View Poll Results: Do you suffer from tinnitus?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I'm under 30

4 5.63%
  • Yes and I'm 30-50

23 32.39%
  • Yes and I'm over 50

14 19.72%
  • No and I'm under 30

4 5.63%
  • No and I'm 30-50

21 29.58%
  • No and I'm over 50

5 7.04%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rebreather diving and tinnitus

RBW Member Rob Dobson is on a distinguished road Rob Dobson is on a distinguished road Rob Dobson's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

MEG (COPIS II)

Re: Rebreather diving and tinnitus

I've had it constantly for 6 months and the docs reckon it'll never get any better. I'm 33 years old. CCR related? Who knows. I'm very interested in the poll results though - we appear to be over representated.

Choose Freedom - UKIP Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby's Avatar

I wonder if it might be related to long runs on noisy dive boats with enormous diesel engines thundering away.

Ear plugs might help but not the sort of things you want to use with wet ears.

I wish some dive boat operators would give a bit more thought to passenger comfort. Space to sit outside, covers to keep spray and rain off (sun if you are lucky), more soundproofing of the engine, better exhaust to prevent noise and deck fumigation.

I digress.

An independent diver. bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso's Avatar
    MCCR Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dobson  View Original Post
    I've had it constantly for 6 months and the docs reckon it'll never get any better. I'm 33 years old. CCR related? Who knows. I'm very interested in the poll results though - we appear to be over representated.
    Actually, I have had it since before my MCCR days. It comes and goes, but diving and loud noises definitely set the crickets chirping.

No, you never really get used to it.

Dale

Vancomyocin and Zyvox started my tinnitus when they battled it out with an army of MRSA bacteria residing in my spinal column after back surgery. I prefer the ever present hum, over death ...

High O2 exposure does give me a marked increase in volume. Higher than that of the normal increase that comes from diving.

Dave Mitchell akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst has a spectacular aura about akscubainst's Avatar
    KISS Classic Explorer

Kiss Classic

Mine has nothing to do with rebreather diving and everything to do with"

Growing up in the "Walkman" age;
    Running powertools with no ear protection;
    Shooting firearms without hearing protection
    being way too close to a couple compressed gas related explosions;
    and probably 21 years of cold water diving as well.

Basically, pretty much all my fault.

RBW Member sailor is on a distinguished road sailor is on a distinguished road sailor's Avatar
    TR300c hCCR, Ray mCCR

Dolphin, Inspiration Vision

For me it might have something to do with diving at all but for sure not diving rebreather.
    I'm diving since 25 years OC and it started 20 years ago but did not get worse when i started diving rebreathers 3 years ago.
    I'm also working in a loud environment so it might not be diving-related at all for me.
    Maybe operating scuba compressors without proper ear-protection is another issue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2