+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY Sport KISS Dust filters

Underwater Journal Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns's Avatar
    KISS Explorer & Spirit LTE

KIS Sport, KISS GEM, Dolphin

DIY Sport KISS Dust filters

All sorbs have dust, some more so than others. Sofnolime from Molecular is one the more dust free sorbs on the market, even it still has some dust. And I for one donít like breathing the stuff in.
    Like many Sport KISS owners, I have experimented with all kinds of material from 4x4 gauze to pieces cut from shop-vac filters to cut the dust from entering the loop.

To get a piece of 4x4 gauze to work, you had to separate the layers down to one, then they become too pores really do the job. But it was better than nothing. With the shop vac filters, although they are designed to allow air, but not the dust to pass through, the problem, at least the ones I have tested, the WOB would go from not great to horrible once they got a little damp. Try breathing off a 4-foot snorkel. Some Sport KISS owners have resorted to using scrims for the Inspiration or Meg, with great success, but the down side is that they are a bit pricy.

I have found a far cheaper alternative. This will require a visit your nearest hardware store Ė ACE, Home Depot, Lowes, basically anybody that that carries Kimberly-Clark disposable dust masks. These should be the flat fold open type, not the pre-molded cup models, which run $2.65 for a packet of five masks. I have been using them for several months now, and have turned a few fellow Sport KISS owners on to them.

What you need to do to turn them into filters for your scrubber:
    1. Take a mask and cut the ends off so that they can be opened up like a butterfly.
    2. Using a pencil or pen (Sharpies work real well for this job) and the top end of a Cambellís Soup Can trace a circle on the outside layer of the mask.
    3. Cut each one into as near a perfect circle as you can.

Once the circle has been cut, retain the paper like inner layer in that would have made contact with your face. Each mask has two layers. The inside layer is made of surprisingly resilient material that looks like paper. Throw the rest away. If done correctly, each packet of dust masks will provide you with a total of 10 filters.

If youíre wondering how long will one of these filters last, I have gone as long as six scrubber changes before throwing the thing away. Surprisingly, even after getting them completely wet they not only still hold together, there is no change in the materialís breath ability. For a personal test, hold one the newly cut filters across your mouth and breath. Then try it again wet.
    Attached Images
    Walt Stearns
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.UnderwaterJournal.com

RBW Member Evil Dolphin is an unknown quantity at this point Evil Dolphin's Avatar

Re: DIY Sport KISS Dust filters

That is a FANTASTIC idea. I've been using an old pair of inspo scrims that finally fell apart. Then I cut circles out of a houshold AC air filter (get them wet, they turn to mush). I'm on my way to Home Depot tomarrow.

(My wife just saw this and she's all fired up to go Home Depot shopping)

Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread