View Poll Results: Do you suffer from tinnitus?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and I'm under 30

4 5.63%
  • Yes and I'm 30-50

23 32.39%
  • Yes and I'm over 50

14 19.72%
  • No and I'm under 30

4 5.63%
  • No and I'm 30-50

21 29.58%
  • No and I'm over 50

5 7.04%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rebreather diving and tinnitus

RBW Member jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c's Avatar
    rEvo

Megalodon

Rebreather diving and tinnitus

Just curious really as to whether rebreather divers are more prone to tinnitus. Both my buddy and I get this intermittently (very mild for me, worse for my buddy)

for a world of water OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity's Avatar
    homebuild/custom

Re: Rebreather diving and tinnitus

not sure that there is a correlation with RB divers specifcally, but those particularly sensitive to elevated oxygen exposures are likely to have issues.

My problems with tinnnitus are from too much time in cold water, and the associated damage to my ears.

RBW Member Jeff_B is an unknown quantity at this point Jeff_B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jo_c  View Original Post
    Just curious really as to whether rebreather divers are more prone to tinnitus. Both my buddy and I get this intermittently (very mild for me, worse for my buddy)
    Mmmm I'm a rebreather diver and I have tinnitus, but their are a number of reasons why you get tinnitus, in my case its due to working in a noisy environment for most of my life and then falling 30 odd ft and smashing my head in! (doctors suggest I give up diving for a year to recover) and not 4 years of rebreather diving.

While diving does not do our bodies any favors I'm not sure we can pin rebreather diving as a major cause of tinnitus, although I will admit the cold sh*ty water from the english channel is probably not doing any good to my ears.

Jeff Blyther
    getting better slowly

Nailer99 Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith's Avatar
    Megalodon

I voted "yes, and I'm between 30-50" but I should point out that I had tinnitus before I started diving, let alone on a Rebreather.

RBW Member jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c is a jewel in the rough jo_c's Avatar
    rEvo

Megalodon

Its such a prevalent condition that I doubt rebreathers make any significant difference, but I'm just curious. :)

Unbanned cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn's Avatar

I think its because RB divers are more at risk from BLASTS.

Budget Linked Angry Spouse Tirade Syndrome.

Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar

I think it's more from loud rock concerts in my early life than from diving

RBW Member pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by babar  View Original Post
    I think it's more from loud rock concerts in my early life than from diving

Yep. Rock and roll, firearms, and loud motorcycles. I'll have more of all three, please.

Paul

RBW Member SPAVZ74 is an unknown quantity at this point SPAVZ74's Avatar

My father wich is an old diver ( born in 1941 dive since he is 14 years old) have tinnitus certainly due to an accumulation of blasts when inflate diving tanks in very cold condition for icediving. (subzero temperature and int. valves with freeze O-rings)
    he also suffering of hyperacousis. it has already consulted all types of medical unresolved. So take care to your ears protect it ! because now he lives a living hell with a siren day and night in the head.

Dive Safe
    Julien

RBW Member rian jordaan will become famous soon enough rian jordaan will become famous soon enough rian jordaan will become famous soon enough rian jordaan's Avatar

Got my condition after 3 shots of antibiotics to get rid of a flue. I still believe the antibiotics is the cause of the tinitis. The whistle is more noticeble under water but that I think is because its so silent there with relative low back ground noise to interfere. My wife is hard of hearing since early child hood. Her hearing is much better when she is in a pool. Only reason I can think of is the fact that the density of the air above water level is higher and the sound waves travel better / clearer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast