+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: strange solenoid firing

  1. #1
    RBW Member ToBo is an unknown quantity at this point ToBo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    6
    Hammerhead CCR

    strange solenoid firing

    just came back from Thailand. Had first some ocean dives around the 40m.
    Everything was working fine. Then we moved to a sink hole for some deep cave diving. I had a setpoint of 1.2 ppo2 and I heard the solenoid firing but it never reached this setpoint. I got only around 1.0 at 100m and had to run the unit manually. When I had my shallower deco stops the solenoid stopped firing. After the dive I turned on my primary and listen if its firing. It does.
    I recently changed my cells but I always did a cell check at 6 m. And I got
    around 1.45 ppo2. So the cells should work.

    BTW: Does anybody knows how to get a deco display on the secondary?
    It shows me everything but deco and of course it was activated by Joe

  2. #2
    Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    "Da" Bronx
    Posts
    4,116
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

    KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

    Re: strange solenoid firing

    Quote Originally Posted by ToBo  View Original Post
    just came back from Thailand. Had first some ocean dives around the 40m.
    Everything was working fine. Then we moved to a sink hole for some deep cave diving. I had a setpoint of 1.2 ppo2 and I heard the solenoid firing but it never reached this setpoint. I got only around 1.0 at 100m and had to run the unit manually. When I had my shallower deco stops the solenoid stopped firing. After the dive I turned on my primary and listen if its firing. It does.
    I recently changed my cells but I always did a cell check at 6 m. And I got
    around 1.45 ppo2. So the cells should work.

    BTW: Does anybody knows how to get a deco display on the secondary?
    It shows me everything but deco and of course it was activated by Joe

    rember if you turn on the deco display you lose the fast po2 update...

    make sure deco function is on.. then anytime you want to activate the deco display just go to display options, chose ANY mode, then next question asks yes/no for deco display.

    check to see how long the solenoid is firing for.. with the headoff and a sp of 1.0 listen.. the solenoid should stay open for about 3 seconds..

    I had a solenoid fail in a strange way, it would fire but would not stay activated... It checked out before I left for a trip, but failed a check when I assembled the unit after flying... I needed to change the solenoid.. After swapping all the parts in the solenoid to isolate the problem, it was the magnetized part, somehow I think something in the security screening effected the magnetic field.. I had the head in my carry on..


    if the solenoid is functioning properly, an IP too low makes it difficult to attain set-point..
    Last edited by jradomski; 18th March 2009 at 09:43.
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

    All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

  3. #3
    RBW Member Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Basque Country -Sp-
    Posts
    851
    HH Inspiration / Joki

    Dolphin, Megalodon, RGU

    Re: strange solenoid firing

    Hi
    What machine are you talking about?
    Hammerhead?
    Whith is the IP for a HH solenoid?
    I'm asking all this because last week i dove to 109 mtrs and i've more or less the same situation...
    BTW, i'm diving a Inspi HH.
    Thanks
    Mikel

  4. #4
    Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    "Da" Bronx
    Posts
    4,116
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

    KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

    Re: strange solenoid firing

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikel-Deko  View Original Post
    Hi
    What machine are you talking about?
    Hammerhead?
    Whith is the IP for a HH solenoid?
    I'm asking all this because last week i dove to 109 mtrs and i've more or less the same situation...
    BTW, i'm diving a Inspi HH.
    Thanks
    Mikel
    the sp control is much better with a higher IP.. if you need to be compatible with a standard inspo lid then set the ip to 7 bar.. if you dont care, 9.5 -10bar gives much smoother po2 control..

    you should never see the po2 exactly at the sp its usually JUST below it since the value is rounded, it should never spike above the chosen SP.. the o2 injection times get reduced as depth increases, this prevents the po2 spikes normally seen on controllers like the stock inspiration lid.
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

    All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

  5. #5
    RBW Member ToBo is an unknown quantity at this point ToBo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    6
    Hammerhead CCR

    Re: strange solenoid firing

    Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post
    rember if you turn on the deco display you lose the fast po2 update...

    make sure deco function is on.. then anytime you want to activate the deco display just go to display options, chose ANY mode, then next question asks yes/no for deco display.

    check to see how long the solenoid is firing for.. with the headoff and a sp of 1.0 listen.. the solenoid should stay open for about 3 seconds..

    I had a solenoid fail in a strange way, it would fire but would not stay activated... It checked out before I left for a trip, but failed a check when I assembled the unit after flying... I needed to change the solenoid.. After swapping all the parts in the solenoid to isolate the problem, it was the magnetized part, somehow I think something in the security screening effected the magnetic field.. I had the head in my carry on..


    if the solenoid is functioning properly, an IP too low makes it difficult to attain set-point..
    Thanks for very fast answer Joe!

    Got the display option now. Two computers I had with me did not work. One I normaly use as bottom timer showed me the wrong depth but I could
    rely on my HH handsets. Don't want to see the deco time on both but just in case I want to activate the secondary deco display in the water.

    Just made the dry test. Yes, solenoid is firing for about 3 to 4 seconds.
    Security screening....well....but between the 5 ocean dives and the cave dives were no flights and during the ocean dives everything was working.

  6. #6
    RBW Member vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia Pa.
    Posts
    241
    HAMMERHEAD

    Re: strange solenoid firing

    Joe:
    Is Kevin coming out with a new hand set/? bigger display and thinner?? I've heard rumors from guys that had visited J M on the way to Florida from the north.

  7. #7
    Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    "Da" Bronx
    Posts
    4,116
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

    KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

    Re: strange solenoid firing

    Quote Originally Posted by vincnt moore  View Original Post
    Joe:
    Is Kevin coming out with a new hand set/? bigger display and thinner?? I've heard rumors from guys that had visited J M on the way to Florida from the north.
    Kevin is ALWAYS working on upgrades, that being said, there are no new electronics anytime soon.. I doubt Kevin will ever release another handset without extensive testing again. The delrin units had more than a year of work before they were released, I expect any new choices would also be in that time frame as well..

    There are no new units in the hands of any test divers, so just enjoy what you have now..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

    All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

  8. #8
    RBW Member Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Basque Country -Sp-
    Posts
    851
    HH Inspiration / Joki

    Dolphin, Megalodon, RGU

    Re: strange solenoid firing

    Thaks you very much for your answer. I will check my IP and wilol change it to 9.7.

    BTW, in this deep dive, 109 mtrs, i had some extrage deco.

    I start in -72 mtrs, -54,-35,-31,-27,-25, -13, -6.

    It was something like this.

    I had deep stops, then i had slow ascent every three mtrs, and once in-13 mtrs it jump to -6 or -3 (can't remember).

    I stay in -12, -9, and when i was in -9 the computer tells me to go to -12 for 2 minutes. I went, i clear it and them the rest of the deco was normal.-12,-9,-6-,3. and the total deco time was the one that we have already in our tables.+-105/110 minutes. we make 120 minutes. Ten extra minutes...

    Any idea why did it?

    THanks
    Mikel

  9. #9
    Lang may yer lum reek! smokey has a spectacular aura about smokey has a spectacular aura about smokey has a spectacular aura about smokey has a spectacular aura about smokey has a spectacular aura about smokey has a spectacular aura about smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    159
    Hammerd-Insp, MkII.

    Re: strange solenoid firing

    Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post
    rember if you turn on the deco display you lose the fast po2 update...
    Why does this slow the fast ppO2 update? The screen flicks through the alt displays but how does this slow the ppO2 readings?

    I understood this was dependent on the cell reaction time.

    Confused

  10. #10
    Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    "Da" Bronx
    Posts
    4,116
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

    KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

    Re: strange solenoid firing

    Quote Originally Posted by smokey  View Original Post
    Why does this slow the fast ppO2 update? The screen flicks through the alt displays but how does this slow the ppO2 readings?

    I understood this was dependent on the cell reaction time.

    Confused
    it doesnt slow the INTERNAL updating of the po2 readings but rather what the diver can see because it has to scroll (display) through all the additional info.. with deco display off the po2 is always on the screen and updated about once a second... with deco display on its like the primary and the po2 DISPLAY is updated once every several seconds..


    The nice thing about the secondary when DECO DISPLAY is OFF is that you can glance at the handset and immediately know the po2..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

    All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts