+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quick disconnects

RBW Member pecoranera is an unknown quantity at this point pecoranera's Avatar

Quick disconnects

Hi to evreyone i've a question:

i'd like to connect the bov of my HH directly on the bailout tank; i've thought to use the quick disconnects QC6, but i'm afraid to flood the bov everytime i'll disconnect that (for change bailout tank for exemple).

I prefer to use the QC6 male on tha bailout tank, and QC6 female on the hose to the bov. (like an RB80)

how can i resolve that problem?
    thank

Stéphane Acounis Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane's Avatar
    rEvo3 rMS

rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

Re: Quick disconnects

Hi,

The QC6 connectors must be used female (body) on the 1st stage and male (stem) on the BOV.
    You will have a small ingress of water when you'll connect them but not that much (1cm3).
    QC6 are double end shut-off connectors (unless clearly specified, but part number will be different) so no water will come in when they are disconnected.
    I have this setup and never flooded the BOV even when changing bailout sources underwater.

Sorta New Member w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

Quote Originally Posted by Stephane  View Original Post
    Hi,

The QC6 connectors must be used female (body) on the 1st stage and male (stem) on the BOV.
    Agree that is how Swagelock suggests, but many people go the other way around with no issues. The QC4 (O2 to solenoide) on the meg I had also ran male to female with no problems.

I use the female on the 1st stage, as you do, because I feel the female fitting is more robust and more protected than the male, an important factor when the stage/bailout/deco bottles are hitting each other on the floor in a moving truck or on the deck of a bouncing boat. I keep a rubber cover over the male ends on my rig (one each side).
    Bill Ripley

Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

Stéphane Acounis Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane's Avatar
    rEvo3 rMS

rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

If you disassemble the connectors you will see that the body opens first and then the stem. Gas will then push the water outside.
    If you mount them the reverse way, more liquid will enter the system.
    I think the QC4 on the Meg is not meant to be connected underwater.

CK #159 caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin's Avatar
    Classic KISS

Meg

If you disassemble the connectors you will see that the body opens first and then the stem. Gas will then push the water outside.
    If you mount them the reverse way, more liquid will enter the system.
    I think the QC4 on the Meg is not meant to be connected underwater.
    Shephane,

Real world diving. Wearing a bunch of bottles and crawling around inside of a wreck of a cave what is going to happen to those QC6 bodies that are not connected to anything? They are going to get packed with silt, clay and other junk. How are you going to clean out the hole before plugging it in? With the stem on the supply line, you can push the nipple against the cylinder and blow any junk out. To me that makes a bunch more sense that a fraction of a cc of water getting into a hose.

Cheers!!

Kevin

rEvo3 rMS

rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

Kevin,

Real world diving from someone who had a look at the Swagelok catalog. Use a body protector:

and a stem protector:

It really works! :)

CK #159 caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin is a jewel in the rough caverkevin's Avatar
    Classic KISS

Meg

Kevin,

Real world diving from someone who had a look at the Swagelok catalog.

LOL!!! Yeah, that's what you really need!!

Sorta New Member w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

Kevin,

Real world diving from someone who had a look at the Swagelok catalog. Use a body protector:

and a stem protector:

Stephane:

Thanks for the heads-up on the above. I contacted my supplier and received the attached. I have ordered the Polyethylene "Caps," since they are only $.34 USD and will be able to evaluate whether or not they will work and if they have the attached "pennants." The SS are listed as body and stem "Protectors," whereas the Polyethylene's are listed as "Caps."

Will post what I find out.

Thanks again, as I've been looking for these for some time - didn't know Swagelock made them.
    Attached Files
    Bill Ripley

Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

RBW Member pecoranera is an unknown quantity at this point pecoranera's Avatar

really tanks for these goods advices; i'll use that: bailout => firsrt stage => LP hose => QC6 female + body protector => QC6 male => LP hose => BOV.

the sequence that i'll use for changing bailout tank will be that: disconnect female/male =>replace the body protector =>change the tank => remove body protector => put near female/male=> fluscing with air =>connect the female/male.
    (sorry for my english), hi

JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

The Polyethylene Caps arrived today and for $.34 USD they're not bad. They slip over the male stud and slide into the female orifice and have a tight fit. (No comments on that sentence, please.) The color is the Juergensen blue, which is nice. No added weight and each cap has a hole to run a piece of string, etc. to make a pennant. Should keep out all of those nasties.
    Attached Images
    Bill Ripley

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast