+ Reply to Thread

Thread: De-invert SK tanks?

RBW Member sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave's Avatar
    Sports Kiss

De-invert SK tanks?

Has anyone done this? Having problems with my trim when travelling.

I have a stainless case, at home with my 2.7l ali cylinders and drysuit I'm fine, with my 3mm wetty and the ali cyl's a bit tail heavy, but travelling with 3mm wetsuit and 3l fabers, just can't get anything remotely close to half decent trim.

So my question is I guess mainly about hose lenghts, routing etc, any input would be much appreciated, especially pics if you have "flipped" your cylinders on a Sports Kiss.

Cheers, CD

Underwater Journal Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns is a name known to all Walt Stearns's Avatar
    KISS Explorer & Spirit LTE

KIS Sport, KISS GEM, Dolphin

Re: De-invert SK tanks?

As to inverting the tanks with the valves point, there is no law or fine print in the owners manual that says you can’t. Doing so will put more weight into the top end the rig to put you a little more of a head down positions like wearing doubles. My one question for you is that with the tanks that position on your Sport KISS, are you still able to reach back and comfortably open and close the valves. If there is any difficulty in doing this, I suggest keeping it the way it is. There are other ways to work out trim problems, like repositioning your off-board bailout tank.

If they do not pose a problem, then it’s matter of selecting the right length for the replacement hoses, which will be nearly all of them. The ones to the MAV will be the most difficult, especially if they are the original steel braided swage lines.

My advice is do away with the SS hoses and Swagelock fittings and replace it with the following hose fittings:

The Kiss MAV two hose ports have standard 7/16 - 20 female threads, and OminiSwivel has all the parts save one or two so the change over is easy.

For the Oxygen feed line from the regulator first stage to the MAV (button side):
    One Micron filter with 9/16 male to 3/8 male.
    One 7/16 – 20 Male to 9/16 – 18 Female adapter.

From the MAV back the right shoulder KISS pod
    One 7/16 – 20 Male to 9/16 – 18 Male adapter.
    One 90-degree elbow with 3/8-inch female thread.

All of these parts can be ordered from KISS. The hoses (Milflex – black, blue, yellow) is the recommended choice for their strength and greater flexibility over standard low pressure. You will need two in the length according to your personal preference in how far down you want the MAV to hang.
    Walt Stearns
    Editor-in-Chief
    www.UnderwaterJournal.com

+ Reply to Thread