+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stuffed nose/sinuses after rebreatherdiving

RBW Member Rubis is an unknown quantity at this point Rubis's Avatar

Stuffed nose/sinuses after rebreatherdiving

Good evening,

just wondering if this happens to other people.

I have noticed my nose and sinuses get really stuffed after I dive the rebreather.
    It takes 2-3 dives after diving to get to normal.

I don't know if this has happened since the beginning, I know that this does not happen on open circuit (or not as much).
    After I noticed this, I made sure to disinfect lungs and loop after each dive, but it does not seem to make a difference.
    I have not dived the rebreather in salt water, only in fresh water so far. I winder if it has anything to do with the cave water ???

Any plausible explanation would be appreciated ...

Thank you

Cris

RebreatherWorld Sponsor Web@Titan is on a distinguished road Web@Titan is on a distinguished road Web@Titan's Avatar

Re: Stuffed nose/sinuses after rebreatherdiving

What are you using for a disinfectant?

You might be allergic to it.

Morgan's Mum bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sport Kiss

are you equalising your mask sufficiently? having a constant mild mask squeeze maybe aggravating the sinuses to produce copious quantities of snot???

rachel

RBW Member Rubis is an unknown quantity at this point Rubis's Avatar

Hi,

I am using Vikron as desinfectant.

I don't think the mask squeeze is the issue. I get a stuffed nose but without snot. The good news is I have no problems equalizing the ears, it's just difficult to talk or sleep at night.

Urs or Nounours teddy2005 will become famous soon enough teddy2005 will become famous soon enough teddy2005 will become famous soon enough teddy2005's Avatar
    rEvo III mccr

MKVI

Cris,

I had the same issue (also fresh water mostly) at the end of dive when doing deco (means between 6m-3m on nearly 100% O2), nose so stuffed (but nothing on sinuses) that I was nearly not able to blow through it. After rinsing the nose (in frech water it was gone). This went on for nearly my first 20-30 dives and now it does not show up anymore. Never found an answer to that...

CEO-Shearwater
    bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri's Avatar
    rEvo, JJ

Meg,CCR2000,KISS,Inspo,Dolphin

I also get congested on longer dives. I also used to get congested on OC dives with long 6 m O@ stops.

I understand that it is an effect of breathing oxygen, but don't have a reference at the moment. I don't know if it's related to FO2 or PPO2.

Bruce
    The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge.
    http://www.shearwater.com

RebreatherWorld Sponsor Web@Titan is on a distinguished road Web@Titan is on a distinguished road Web@Titan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bgpartri  View Original Post
    I also get congested on longer dives. I also used to get congested on OC dives with long 6 m O@ stops.

I understand that it is an effect of breathing oxygen, but don't have a reference at the moment. I don't know if it's related to FO2 or PPO2.

Bruce

Funny, it appears that any MSDS on oxygen reports "stuffiness" as a symptom.

ACUTE-INHALATION-BREATHING 80% OR MORE OXYGEN AT ATMOSLPHERIC PRESSURE FOR MORE THAN A FEW HOURS MAY CAUSE NASAL STUFFINESS.
    I would bet it is related to F02 and the relative surface area contact of oxygen with the nasal cavity.

*EDIT*
    I found a study.

They basically found that breathing high FO2 of oxygen for extended periods results in a reduction in TMV (tracheal mucous velocity) which equates to nasal stuffiness.

Effect of oxygen in graded concentrations upon tracheal mucous velocity. A study in anesthetized dogs. ? CHEST
    Last edited by Web@Titan; 24th February 2009 at 17:00.

RBW Member DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek has a spectacular aura about DeepGeek's Avatar
    AP Evolution

I found when I started out on rebreathers, my sinuses and ears got aggravated slightly since I wasn't equalising as early as I should - too much task loading in the new gear.

I still get this from time to time, when I'm in a new buoyancy situation, lots of surge, high task loading, that sort of thing. Particularly if I've been away for a couple of months.

EXPLORER jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz has a spectacular aura about jdz's Avatar
    rEvo, PRISM, KISS

Modccr Dolphin, SM CCR, Satori

I was talking about this very effect this weekend past...

The first dive of the day (cave & shallow ~to 15m), was on Rebreather and ended up with full ears and stuffy nose... 2nd dive on OC, similar profile, and felt extremely better and more comfortable..

Obviously, the closed loop provided for the bulk of the gas to shift between the lungs/ c'lung/ scrubber/ sinus-ears easily during the ups & downs of the cave profile... whereas on OC, the gas pressure was equalised at ambient in all the spaces...

cheers, JDZ
    Last edited by jdz; 25th February 2009 at 03:43. Reason: spell..

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Hi Cris,

None what your saying surprises me, we are not fish with gills and yes pressure affects the body, you donít have to have a degree from Harvard medical school to know this. Everybody has different sensitivities, thanks for coming forward and expressing yours. I donít think that youíre having a problem with disinfecting. On a different note I feel that my ears have been overworked from diving and I pay the price for it.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast