+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: rebreather costs

RBW Member DeepB is an unknown quantity at this point DeepB's Avatar
    KISS Classic

rebreather costs

hello

for a long time now i wanted to go into rebreathers. The one thing why i haven't done it by now is the costs, but now i've seen on this thread they arent THIS expensive.
    And because I am living in Europe I thought of an Inspiration.
    The question is: how much is training approx, and how much would a good used unit cost (i can wait for a while, not limited to inspirations, but want a eCCR), and does it even make sense to buy a used one?

regards
    DeepB

Sorta New Member w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley is a name known to all w ripley's Avatar
    JM Hammerhead

ISC Hammer-MEG

Re: rebreather costs

Nothing wrong with a used Rebreather - just know who you are buying it from and how well they take care of their equipment. Check out their posts on RBW to see how they think, which will tell you a lot about how they respect their gear.

Can't help you with prices on your side of the pond, but remember the equipment is what is going to keep you alive (your brain is needed somewhere in there, too). So, shop but don't cut corners that end up cutting your own throat.

Best wishes and hope you get your unit soon.
    Bill Ripley

Rebreathers are something that we have to go to in order to dive the way we want to dive. They are not something we go to for any other reason.

Closed Account onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime's Avatar

Training costs, as always, depends on exactly what you want, where you want it, and who you'll be using. For Mod 1 instruction I'd budget about $1500, then another couple of hundred for absorbent, then another bit for gas, and then a couple hundred more for boat dives or entry fees.

Used RB prices are also going to depend on what you're getting specifically. Do you want the latest and greatest software/computers? Does it come with tanks? Backplate? Wing? etc. There are definitely some good deals on RB's out there in the used market if you're patient but you'll have to budget some money for repair/replacement of some things. O2 sensors, batteries, etc.

Out of curiosity, what made you decide specifically on eccr?

Sebastian Chander Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg's Avatar
    Deep Smeg

Megalodon

If your after an EU/CE approved eCCR, your looking at either the Sentinel or the Inspiration/Evolution.

Sentinel Prices - Manufacturer

Inspo/Evo Prices
    - Dealer

I've seen used units being sold for about £1000 cheaper than RRP.

An option you have with the Inspo is a used Classic version, which i've seen for as low as £2500. You could then upgrade the electronics package when you have more money. Again you have options for this which are a Vision electronics package from AP at around £2900 or the Shearwater Deep Pursuit package from Narked @ 90 at around £1900. This might get you diving CCR sooner.

Used units need vetting like anything else, save for the fact that your trusting your life to them.
    Some damage is normal wear & tear and easy to fix/replace, but there may be units out there which will require more investment/knowledge to fix up. A good instructor will usually be able to asses a used unit for it's condition prior to you actually training on it.

IANTD Advanced Nitrox/Level 1 training has pretty standard pricing (in the UK at least) at around £650. Not sure about the other agencies.

Hope this gets you started

Seb

Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar

If you're in the UK and on a budget, and you want ECCR, then your choice comes down to an Inspiration classic, they are available in the UK from £2000 for reasonable to £2.5k+ for stunning condition.

Figure maintainance costs are going to be a minimum of £200 a year (3 cells + a few seals) and potentialy a lot more.

If buying second hand, either convince your instructor or someone you trust who dives one to come with you to look at units, or buy one with a fresh service from APD (ring them up with the Serial#. and they can confirm when it was last serviced, and what work was done to it).
    Or buy a dog of a unit that works and figure that you'll need at least a full electronics service, a replacement loom (might as well get SMB), new cells, the new style solenoid and a few seals (check costs with AP but the above may cost approx £900) as soon as it stops working. Assuming you can get it for the right price.

HTH
    Simon A

RBW Member lpgjag is an unknown quantity at this point lpgjag's Avatar

I bought a used Inspo Classic from an instructor in Plymouth. £2500 for an older unit but which had been serviced in July and included the training. I have subsequently laid out a bit more for an ADV and backplate.

You can source cheap units but would you trust your life to them? Diving on a budget can be more bother than it is worth. Better to save a little more and spend on the best you can afford.

Incidentally, used Sentinels are almost twice the price of most Inspos and it is a big unit. Good luck with whatever you go for, I'd recommend the Classic because it is quite easy to live with.

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

[quote=lpgjag;236352]
    You can source cheap units but would you trust your life to them? Diving on a budget can be more bother than it is worth. Better to save a little more and spend on the best you can afford.
    Agree.

Incidentally, used Sentinels are almost twice the price of most Inspos and it is a big unit. Good luck with whatever you go for, I'd recommend the Classic because it is quite easy to live with
    Can you explain "big unit"? It isn´t absolutly bigger. Anyway of course they cost more than a used Classic, they are new and a little bit advanced.

Nad

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Quote Originally Posted by onetime  View Original Post
    Training costs, as always, depends on exactly what you want, where you want it, and who you'll be using. For Mod 1 instruction I'd budget about $1500, then another couple of hundred for absorbent, then another bit for gas, and then a couple hundred more for boat dives or entry fees.
    1500??? I ask for Mod1 750€ gas and absorbent included...
    For 850 accomodation and food included...

Time to revision.

Nad

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Nad  View Original Post
    1500??? I ask for Mod1 750€ gas and absorbent included...
    For 850 accomodation and food included...

Time to revision.

Nad
    You work too cheap ;)

I get $1200 for a CROSSOVER, $1600 for a full class... consumables extra..
    If I have to travel to an alternate location, they pay expenses..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

RBW Member lpgjag is an unknown quantity at this point lpgjag's Avatar

Can I explain 'big unit'?

Yes, the Sentinel has a considerably deeper profile than the Inspl, it is physically a larger unit. In the same way as a BMW 7-Series is bigger than an Audi A6. Similar specs but not the same thing really!!

I'm not knocking the Sentinel, my buddy has one and loves it but if the point of the thread was to identify an affordable CCR I think that the Inspo ticks his boxes, particularly a used Classic. By all means progress to a Sentinel, God knows I'd like to....but all in good time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast