will be the first to fall off the list you provided unless they generate a significant portion of their revenue in a different market. I will check back with either "I told you so" or "once again I was wrong" in the future when there is a change to the above list.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast