+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cold Water Spool Design

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

Cold Water Spool Design

HI all,

I have been playing with a simply mod for any spool. my aim was to make laying line and smb deployment easier keeping in mid I still need it to be compact.

I have played with my first designs and feel that it works great when using gloves in cold water and makes SMB deployment very easy.

would welcome any feedback as I could not find a commercially available concept other than the obvious reels...

spool 001.jpg
    spool 002.jpg
    spool 003.jpg
    Attached Images

RBW Member cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Re: Cold Water Spool Design

Can you still brake the reel by squeezing the the white "shoulders" together?

Cam

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cameron  View Original Post
    Can you still brake the reel by squeezing the the white "shoulders" together?

Cam
    I find its easier to just use your index finger on the spool itself or the palm of the other hand to give drag.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

I modified a spool to make it much better at laying line and SMB deploymnet...

It looks like this:

x

:D

Life starts at 100 rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo's Avatar
    Pelagian DCCCR

Classic KISS, Megalodon

Spool... great for SMB deployment
    Reel... crap for SMB deployment

Why?

-A reel might jam

-Can get the line stuck on the revolving handle

-Way to much line for most SMB needs

-Very big

-Very expensive which mean you do not want to let it go when it jams

-I had major mishaps myself and had to cut the line many times with students trying to not ensnare them self in the reel and line.
    It is not a big thing to learn how to do it safe but why bother with it when there are spools?

I carry a reel on all deeper dives just in case I do need to shoot a bag from depth.
    Otherwise I rarely see the need to deploy deeper than 35m which is a nice length to have on a 50m spool.

Keep it up Matt!
    Interesting to see what you come up with..
    We sure need help here in a cold climate where we are forced to dive with those ¨Ronald McDonald-style¨ Nordic Blue cloves

my cents

/Rodge

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    I modified a spool to make it much better at laying line and SMB deploymnet...

It looks like this:

x

:D
    you should have made the handle bigger looking at that chunky hand with a 5mm glove it must be hard to use:D

I have one of those two but two or three don't fit in my pockets
    Last edited by tecdivertraining; 24th January 2009 at 11:28.

RBW Member cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron's Avatar
    KISS Classic

I guess if it works for ya, right on.
    Its just that I've never had any problems deploying spools with drygloves on so its a bit of a fix to a non-problem.

Cam

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Quote Originally Posted by tecdivertraining  View Original Post
    I find its easier to just use your index finger on the spool itself or the palm of the other hand to give drag.
    I see a simple mod that WOULD allow easy deployment and squeeze-the-white-bits braking. Simply adjust the lengths of the large and small axle halves so that an appropriate stainless spring can be captured inside the larger diameter axle part by the smaller diameter one. Adjust assembled length w/ thru bolt so that when spring spreads two parts against bolt, spool spins freely. Squeeze halves together & braking happens. A small bit would need to be added to outside of one white part to keep axle assembly from spinning under fingers when braking. :)

RBW Member trimix333 is an unknown quantity at this point trimix333's Avatar

hi all

i have the opinion that you use a spool in the reason that is primarly needed for: backup and quick deployment;example penetration on wreckdive.
    when you start with modifiyng mostly you end up with ...........yes a dive reel
    i always use one spool on wreck dive indeed lowcost and it dos'nt hurt wen you loos it.
    for liftbag etc i use my reel
    modifiyng mostly brings larger cost than the original and satisfaction is rearely achiefed
    greetz
    jan

Smeagle-the dive carnival otterinaround is just really nice otterinaround is just really nice otterinaround is just really nice otterinaround is just really nice otterinaround is just really nice otterinaround is just really nice otterinaround is just really nice otterinaround is just really nice otterinaround is just really nice otterinaround's Avatar
    Ouroboros

O2ptima

Thumbs up Re: Cold Water Spool Design

I never use the little hand spools. Fingers can get stuck in them when one is warm water diving. I've seen gloves get caught in the gaps on the sides of them as the string comes off. Though they may be cheap, SMB's aren't.

The SMB is also a marker for the boat and a method of alerting a crew that the brown stuff has hit the whirly thing.

I have designed reels of smaller size for short ranges of Decompression depths so that tech divers can send up a SMB at the first deep stop which is a bit of a distance for some {60 meters} (that's our protocol anyway).

The locking mechanisms on my own designed reel lock in at specific depths and provide enough grip to hold a reel solid.

I've dropped deco bottles on them from topside.
    Thrown them on asphalt from 30 yards on the boat, kicked them, and spun them around behind cars. I had loads of fun beta testing them. The pictures below are AFTER ALL THE FUN AND GAMES. So breaking a reel doesn't enter the picture. I'd posted the pics of them on here ages ago. As I said when they were first on here. Like all the products from Dive Straight Down... guaranteed for life. "I test them so that I could BET MY LIFE ON IT so you don't have to bet yours."

The whole key to cold water and functionality , for me at least, is BIG GRIP ZONES that can be grabbed with the dumpy Dry Gloves and furry mittens. This being said all knobs dials and handles should be diamond plate (or whatever the little pattern is that cuts into the stainless steel I use on my reels).

I also found the width of clearance on the edge of the reel to be another safety point. Other reels have far too much of a gap to loop and knot spinning running line. A lip over the edge of the reel would seem like a good answer but wobble made such a lip a massive problem. The wobbling reel would actually slow like a brake on the edge of the retainer lip. Proximity of the lip to the spool edge - being is as thin or nearly as thin as the line, seemed to be the best bet.

Our locking mechanism took a while to figure out as well but those details should maybe come later as it seems you don't use a lock screw.

I love the innovation of the squeeze break but with a thumb on the reel it seems a similar path of adding resistance. Reeling along a confined space ,for me, requires a handle and ample amounts of sturdy line {I think the sturdy part comes from nightmare drills in the fire service}.

Best regards on your invention endeavor, lemme know should one of my reels interest you.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast