+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sidemount, Nomad and CCR

Train Wrecked Guppy ;) brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr's Avatar

Sidemount, Nomad and CCR

All,
    I've recently ventured into OC sidemount as a way to further my experience in all things diving.

Because I primarily dive a KISS classic, I've been side mounting my bailout for some time. I've been diving an Oxycheq 45lb lift wing with a stainless backplate and single piece harness. I used bungee cord from the chest d-ring to the backplate for the side mount bailout cylinders, and used a double d-ring on the back of the crotch strap for the tail of the sidemount cylinders.

I recently purchased a Nomad for OC sidemount diving. I've rigged it with 95's, and have been getting it dialed in while making trips to Jackson Blue to cave dive.

After looking at the Nomad and doing some research, I've found that some people have used this rig for their CCR too.

I'd like to get some feedback/information/understanding from those who use a Nomad with their CCR.

Today, I spent the day creating a completely new hybrid, which is a single piece harness, the Nomad wing, the transpac shoulder pads and my stainless backplate (on the outward side of the wing). This should give me the weight I need to get down (the stainless backplate), keep the wing in the same exact position as it was on the stock Nomad, but removes the entire beaver tail and replaces it with a crotch strap d-ring and double -dring for the side mount tails. All of that and have a solid mount point for my CCR.

I really like the solution because without changing a single thing, I can dive my CCR with sidemount bailout, dive backmount doubles, dive independant sidemount doubles of any size, and I can also monkey dive when I'm scootering - All with the same wing/harness/backplate.

That all strikes me as too good to be true :D

So - I'm wondering what I'm not thinking of?

Last edited by brockbr; 22nd February 2009 at 21:44.
    iDeco Pro - iPhone Decompression Planning
    iDeco Pro

RBW Member pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476's Avatar
    Meg

Re: Sidemount, Nomad and CCR

I dive a Nomad expedition setup with my Meg. I've changed it a bit, but differently than you have. I use the transpac harness, but I've slipped a backplate (DSS Large stainless) between the wing and transpac harness and my back. There is no webbing on the backplate. It's there to give a good mounting point for the meg, running the bolts through the transpac, the wing, and the backplate, very similar to a set of doubles. The plate transfers the weight and motion to my back and is much more stable than some of the other Nomad/transpac set ups that I've seen. There's no wobble at all. Since the transpac is still on the outside I have retained the buttplate and rails which I like.

I'm very happy with the setup, more so than when I had it set up on a backplate with generic wing.

Paul

Train Wrecked Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive's Avatar
    rEvo hccr

KISS CLASSIC

The attachment points/D-rings on the crotch strap for the sidemounts.. How do you like that.. I was looking at something like that considering I will be diving a KISS with a Stand.. I won't have room for a buttplate...

So I was considering something like this...

Thanks..

Chris

Train Wrecked Guppy ;) brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Tekdive  View Original Post
    The attachment points/D-rings on the crotch strap for the sidemounts.. How do you like that.. I was looking at something like that considering I will be diving a KISS with a Stand.. I won't have room for a buttplate...

So I was considering something like this...

Thanks..

Chris
    I really like that double-d-ring setup. I've probably got 100 dives sidemounting my bailout from those rings and they work great. Plus, like I mentioned, they don't get in the way of sitting down.

b.
    iDeco Pro

RBW Member atedeschi is an unknown quantity at this point atedeschi's Avatar
    Kiss Classic & Sidekick CCR

revo Hybrid, Golem Flex

I have a Nomad and just got a Kiss Classic, but I can tell you one thing you do not want the hard backplate on your sidemount rig. Its fine with the CCR or doubles but not SM. I have dove the nomad with double 108s and just used the stablizer plates and hooked it up to my Kiss Classic the other day and it seemed to work fine but havnt dove the CCR yet. just my 2 cents.

Dalış Bahane Alem Şahane teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali's Avatar

Do you have the shoulder straps going over the wing? doesnt this confine the wing?

Teoman

Train Wrecked Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive's Avatar
    rEvo hccr

KISS CLASSIC

what double Drings are these.. are the the Highseas millworks?

Thanks for the info Brock,

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

Quote Originally Posted by pwl4476  View Original Post
    I use the transpac harness, but I've slipped a backplate (DSS Large stainless) between the wing and transpac harness and my back. There's no wobble at all. Paul
    I'm using the same as Paul with the same good results on my CK, SK and Meg except I use a boneplate as I don't need the extra weight of a SS backplate. Just to be clear the backplate is directly against my back.
    Best
    Philippe

Quote Originally Posted by teomannaskali  View Original Post
    Do you have the shoulder straps going over the wing? doesnt this confine the wing?

Teoman
    Teoman,
    The Nomad wing is designed to work this way. A stock Nomad is identical for harness routing, but uses a soft stabilizer plate in place of the stainless backplate like I've done.

b.
    iDeco Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Tekdive  View Original Post
    what double Drings are these.. are the the Highseas millworks?

Thanks for the info Brock,
    I'm not sure of the exact company that makes them, but I bought them from Gregg Stanton at Wakulla Diving: Wakulla Diving Center Florida CCR Training/Repair/Support

Greg stocks almost everything you'd need for a breather rig.
    iDeco Pro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast