+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kia ora

RBW Member Dive_Diva is an unknown quantity at this point Dive_Diva's Avatar

Wink Kia ora

Hi everyone,

My name is Rachel and, although born in the UK, I am based in New Zealand.

I have been diving for seven years, (since learning at Stoney Cove ) and all my experience has been on OC.

A wee while ago, (maybe a year years back), I had a wee think about in which direction to take my diving. I have so far taken the recreational instruction route and since that came to a close I have spent much time (perhaps too much time..!) engaging in discussions on internet forums with the aim of further learning. Heck, I even started my own internet diving forum to ensure this was possible closer to home!! Anyway, after some consideration and conversations over a glass of pinot (or 3!) with my good friend petemes (Pete Mesley) and latterly hearing the passionate words of Simon Mitchell, a more recent acquaintance of mine; accounts of their diving adventures and driven interest in rebreathers, I am, well, sold.

So, very much looking forward to this adventure and meeting more inspirational divers :D

Kind regards,
    DD.

Diving in New Zealand? Come and say 'Kia Ora'!

Silent Lucidity mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver's Avatar
    Megalodon

Re: Kia ora

Welcome aboard, I'm sure you will find inspirational divers here.
    But, nothing inspires more then a MEG

Quote Originally Posted by mountain diver  View Original Post
    Welcome aboard, I'm sure you will find inspirational divers here.
    But, nothing inspires more then a MEG
    Thanks for the welcome. What made you go for a MEG and what inspires you about them?

Silent Lucidity mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver's Avatar
    Megalodon

Reliability, serviceability,modularity, dependability,
    the unit is built like a tank, virtually bulletproof.
    Has a mountain of hours on it (pardon the pun) and has never failed in a dive.
    I am meg loyal,do not need any other rebreather.

Casual Sport Kiss Pilot RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut's Avatar
    Sport Kiss

Hi Rachel,
    Welcome on board here at RBW!
    Glad to hear you want to come over to the "dark" side of diving!
    Read as much as possible here, and online in general, about RBs. But better than reading is trying them out. If you have a chance, try as many rigs as possible before you make your purchase decision.

Glad to have you on board!

cheers,

RBN :D

Quote Originally Posted by RebreatherNut  View Original Post
    Hi Rachel,
    Welcome on board here at RBW!
    Glad to hear you want to come over to the "dark" side of diving!
    Read as much as possible here, and online in general, about RBs. But better than reading is trying them out. If you have a chance, try as many rigs as possible before you make your purchase decision.

Glad to have you on board!

cheers,

RBN :D
    Thanks RBN,

Not sure how many rigs will be available to try over here in NZ but I've already had a go with an Inspiration and had a play (look at, not a dive) with a MEG. My friend teaches on the Inspo so I think that will most likely be the one I opt for. Can anyone give me pros / cons for this make in comparison to some others?

Thanks,
    DD

Quote Originally Posted by mountain diver  View Original Post
    Reliability, serviceability,modularity, dependability,
    the unit is built like a tank, virtually bulletproof.
    Has a mountain of hours on it (pardon the pun) and has never failed in a dive.
    I am meg loyal,do not need any other rebreather.
    ...and am I correct in thinking they're a fully manual system (except for one or two digital displays)? This is appealing.....:D

RBW Member kiwidiver will become famous soon enough kiwidiver will become famous soon enough kiwidiver will become famous soon enough kiwidiver's Avatar
    evo+,deep pursuit

Ask greg if he would choose a meg again.That should narrow your search pattern a little.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidiver  View Original Post
    Ask greg if he would choose a meg again.That should narrow your search pattern a little.
    Hi Mark :D

It's his meg I have looked at, briefly. I haven't asked him who trained him... I should know this but is there training available on it in NZ?

Rach.
    Last edited by Dive_Diva; 25th January 2009 at 09:50.

Hi Rach :)
    I do like eCCR and acknowledge the lectures on mCCR. Perhaps try to get some easy shallow dives on different units before you invest?
    I have dived with many on Meg, Pelagian, Mk15, KISS, Inspos etc. I can see the ups and downs of respetive systems. The Pelagian works well without any concern, just need to sustain PO2. It is very compact, robust and streamlined. Watching someone assembling a Prism is a good source of banter, but the unit worked consistently well for two weeks at sea.
    I like my Vision Inspo in a KT box. If I were to invest again would try a lot of other units before dropping cash. WOB is a significant factor worthy of consideration.
    Some learnings from my short time on CCR:
    - the bolts between my backplate and the APD box punched through due to a stride entry from 2m freebord, hence I invested in a KT box
    - despite suffering a puncture in his inhalation hose during a dive, my buddy's Inspo did not flood throughout a 170 minute dive, remarkable
    - an integrated dive computer is very nice, stand-alone backup essential
    - of two KISS classics on a 2006 expedition, one worked flawlessly whilst the second was a source of great effort
    - servicability is an issue in Asia, including NZ... the cost of shipping a unit to europe or USA is increasing
    safe diving!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast