+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Subsea Systems Kidney

I Make Stuff! sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Subsea Systems Kidney

Hi everyone.

I sometimes get a lot of time on my hands at work (Like right now), and have come across a few people mentioning the Subsea Systems monitoring system. It looks interesting, but I had a question I was hoping someone could answer ...

Looking at the Animated picture on their website, It looks like the Kidney has 3 Fischer connectors on it. I couldn't find a non-animated picture to link to, sorry.

It sounds like one is dedicated to their HUD, but I was thinking of using it somewhat differently ...

Does anyone know know if:
    - You can get sensor readings from all three of the connectors?
    - They all the standard Fischer cable and pin-out??
    ----- (Standard meaning compatible with the VR3, Shearwater, X-Link, etc)
    - The Price of the "Kidney Block" is just the kidney and nothing else?
    ----- (That's how I read it, just looking for confirmation)
    I don't know if I would ever get around to actually doing what I'm thinking. I just like thinking of possible mods.

What can I say, I'm a geek

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

Re: Subsea Systems Kidney

You're talking about the "kidney" so I take it you're talking about the CK.
    They're 2 models: one with a hub and the other one with 3 connectors.
    The connectors Jason uses are not Fisher. Seems to me that they're Lumberg. Cables for the computers are Lumberg to Fisher.
    From the front:
    1) The RHS socket is for the DS1 display that also drives the HUD. So you've signal going from the kidney (3cells, so 4 wires/contacts) and back to the kidney, through it and to the LHS socket for the HUD.
    3) Center socket is for the computer. Mine came with a 2pin cable: Lumberg at one end and 2pin Fisher to mate my 2pin VR3. It's the same for the Explorer.
    Jason also makes it with a 7pin Fisher for the 7pin VR3 and the Shearwater. As far as I know the pining is the same for both computers but I actually never tested it myself. I don't know anything about the X1. Mine reads only 1 sensor as I got it some time ago. Last time I spoke to Jason he was talking to Bruce to check the possibility to read all 3 sensors. I don't know if it's done yet or not. I'm looking at it right now in order to plug my VRX/3sensors in. Last time I spoke about the pining to the VR Tech guys they told me the pining for the VRX and the VR3 is different so I guess the same cable won't accept both the Shearwater/3cells or the VRX/3cells.
    4) LHS socket is for the HUD cable. I see what you're thinking but as the DS1 drives the HUD, the signal you'll get from this socket is to make the green/red leds shine. I doubt you can get the voltage/contacts from the 3 cells from this socket.

If you'd like to get readings for 2 computers/online deco, I suggest you use the center socket with a Lumberg to a small hub / split and 2 cables/connectors to 2 computers. Another solution is to take the Kidney with the hub and modify it to add a 4th Lumberg socket and rewire the whole thing inside the hub. Now I don't know if the hub is potted same as the Kidney is. And having all these wires potted is a big advantage of the Subsea system.

Hope this helps.
    Best
    Philippe
    Last edited by Philippe GERIN; 25th March 2009 at 12:37.

RBW Member S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc's Avatar
    Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

"Last time I spoke to Jason he was talking to Bruce to check the possibility to read all 3 sensors. I don't know if it's done yet or not."

Hi Phillipe,

When I spoke to Jason last last year he indicated the new kidney he sells allows a Shearwater to read all 3 cells.

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

Good news! with the right pining it'll be ok for the VRX too!
    Best
    Philippe

Banned Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del's Avatar
    JJ, it rocks!

Sports KISS

They are Lumberg (burg?) connectors, and yes, with a 7 pin cable you can read all three cells through a Shearwater, VRx, whatever you like. (although I hear the VRx pining is/was different...)

I've had this setup on my CK for the last 18 months and it works brilliantly.

cheers

Andy

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit or a Camelion

and 11 others inc. a UT-240

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe GERIN  View Original Post
    Last time I spoke about the pining to the VR Tech guys they told me the pining for the VRX and the VR3 is different so I guess the same cable won't accept both the Shearwater/3cells or the VRX/3cells.
    Thats right, it is very different. The cable also may need altering to include circuitry before the VRx is interfaced with any other electronics. There are no problems as a stand alone unit.
    Kevin needs to make sure that adequate testing is carried out on third party cables before they are used/sold/supplied. Cables purchased from Delta-P or us will have that circuitry and testing carried out.

Brent
    Last edited by divetheworld; 25th March 2009 at 21:19.
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM
    www.puwer.co.uk PUWER and Machinery CE Marking www.ce-eu.com

I Make Stuff! sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Thanks for the replies.

I think I need to clarify a small detail ...

When I said VR3, I was meaning the VR3 and URM set-up (it's what I have), which has the same pinout as the shearwater and X1.

With that being said, The connector from the URM is a cable with a Male Fischer connector.

As I understand what I've read so far, I wouldn't be able to attach the URM to the Subsea Kidney without an adaptor cable of some sort.
    Does that sound right?

The main thing I'm thinking is having a little more redundancy in the system.

The Jetsam Kidney that is compatible with the URM is a single Fischer with all 3 cells. I really like the fact that the SS Kidney has isolation between it's outputs, but still would like to use my current monitoring system.

If the SS Kidney were all Fischers, I could have the URM/VR3 in one connector and my second display plugged into the kidney directly, rather than the URM. (The URM circuitry is also isolated between the 2 outputs, but has a single input)

Since the URM has it's own HUD, I wouldn't need another. So I figured if the connector that goes to the SS HUD were also 3-cells, I could use that as a back-up in case one of the others were damaged from corrosion (or some other damage)

Sorry for the long story :P

Oh, and does anyone else find thiskinda creepy??

RBW Member S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc's Avatar
    Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

"Thanks for the replies.

As I understand what I've read so far, I wouldn't be able to attach the URM to the Subsea Kidney without an adaptor cable of some sort.
    Does that sound right?

The main thing I'm thinking is having a little more redundancy in the system.

The Jetsam Kidney that is compatible with the URM is a single Fischer with all 3 cells. I really like the fact that the SS Kidney has isolation between it's outputs, but still would like to use my current monitoring system.

If the SS Kidney were all Fischers, I could have the URM/VR3 in one connector and my second display plugged into the kidney directly, rather than the URM. (The URM circuitry is also isolated between the 2 outputs, but has a single input)"

I have the same issue what with having the URM Pendant and the fisher connector on the Kiss kidney.

As I understand it Jason has a special cable made up with a lumberg on one end (to connect to his kidney) and a fischer on the other end to connect to the VR or Shearwater. The Pendant cable unfortunately has a fisher at the kidney end.

It would be awesome if you could get the Subsea System kidney with the option of having a fischer connector installed for the computer (shearwater / VR series or a URM Pendant) and the lumberg for Jason's HUD and DS1 display. Then all you would need is a fischer connector on both sides of the cable and you would have a ton of options.

Marc

KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by S. Marc  View Original Post
    "Thanks for the replies.

It would be awesome if you could get the Subsea System kidney with the option of having a fischer connector installed for the computer (shearwater / VR series or a URM Pendant) and the lumberg for Jason's HUD and DS1 display. Then all you would need is a fischer connector on both sides of the cable and you would have a ton of options.

Marc
    Sounds good!

Ideally, I'd like to have 3 female Fischers on the kidney itself, to avoid having to use adaptors, or intermediary devices, such as the URM.

Currently, I'm using the URM and VR3 as my primary, and a shearwater, connected with a double-ended Fischer to the pendant connector on the URM. This gives me 2 independant 3-Cell computers. The shearwater is fully independant of the VR3 display, regardless of what is happening with the 'other' computer.

Banned Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del's Avatar
    JJ, it rocks!

Sports KISS

Quote Originally Posted by sunkmail  View Original Post
    Sounds good!

Ideally, I'd like to have 3 female Fischers on the kidney itself, to avoid having to use adaptors, or intermediary devices, such as the URM.
    Far easier would be to have two kidneys, or better to convert the fischer connectors to Lumberg, as they don't seem to have any issue with corrosion (thus far).

My backup display is a pendant, complete with a kidney... I'd only need it if both the Subsea display and Shearwater go toes up...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast