+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Trimix reading material

  1. #1
    RBW Member deepseamark is an unknown quantity at this point deepseamark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    england yorkshire
    Posts
    8

    Trimix reading material

    Hi Guys

    Going to do my MOD 2 normoxic course mid Feb. Can anybody recommend some good reading material to read before tha course that may help.

    Thanks in advance

    Mark

  2. #2
    RBW Member jackdiver has a spectacular aura about jackdiver has a spectacular aura about jackdiver has a spectacular aura about jackdiver has a spectacular aura about jackdiver has a spectacular aura about jackdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    S.Wales
    Posts
    152
    Sentinel

    Re: Trimix reading material

    Well, I've not done mod 2 yet, but I think that Mark Powells book 'Deco for Divers' is worth a read.

    ;)

  3. #3
    for a world of water OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Providence, RI USA
    Posts
    1,386
    homebuild/custom

    Re: Trimix reading material

    A few of my favorites for all levels of technical diving:

    IANTD tech diving encyclopedia
    Deep Diving by Brett Gilliam
    Fundamentals of Deeper Sport Diivng by Lippman

    there isnt much out there for ccr specific trimix reading, but Jill Heinerth's new book is supposed to be pretty comprehensive (despite being a 'cave' text)..probably worth a look

  4. #4
    RBW Member Lumikuru is an unknown quantity at this point Lumikuru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    5

    Re: Trimix reading material

    Mel Clark's CCR Trimix Simplified comes to mind.

  5. #5
    Sic Semper Tyrannis NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Live Free or Die
    Posts
    774

    Re: Trimix reading material

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumikuru  View Original Post
    Mel Clark's CCR Trimix Simplified comes to mind.
    I second, Great read. Great resource for understanding the % of gas in the loop at each depth.

  6. #6
    Nicholas Smith Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    673
    Megalodon

    Re: Trimix reading material

    There's nothing out there that I am entirely happy with, though I own all of the books that have been listed so far. I'm assuming you already have OC trimix, so you don't have to bone up on the physics? In the graveyard of rebreather divers, there is not one who died through not knowing physics: people die from failing to turn on tanks, dead scubbers, kaput solenoids, leaky o-rings. What is needed is some old sea dog to write a book of war stories telling how to recognise and treat these problems. Plus:
    "Don't use those batteries because they have a rapid decay curve at the end of their life and the solenoid will fail without the warning light even showing"
    "The official manual says use Christolube throughout, but this is cheaper and better!
    "Here's a checklist that is faster and more efficient than the official one. If you have only taken an hour out of the water here's the abbreviated checklist of things you still need to do before diving your 'breather again."

    For me, I like the IANTD Tek Closed Circuit Rebreather book and their Encyclopaedia best of what I have. If you don't already have a copy, Lippman's Deep Diving is a classic.

  7. #7
    RBW Member trimix333 is an unknown quantity at this point trimix333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    belgium
    Posts
    66

    Re: Trimix reading material

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbo  View Original Post
    There's nothing out there that I am entirely happy with, though I own all of the books that have been listed so far. I'm assuming you already have OC trimix, so you don't have to bone up on the physics? In the graveyard of rebreather divers, there is not one who died through not knowing physics: people die from failing to turn on tanks, dead scubbers, kaput solenoids, leaky o-rings. What is needed is some old sea dog to write a book of war stories telling how to recognise and treat these problems. Plus:
    "Don't use those batteries because they have a rapid decay curve at the end of their life and the solenoid will fail without the warning light even showing"
    "The official manual says use Christolube throughout, but this is cheaper and better!
    "Here's a checklist that is faster and more efficient than the official one. If you have only taken an hour out of the water here's the abbreviated checklist of things you still need to do before diving your 'breather again.
    okay give "THE" book a name??
    what book do you purpose if you have to make a selection for starting ccr

  8. #8
    Nicholas Smith Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    673
    Megalodon

    Re: Trimix reading material

    Quote Originally Posted by trimix333  View Original Post
    okay give "THE" book a name??
    what book do you purpose if you have to make a selection for starting ccr
    I wish there were a book that answered questions such as these. At present, this book does not exist. There are people capable of writing such a book already, though, and I believe there is a market for such a book: in fact, there are hundreds of people with such an insatiable thirst for knowledge that they log on to RBW most days. My guess is I'm far from the only person on RBW that owns most books written on tech diving...

  9. #9
    rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Mill Creek, WA USA
    Posts
    1,209
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

    Re: Trimix reading material

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbo  View Original Post
    I wish there were a book that answered questions such as these. At present, this book does not exist. There are people capable of writing such a book already, though, and I believe there is a market for such a book: in fact, there are hundreds of people with such an insatiable thirst for knowledge that they log on to RBW most days. My guess is I'm far from the only person on RBW that owns most books written on tech diving...
    This book already exists and is called " Rebreathers Simplified" by Dr Mel Clark.

    This book is a complete guide to Choosing, Understanding and Diving a Closed Circuit Rebreather and is available from many sources, check out the reviews on this site, there are many.

  10. #10
    RBW Member S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Calgary - Canada
    Posts
    628
    Revo II Micro and BMR500

    Classic Kiss

    Re: Trimix reading material

    Quote Originally Posted by silentscuba  View Original Post
    This book already exists and is called " Rebreathers Simplified" by Dr Mel Clark.

    This book is a complete guide to Choosing, Understanding and Diving a Closed Circuit Rebreather and is available from many sources, check out the reviews on this site, there are many.

    My wife loved Mel's book as it was very easy for her to undertand and very imformative.

    Marc

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts