+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Azimuth CMF Dosage unit adapted for a Dolphin?

Total NOOB trey is an unknown quantity at this point trey's Avatar
    NT1

Dolphin

Azimuth CMF Dosage unit adapted for a Dolphin?

Has anyone ever tried to adapt the Azimuth's comstant mass flow dosage unit to a Dolphin? Seems like a logical way to go if you plan to stay SCR...just curious if anyone has ever tried it.

Thanks, Trey

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit or a Camelion

and 11 others inc. a UT-240

Re: Azimuth CMF Dosage unit adapted for a Dolphin?

Quote Originally Posted by trey
    Has anyone ever tried to adapt the Azimuth's comstant mass flow dosage unit to a Dolphin? Seems like a logical way to go if you plan to stay SCR...just curious if anyone has ever tried it.

Thanks, Trey
    If you could get hold of one cheaply enough that it made sense to play with it, then SCR it would not be used for!!!
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM
    www.puwer.co.uk PUWER and Machinery CE Marking www.ce-eu.com

NT1

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by divetheworld
    If you could get hold of one cheaply enough that it made sense to play with it, then SCR it would not be used for!!!
    What do you mean? Can the Azi's CMF device be used as a manual CCR valve or something?

Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar
    Deep Pursuit or a Camelion

and 11 others inc. a UT-240

What do you mean? Can the Azi's CMF device be used as a manual CCR valve or something?
    With gas switching too, the boy catches on fast.

We used to run Dolphins CCR using a swagelok metering valve. It can be made to work non-too different with a few alterations here and there.

You see, its not strictly CMF.

Check out this weblink http://www.nobubblediving.com/azimuth.gas.htm

Hes on the board here somewhere if you want to know more.
    Last edited by divetheworld; 19th December 2005 at 23:48.
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM
    www.puwer.co.uk PUWER and Machinery CE Marking www.ce-eu.com

A Prismer in Megland Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear's Avatar

The Azi switch/dose block can* be used as a starting point for converting the unit to CCR ....

But you need to check the seat of the needle valve carefully by monitoring flow at a range of IPs for a reasonable time period. The capacity of the standard Azi dose unit to deliver very low flows (eg 1 lpm) is variable and dependent on the seat material. I have a suspicion that units built in different years used different materials and tolerances.

My old unit (now MHDs CCR Azi) was able to deliver 0 lpm but it was rather unstable at around 1 lpm.

Speaking generally I would say that the Azi dose unit adjustment is just too coarse for use as a CMF CCR dose unit.

On the loop! E-man will become famous soon enough E-man will become famous soon enough E-man will become famous soon enough E-man's Avatar

I agree with underwaterbear...it COULD be used for o2 addtion on a ccr, but ive seen too much variation on it to trust my life to it.

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Trey, OMG hardware tends to be pretty expensive. They build good stuff and are a military contractor. Having followed your various threads and ideas/questions, I wonder if you shouldn't just save some more and get a CCR that will suit your needs, get trained on it and dive it safely.

If you want to convert your Dolphin I recommend to research the subject well, stick with conversions that have been succesful in the past and take up people like Ron Micjan who offer help and have the experience in both converting the unit and diving it safely.

NT1

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by caveseeker7
    Trey, OMG hardware tends to be pretty expensive. They build good stuff and are a military contractor. Having followed your various threads and ideas/questions, I wonder if you shouldn't just save some more and get a CCR that will suit your needs, get trained on it and dive it safely.

If you want to convert your Dolphin I recommend to research the subject well, stick with conversions that have been succesful in the past and take up people like Ron Micjan who offer help and have the experience in both converting the unit and diving it safely.

Actually Stefan, Ron was the first person I talked to when I was looking to go RB...he is GREAT, but the local IANTD guy talked me out of it (because there is no real cert for it). See, some of the diving I am wanting to do, I may not be able to get on a dive boat unless I have a real cert for my unit. So, I had planned to get a SK. Unfortunately, none of the pricing that was quoted to me for a new unit has actually come to fruition and everyone wants over $3k still for their used ones...I sold my Miata to buy one for God's sakes!!! I just can't justify buying used for over 70% of new retail...

So after much hunting and missing deals, I finally decided to dust off the SCR Dolphin and TMIshop backplate (since I already had it) and get certified on something already! The whole idea about the standard reg on my Dolphin was to get around buying/using a stock small Draeger tank (my unit has very short hoses) and to make my unit more travel friendly...and an instructor around these parts said he had seen it done before and I should be able to use any reg I wanted. However, after further inspection, we both found out that the reg on the Dolphin IS NOT replacable (at least not very easily) with a standard reg for SCR use. Mostly b/c the IP is around 240PSI.

So, the hunt was on again...and I read some more about the Azi CMF unit and thought, "Jeez...this is so simple...why couldn't I do that with the Dolphin?" It was just another random and radical idea and I was curious if anyone had ever done it...seems like it would make the Dolphin so much more simple.
    Sonic orifice...Mach 1 gas...whatever...

At last, I remembered yesterday that I had seen some postings for an Azi for sale on the board here...and also that the Azi was the unit origionally recommended by the local IANTD instructor that I'm taking from. Here's hoping that all this crap is history...because I think I've made a deal for one of them! As long as the pics look good, I'm gonna be the newest Azi diver!

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out by answering questions, giving commentary, saving me from making an aweful RB blunder (ie, hurting myself), and just the general knowledge base that is provided for RB divers here! This site rocks and you guys make it rock! Hopefully I'll see some of you underwater soon, and while not completely bubble free, at least several fewer than what I used to make...

-Trey

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

I just can't justify buying used for over 70% of new retail...
    Quick friendly word of advice to you...

Don't apply whatever "rule-of-thumb" you are using when trying to buy used RB units!

They are not used cars or used motorcycles!

Some POS units will depreciate so fast that you will end up giving someone money to take them away from you. Some won't drop a few hundred dollars from their original 4-figure amount.

You don't have to trust me, but I could honestly say that I have probably bought and sold more personal units than most people here.

There is no free lunch in the RB market. You want to pay peanuts, you will get peanuts. And the worse thing is they are also live-support equipments...

NT1

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    Quick friendly word of advice to you...

Don't apply whatever "rule-of-thumb" you are using when trying to buy used RB units!

They are not used cars or used motorcycles!

Some POS units will depreciate so fast that you will end up giving someone money to take them away from you. Some won't drop a few hundred dollars from their original 4-figure amount.

You don't have to trust me, but I could honestly say that I have probably bought and sold more personal units than most people here.

There is no free lunch in the RB market. You want to pay peanuts, you will get peanuts. And the worse thing is they are also live-support equipments...
    Only rule-of-thumb I'm using is that I'm not gonna pay $3xxx for something I can buy brand new at $3600...for $600 it's worth the piece of mind to me that I'm gonna get all the parts, warranty, etc and I'll be able to ugly up the unit myself...I paid my dues in retail for too long to ever pay retail for anything ever again...

RBs are expensive, that much is true, and I don't have alot of dough to play with...so you'll have to forgive me for being 'cheap'. Good news is though, if you're willing to wait long enough (which did almost drive me bananas), someone will sell good equipment at a realistic price...speaking of which, I may have a Dolphin for sale very soon...all offers are welcome!

-T

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast