+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Florida April Trip Help

RBW Member Cobby is an unknown quantity at this point Cobby's Avatar
    Evolution, Pathfinder

Inspiration

Florida April Trip Help

Hi,

I will be in Fort Lauderdale end of April for a congres and plan to take my Evolution in a Travel Frame (without the tanks).
    I will arrive before April 24, and have 3 days to dive. Is there some rebreather friendly diving center in Fort Lauderdale or not too far? How are the dives?

After the congres I will stay one week. I first planned to dive the Oriskany going but it seems to take 8-10 hours to go to Pensacola by car . Do you know a club overthere where I can find rebreather support?
    Due to the long drive, do you think that it worth it or is there some good spot closer to Fort Lauderdale (Keys?).
    I am a French CCR instructor and full Trimix. I like wrecks.

Thanking you in advance for your help,

Chris

RBW Member Georges Gawinowski has a spectacular aura about Georges Gawinowski has a spectacular aura about Georges Gawinowski has a spectacular aura about Georges Gawinowski has a spectacular aura about Georges Gawinowski has a spectacular aura about Georges Gawinowski's Avatar
    Megalodon

Azimuth,Optima,Evo,Insp.

Re: Florida April Trip Help

Hi Chris,
    You can contact me when you are around, I can organise some dives with you.

WDTDIVE FLORIDA SCUBA DIVING

Sincerley

je suis francais aussi de Marseille et vis a Miami, et oui la belle bleue.

RBW Member diverchris is an unknown quantity at this point diverchris's Avatar
    Inspiration with Vision

Hello,

For Fort lauderdale your base shop for everything should be Fill Express(fillexpress.com). They have the best fill station I have ever witnessed. They have banked Trimix, Nitrox and will do custom blends. Furthermore they will have sorb, and bail-out bottles for rent. Now that gear is set-up they also have a list of all of the charter operators that support rebreathers.

In regards to the second week go to the Keys and forget about the 10 hour dive to Pensacola. Here is my reason, which will no doubt cause backlash, the Big O is 22 miles(40 km) off shore in the middle of the Gulf with unpredictable weather. You may go there for a week and never see the wreck due to weather conditions. I've been close to the Big O in 4-6 ft seas and the captain decided it was unsafe to dive and turned around. I truly believe this was due to the captain's fears of CCR divers and nothing to do with the weather!!

So go to the Keys. Dive with Conch Republic Divers(CONCH REPUBLIC DIVERS VOTED #1 DIVE SHOP IN FLORIDA KEYS..2006 & 2007) Their website is a little dated, Gary when are you going to fix that, its the best shop in the Keys!!! The shop is six feet(2 meters) away from the dive boat. They have Evolution bottles, sorb, bail-out bottles, and He if needed. This is the best shop in the Keys- period. Gary and Brenda(owners) will arrange dives on all the wrecks (Speigal, Duane, Bibb and Eagle) and they will allow 2 hour run times if you give them adequate time for scheduling.

The other shop is Silent World but the shop is three miles from the boat. Simply put Conch Republic Divers is much, much better. I visit Conch Republic Divers twice a year and I drive from Canada- think about that for a moment its 2600 miles(1750 Kms) each way. Customer service is outstanding at Conch Republic divers

If you need addition information feel free to PM me.

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cobby  View Original Post
    Hi,

I will be in Fort Lauderdale end of April for a congres and plan to take my Evolution in a Travel Frame (without the tanks).
    I will arrive before April 24, and have 3 days to dive. Is there some rebreather friendly diving center in Fort Lauderdale or not too far? How are the dives?

After the congres I will stay one week. I first planned to dive the Oriskany going but it seems to take 8-10 hours to go to Pensacola by car . Do you know a club overthere where I can find rebreather support?
    Due to the long drive, do you think that it worth it or is there some good spot closer to Fort Lauderdale (Keys?).
    I am a French CCR instructor and full Trimix. I like wrecks.

Thanking you in advance for your help,

Chris

Fill Express if your in and around Ft. Lauderdale...
    Georges and the folks down at Aqua Safari if in Miami...

Plenty of friendly charter operations:
    Miami - RJ Diving

Ft. Lauderdale: (see the fill express website for details\contact info)
    Technical - Avid Diver & Miss Conduct
    Recreational:
    Above tech charters &
    Parrot Island
    Scubatyme

Boynton Beach:
    Underwater Explorer

Riviera Beach:
    Little Deeper

We also have a ton of locals, and we love showing visitors from RBW around our sites... Most of us dive regularally everything from 60' reefs to 200' wrecks. A few go beyond...

The Hydro and Lowrance are the jewels of tech diving in Ft. Lauderdale...
    Plenty of other good recreational range wrecks to use at workups to make sure your happy w/ the gear and operation after travel... (Captain Dan, RSB-1, Jim Atria, Guy Harvey, Tenneco Towers)

-Tim

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Quote Originally Posted by diverchris  View Original Post

The other shop is Silent World but the shop is three miles from the boat. Simply put Conch Republic Divers is much, much better. .
    Really LOL!? Please explain why? We were voted 'best dive shop in Florida' for the last 2 years running by the readers of Florida Monthly Magazine. We took the award from Ocean Divers who held it for the previous 7 years. We are in the Lonely Planet Guide and have also won Scuba Diving Mag ratings every year since we took it over.

Yes, our boats are not at the shop for a reason. We run out of the North end of Key Largo, which puts us in spitting distance of the Northern Light, Whistle Buoy wreck, Vitric and Spiegel Grove. Duane and Bibb are only 40 mins. We can also get up to the wrecks of Biscayne bay quicker than any charter boat that runs out of Miami, so I think we are well located for the serious diver.

Conch Republic is in Tavernier, which is a good 20 mins drive further South from my shop and a longer drive to the Spiegel. They dont run any deep tech trips to my knowledge and we are the shop that Richie Kohler and Jarrod Jablonski choose to dive deep with when they are in town.

Dont think you have ever been on any of our tech trips have you? Come down and check us out, Im sure youll be impressed. We run an annual wreckfest which is sponsored by ADM / RBW this year. We have had Richie, Tom Mount, Jarrod Jablonski and others all diving and giving presentations, its a blast. AFAIK we are the only operation in the upper keys that runs regular tech trips and has a decompression CCR trained crew.

Anyway back to the OP! - Yes, I agree - Fill Express for your stuff and choose the charters that the SCRUBS guys recommend up there. Have a blast anywhere from West Palm Beach to Key West, theres some great wrecks!!

RBW Member Cobby is an unknown quantity at this point Cobby's Avatar
    Evolution, Pathfinder

Inspiration

Smile Re: Florida April Trip Help

Hi,

Many thanks for your advises.
    From all the advises, I concluded that I will stay the first 3 days in the Fort Lauderdale Miami area and then I will go down to the keys to dive the wrecks over there.

Regards,

Chris

+ Reply to Thread