+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kiss Sport Calibration Tool

Underwater Journal Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns's Avatar
    KISS Explorer & Spirit LTE

KIS Sport, KISS GEM, Dolphin

Re: OFF-Board Setup

If your referring to this one below. Just for the simplicity of breaking down the unit quickly after the diving is done.

The idea also led to a little home brew device for calibrating Shearwater Pursuit. works way faster, easier than doing through the entire loop or the plastic bag method.
    Attached Images
    Walt Stearns
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.UnderwaterJournal.com

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

Kiss Sport Calibration Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Stearns  View Original Post
    The idea also led to a little home brew device for calibrating Shearwater Pursuit
    Off topic.
    Walt, did you incorporate something to make sure you're not presurizing your sensors above 1atm and still calibrate them to 0.98 ? I cannot see that device on the picture.
    Best
    Philippe

Supporting Member kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone's Avatar
    Classic Kiss Hammerhead

Sport Kiss Hammerhead

Re: OFF-Board Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe GERIN  View Original Post
    Off topic.
    Walt, did you incorporate something to make sure you're not presurizing your sensors above 1atm and still calibrate them to 0.98 ? I cannot see that device on the picture.
    Best
    Philippe
    On mine I put a pressure gauge and a dwyer flow meter, one tool for all the checks.

RBW Member DamselDiver has a spectacular aura about DamselDiver has a spectacular aura about DamselDiver has a spectacular aura about DamselDiver has a spectacular aura about DamselDiver has a spectacular aura about DamselDiver has a spectacular aura about DamselDiver's Avatar

Kiss Sport Calibration Tool

Here is a simple tool to aid in sensor calibration. It's a piece of Solid Nylon Round Stock machined to fit the KISS Sport O2 sensor housing.

Picture 1 shows the tool with the swagelock elbow that fits the KISS O2 hose fed through the metering valve

Picture 2 shows the bleed orifice on the backside of the tool

Picture 3 shows the tool being used to calibrate the three O2 meters

This tool could probably be made from a section of PVC Sch 40 pipe. I had the nylon stock lying around and I had already made blanks for storage from it. I took one of my storage caps and modified it to make the calibration tool.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by DamselDiver; 19th February 2009 at 21:06.

RBW Member sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave's Avatar
    Sports Kiss

Re: Kiss Sport Calibration Tool

I've moved all the posts regarding the calibration tool from the other thread to this one, to keep them separate.

Enjoy, looks like a nifty little idea! :)

Underwater Journal Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns's Avatar
    KISS Explorer & Spirit LTE

KIS Sport, KISS GEM, Dolphin

Re: Kiss Sport Calibration Tool

As DamselDiver stated in her posting, the Sport KISS calibration tool, or Calibration Collier as I like to call it was milled from piece of nylon stock. If can be made from cylindrical material (PVC pipe, end cap, etc. with the same size diameter Sport KISS’s oxygen sensor housing where it meets the inhalation pod.

In my case of the gas line fitting in the side the collier, I used an OmniSwivel male quick disconnect. Namely because I had installed a Rebreather World - Rebreathers for Scuba Diving - the next step set on the MAV line where it meets the left shoulder pod.

Flow of oxygen is governed by the MAV the same way it is into the pod at .5 to .7 liters per minute. To keep the collar from exceeding ambient pressure, a small 1/16 size hole was placed on the opposite side of the collier from the QD fitting, which all that is needed as a safety precaution against over pressuring from the MAV’s .5 to .7 liters per minute bleed rate.

The way this works (once the collier is mated to the KISS sensor housing):

1. Plug MAV return line in the collier.
    2. Turn on the computer – Shearwater Pursuit, VR3, or VRx.
    3. Crack the O2 tank valve for a moment (count to five if you like), then close.
    4. Perform Calibration.

In less time it took to for the pressure gauge to reach 500 PSI, the entire calibration procedure was done. With the Shearwater, from start to finish 60 seconds tops.

In the past for calibrating my VR3, and/or Shearwater Pursuit, it was either completely assemble Sport and perform a complete a series (3 to 4) flushes with O2 to get O2 levels inside the loop to 100 %, or resort to placing the O2 sensor housing inside a plastic bag and feed it with 100% O2.

This is way easier, not to mention will work with K 1D model cell housing as it does with the newer R 22D sensor housings.
    Attached Images
    Walt Stearns
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.UnderwaterJournal.com

+ Reply to Thread