+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: FL S.C.R.U.B.'s Trip Report w/Pics: Captain Dan Wreck & Shark Reef: 01-11-2009

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

FL S.C.R.U.B.'s Trip Report w/Pics: Captain Dan Wreck & Shark Reef: 01-11-2009

On January 11th, 2009, a few Florida S.C.R.U.B.'s boarded the charter boat Scubatyme (.:: SCUBATYME ::.) in Pompano Beach Florida for a couple of afternoon ocean dives to one of our favorite recreational wrecks, followed my a reef drift dive.

There were seven Florida S.C.R.U.B.'s rebreather divers onboard, including 4 Optimas, 1 Revo, 1 Kiss Classic & 1 Meg, and two friends of Rob (vidodivr) who joined us diving open circuit. All in all, it was a very nice turnout for a winter Sunday afternoon dive! Those in attendence included:

Howard (ScubaDadMiami) - Optima
    Tim (netmage, A.K.A. Hello Kitty) - Meg
    Don (Dsix36) - Revo
    Rob (vidodivr) - Kiss Classic
    Adrian (SFLDiver) - Optima
    Mark (n2diving) - Optima
    Lisa (ledivevideo) - Optima
    Gary - OC
    Anthony - OC

When we boarded the boat, we noticed that Rob brough his video camera with him. Now normally, seeing a video camera onboard is not something that would merit a second look, but this was different, because it looked more like an IMAX 3D Camera, than a regular video camera. After giving it a thorough inspection, I tried to pick it up, but since I didn't have my weight lifting belt on, and it had to of weighed in the area of 50 pounds or so, I didn't want to risk a hernia at the start of the trip. BTW, Rob is a professional videographer, which explains his need for the big guns! Here's a few shots of Rob underwater with his little handicam:

On the first dive, we dove the wreck of the Captain Dan. The Captain Dan is a 175' former Coast Guard Buoy Tender that sits in approximately 110' of water. The wreck has been down since 1990, so it has already accumulated a fair amount of growth on it. The wreck also offers a few nice opportunities of safe penetration, and I did see several of out fellow S.C.R.U.B.'s divers disappear into the wreck on their usual quest for dark tight areas of the wreck. Here's a couple of shots I took that show the growth on the Captain Dan:

On the second dive, Captian Dave dropped us on Shark Reef for an our long drift dive along the inside edge of the reef in approximately 60' of water. We had a brisk current, which made for a nice gliding dive, except for Rob of course, because he had to drag around his tiny camera the entire dive.

As you can see I snapped a few shots throughout the day, both topside and underwater, so here's a few shots so you folks out there can see what we were up to:

All in all, despite the low visibility conditions and the cooler winter water temperature, it turned out to be a nice day of diving, as is usually the case when the Florida S.C.R.U.B.'s get together!

After the dives, the long ride in and the obligatory unloading of the gear, in true S.C.R.U.B.'s tradition, several of us went out to get a bite to eat together. As usual, our fealess leader Howard had done his homework and selected a nearby establishment that met with his vegan dietary requirements. Now this doesn't always work out great for the carnivors in the group, so as you can imagine, many of us were somewhat suspect with his choice, but yesterday, he hit the nail on the head and selected a local Italian Restaurant/Pizzaria that had the most amazing pizza - Good call Howard!!!

So in normal S.C.R.U.B.'s tradition, here's a shot of the group at the post dive meal!

RBW Member brandon will become famous soon enough brandon will become famous soon enough brandon will become famous soon enough brandon's Avatar

Re: FL S.C.R.U.B.'s Trip Report w/Pics: Captain Dan Wreck & Shark Reef: 01-11-2009

Thanks for the report. That second pic of Tim could get real ugly if someone with some photoshop skills got a hold of it.

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Re: FL S.C.R.U.B.'s Trip Report w/Pics: Captain Dan Wreck & Shark Reef: 01-11-2009

Quote Originally Posted by brandon  View Original Post
    Thanks for the report. That second pic of Tim could get real ugly if someone with some photoshop skills got a hold of it.
    Brandon, this is a dangerous group to be making such suggestions too, because someone is very likely to take your suggestion and run with it, and poor Tim has already taken a beating with the whole Hello Kitty theme.:D

However, I like your thinking on this one, and I'm sure there must me an engineer in Pennsylvania somewhere, getting creative on Photoshop, as we speak...I'm not saying, I'm just saying!

RBW Member brandon will become famous soon enough brandon will become famous soon enough brandon will become famous soon enough brandon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sfldiver  View Original Post
    Brandon, this is a dangerous group to be making such suggestions too, because someone is very likely to take your suggestion and run with it, and poor Tim has already taken a beating with the whole Hello Kitty theme.:D

However, I like your thinking on this one, and I'm sure there must me an engineer in Pennsylvania somewhere, getting creative on Photoshop, as we speak...I'm not saying, I'm just saying!

I am not making any suggestions but a man bent over with somthing in his mouth

but I'm not saying anything

RBW Member Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee's Avatar
    OPTIMA

Nice report and pictures. Sorry I had to work, thought I might get the day off at the last minute, but.....
    Hope to join next time.

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Great pics as usual. Blimey, thats a serious bit of video kit. Is it a gates housing?

Weather has been great lately - are we in for a good summer, or am I tempting fate?? :)

BTW - whos dving Mels rig then?
    Last edited by ChrisBrown; 13th January 2009 at 01:29. Reason: question

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Silent World  View Original Post
    Great pics as usual. Blimey, thats a serious bit of video kit. Is it a gates housing?

Weather has been great lately - are we in for a good summer, or am I tempting fate?? :)

That would be ME.

It's not Mel's rig anymore.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member deepstops is an unknown quantity at this point deepstops's Avatar

Nice report.

It's nice to know Umberto's still exists. It used to be on the other side of the bridge but the original building was torn down to build condos they can't sell ;)

swims in fishes toilets vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr's Avatar

aaahhhh, that's right, I could not for the life of me remember where it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by deepstops  View Original Post
    Nice report.

It's nice to know Umberto's still exists. It used to be on the other side of the bridge but the original building was torn down to build condos they can't sell ;)

swims in fishes toilets vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr is a glorious beacon of light vidodivr's Avatar

It's an HVX200 in a Seatool Housing.
    Ryan at ReefPhoto dialed it in pretty good and it's only about 1 pound negative in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris at Silent World  View Original Post

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast