+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New detectors

New Member joshhan2000 is on a distinguished road joshhan2000 is on a distinguished road joshhan2000's Avatar

New detectors

Ok I have it the three things that need to be improved on in a reabreather. First thing is a good CO2 detection system. I know that there has been a lot of buzz on it but they all just do not work and the ones that do will not work right. So after looking at the problem carefully I have come up with a new method of doing it. Instead of using an IR beam I am use a special chemical mix that can be measured by a probe. Can not go into details about it but I can just say I have the theory down and have show it to some people (PHD’s) and they have all said it could work.. The second thing that is needed for a rebreather system is a way to tell how much scrubber you have used and how much time you have left on it. There is a temp stick but that is not accurate way of telling. I have a way to do this too Use chemical properties of the scrubber I can tell you imperial cal how much you have used and how much you still have left to use. You could even put in bad chemical and it would tell you. The third and for most important is new scrubber chemical. I have a few ideas on this as well but still in the theory phase but I will be working on it. The chemical has to adsorb Co2 and be reusable at the same time. I can make all of these things with the right funding.

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Re: New detectors

Could you share your qualifications ?

There will be skeptics out there who will say "Talk is cheap!", And yes, I could make anything with the right funding as well.

Flaccid Member abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie's Avatar
    Dammit I bought another KISS

CK, SK, Satori, ManBagOD

Quote Originally Posted by joshhan2000
    I can make all of these things with the right funding.
    I love a man with ideas.

Get it right and win the NOAA prize :D

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

That's what he's shootin' for. ;)

Banned - Threat of Litigation AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9's Avatar

Ok I have it the three things that need to be improved on in a reabreather. First thing is a good CO2 detection system. I know that there has been a lot of buzz on it but they all just do not work and the ones that do will not work right. So after looking at the problem carefully I have come up with a new method of doing it. Instead of using an IR beam I am use a special chemical mix that can be measured by a probe. Can not go into details about it but I can just say I have the theory down and have show it to some people (PHD’s) and they have all said it could work.. The second thing that is needed for a rebreather system is a way to tell how much scrubber you have used and how much time you have left on it. There is a temp stick but that is not accurate way of telling. I have a way to do this too Use chemical properties of the scrubber I can tell you imperial cal how much you have used and how much you still have left to use. You could even put in bad chemical and it would tell you. The third and for most important is new scrubber chemical. I have a few ideas on this as well but still in the theory phase but I will be working on it. The chemical has to adsorb Co2 and be reusable at the same time. I can make all of these things with the right funding.
    Worth checking out the roads some others have gone down and abandoned, so you can refine your solutions.

1. If it is a wet solution, like measuring the acidity of a bicarb solution using a Ph probe, that is going to be mighty difficult to maintain in a rebreather even with hydrophobic gas permeable membranes.

Also, ensure it passes the "Chicken test" (the test that made Rolls Royce bankrupt, involving firing a frozen chicken from a gun into at a turbine running at full speed - it destroyed the RB211 engine because it had carbon blades: someone did not read the spec well enough). So here is the CO2 spec, or at least the nasty bit:

CO2 sensors have been available for years. The problem is EN14143 require a 3% accuracy, across the entire depth range and gas mixes. That has only been achieved fairly recently. It must tolerate condensation, but that is an easy one to solve (mount it on the scrubber stick, which gets hot, and use hydrophobic membranes). There is a full publication of this solution in (slow) progress on the O.R. area of this web site.

2. Sol-gels are the real solution to number 1. Problem is cost of the UV source, but gels working with lower frequency excitation are starting to emerge.

3. There are some solutions about to the scrubber issue. See 1 and 2 above. The debate on temp sticks is that APD claim temperature alone is enough, Iain Middlebrook and I (independent from each other) claim you need temperature, flow and gas mix information. When you have all of that, to check scrubber life and scrubber health can be done with the circuitry we posted onto the Open Revolution area plus appropriate firmware.

4. Before you speak with anyone, file a provisional patent.

5. Work checking with engineers with PhDs rather than scientists with PhDs. The former make products, the latter make papers.

Just my 2c, to save frustration later.
    Cheers,
    Alex

New Member joshhan2000 is on a distinguished road joshhan2000 is on a distinguished road joshhan2000's Avatar

None of you have even come close to the way I am doing it. I have a BS in chemistry from evergreen college.

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

I have a BS in chemistry from evergreen college.
    Yes! Fresh from college and ready to conquer the world.

I barely remember how that feels like... :)

I do wish the best and hope you found something useful!

Maybe looking at it in a new way is all that is needed to solve the problems. All I can say is that I am working with a rebreather manufacture right now and hoping that they will allow me to develop this technology for them. If no one in the business will fund my research I will go to grad school and do it, but one way or other I will get the tech out there and will improve diving for all

...All I can say is that I am working with a rebreather manufacture right now...
    I thought you are still trying to get a job with ISC. Have they hire you yet ?

Flaccid Member abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie's Avatar
    Dammit I bought another KISS

CK, SK, Satori, ManBagOD

None of you have even come close to the way I am doing it. I have a BS in chemistry from evergreen college.
    My advice?

If you really think this thing will work, keep quiet about it, do the development work yourself and slap a patent on it quickly.

Otherwise sooner or later you'll end up on the wrong end of a temporary employment contract with nothing to show for your hard work and ideas but bragging rights on internet rebreather forums, while your former employer makes it a commercial success.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast