+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hydration Revisited – Myths Versus Facts

www.AddHelium.com Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium's Avatar

Hydration Revisited – Myths Versus Facts

The matter of hydration and diving is certainly unresolved. Current practice stresses prehydration and completely ignores the importance of posthydration. Some scientific papers encourage mild to moderate dehydration prior to diving while others warn against it. Some dive experts counsel against drinking coffee or other caffeinated drinks, but there is scientific evidence to the contrary.

This article provides a review of scientific papers regarding the issue of hydration and diving supplying a platform for making educated decisions.

On almost every dive boat I go on, I see people chug water before their dive. However, afterward, they drastically reduce their water consumption. Considering the latest scientific studies, we need to ask ourselves if that is actually good practice. We also need to revisit what happens to our bodies when we are in the water and how immersion and the wearing of protective garments contribute to dehydration. Read more...
    www.AddHelium.com

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Re: Hydration Revisited – Myths Versus Facts

Feel free to post any questions here. I will be checking in regularly.

Claudia

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

I remember that when we did long deep dives, we got the advise to start drinking during the dive, when we started to ascend.
    It was assumed that the dehydration really started when depressurising.

I don't remember where the advise came from, but it seems to correspond with what is written in the article.

thanks
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by paulraymaekers  View Original Post
    I remember that when we did long deep dives, we got the advise to start drinking during the dive, when we started to ascend.
    It was assumed that the dehydration really started when depressurising.

I don't remember where the advise came from, but it seems to correspond with what is written in the article.

thanks
    I think I should specify a bit more what explained:

the idea was that during descent, water was 'evacuated' out of your body anyway: so little reason to drink a lot before the dive.
    And when starting to ascent, by drinking you could start compensating for the dehydration
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Dear Claudia,

During (DEMA) I had a fascinating conversation with you regarding this topic. At that time you told me I would just have to wait until you write the entire article. Thank you! As this explains a lot more in detail to me. Like you say, emphasis should be on drinking water over the course of the remaining day.

Hypothetical question? If you woke up at 6:00 am and took a 2 1/2 hour boat ride, say approximately 3 hours before you do your first dive of the day, how much fresh water in ounces should be consumed before the first dive of the day?

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Thank you Paul for commenting. Yes, for us decompression divers, it would make sense to start our rehydration during deco. On our cave dives, some of us have water bottles hanging on their 20 or 10 foot stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Chett.L  View Original Post
    Dear Claudia,

During (DEMA) I had a fascinating conversation with you regarding this topic. At that time you told me I would just have to wait until you write the entire article. Thank you! As this explains a lot more in detail to me. Like you say, emphasis should be on drinking water over the course of the remaining day.

Hypothetical question? If you woke up at 6:00 am and took a 2 1/2 hour boat ride, say approximately 3 hours before you do your first dive of the day, how much fresh water in ounces should be consumed before the first dive of the day?

Best regards,
    Hello Chett,

I am sorry but am unable to be that specific. The point I was trying to make is that vigorous attempts at hydration just prior to diving is not advised but should be considered AFTER the dive (or during the last part of deco). Regaring your question, if one hydrates througout the day, one ought not be dehydrated in the first place. So, drink at your desire on the way out. Thank you for commenting.

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

And, as I am sure Claudia will agree, hydration status has more to do with what you've been doing for days before the dive than it does with how much fluid you consume on the boat on the way to the dive site. Your urine should be "clear and copious" :)

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by debersole  View Original Post
    And, as I am sure Claudia will agree, hydration status has more to do with what you've been doing for days before the dive than it does with how much fluid you consume on the boat on the way to the dive site. Your urine should be "clear and copious" :)
    Hi Doug,

With all due respect, and I greatly appreciate your knowledge and admire all the in-depth expertise as it is far beyond mine!!! how do you evaluate (urine color) if you take vitamins on a daily basis, or should vitamins be withdrawn the day before diving as they contain antioxidants?

Best regards,
    Last edited by Chett.L; 2nd December 2014 at 19:22.
    Chett. L

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Hydration Revisited – Myths Versus Facts

Claudia -
    It says that alcohol should not be used for hydration and other liquids should. But it does not say alcohol is bad. So if I mix up a batch of scotch & water that is 80% water and only 20% scotch, how many full 8 ounce glasses of scotch & water will it take to hydrate me properly?

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.