+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Hazard, Crushed Sodalime Packed In Plastic Bags

Nicholas Smith Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo's Avatar
    Megalodon

Re: Hazard, Crushed Sodalime Packed In Plastic Bags

Hi. I'm dead. The vast majority of my dives are done with bagged scrubber. I typically use that scrubber a third beyond its recommended 3 hrs. So, this is RBW's first post from beyond the grave.

I'm going to need someone who read the whole of that 70-page document: I know there's something she's worked up about but she's got this verbal diarrhoea thing - she's the kind of person you ask the way to the bathroom and she prefaces her answer with a history of navigation from ancient Egyptian times. Is there a movie scheduled I can watch?

I really don't need to go buy a testing kit for pH: I could look on the side of the keg. It says it's 94% calcium hydroxide and 4% sodium hydroxide: CaOH has a pH of 12.4 and NaOH is 14.0, so it must be a little over 12.4. Isn't the internet great! What are you telling me I didn't learn in Mod 1? It's not coke: don't snort it.

Unbanned cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abbo  View Original Post
    What are you telling me I didn't learn in Mod 1? It's not coke: don't snort it.
    And don't forget to clean up spills on the bench so someone does'nt sit down with a wet suit and bleach a hole in their bikini bottom.

At least she isn't claiming that Molecular Products are serial killers.

RBW Member ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver is just really nice ChemicalDiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mverick  View Original Post
    Do you let that sit for day's? Or weeks?

I know I don't.
    Ok, I am a chemist and need to chip in here. Pulling a little air out of a zip lock bag will not remove and water in the sorb, or have any other effect on the sorb that I can imagine. As I envision it, it keeps the grains stuck together in a nice solid pack and that is that. Pulling water out of any chemical (especially if it is a hydrate) is quite hard and needs a high vacuum for extended periods of time with a trap removing it from the original contained or heat.
    All the pH talk of the original poster seems to be quite silly. Soda lime is of course unpleasant if ingested or inhaled, but to a professional chemist, these chemicals are the daily use chemicals which are actually quite benign to what I would use on a daily basis. Hydroxide ion is all over the place, also in the body. In germany they use hydroxide to treat bread to make the famous "Laugenbread". In the UK they add acetic acid to chips to make "salt and vinegar crisps". The pKa of acetic acid is around 4, MUCH lower than neutral, but quite nice to eat actually....!
    This sounds to me again like sterilising the cup to then drink from the sewer from it. "Aha, nasty chemicals in luggage! Must stop this! ". To then run around NY downtown at rush hour and breathe in all sorts of stuff. Rubbish. Everything is toxic if a ton of it falls on your head.

rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalDiver  View Original Post
    Ok, I am a chemist and need to chip in here. Pulling a little air out of a zip lock bag will not remove and water in the sorb, or have any other effect on the sorb that I can imagine. As I envision it, it keeps the grains stuck together in a nice solid pack and that is that. Pulling water out of any chemical (especially if it is a hydrate) is quite hard and needs a high vacuum for extended periods of time with a trap removing it from the original contained or heat.
    All the pH talk of the original poster seems to be quite silly. Soda lime is of course unpleasant if ingested or inhaled, but to a professional chemist, these chemicals are the daily use chemicals which are actually quite benign to what I would use on a daily basis. Hydroxide ion is all over the place, also in the body. In germany they use hydroxide to treat bread to make the famous "Laugenbread". In the UK they add acetic acid to chips to make "salt and vinegar crisps". The pKa of acetic acid is around 4, MUCH lower than neutral, but quite nice to eat actually....!
    This sounds to me again like sterilising the cup to then drink from the sewer from it. "Aha, nasty chemicals in luggage! Must stop this! ". To then run around NY downtown at rush hour and breathe in all sorts of stuff. Rubbish. Everything is toxic if a ton of it falls on your head.
    Well put, thanks for the input and I really, really believe you and now we can all move on :)

Cheers

New Member hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca is a jewel in the rough hoppyinca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Numpty diver  View Original Post
    ...first approach the airlines and ask them to treat our luggage with some kind of care....
    I hear ya... just finished a trip to Maui, check my Mk15 and was told to set it aside. I did and the baggage guy can and threw it like 2 - 3 feet on to the cart!

packed it way heavy, it was 96lbs... I thought at that point it would just be easier to slide it on to the cart?... F'ers!

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalDiver  View Original Post
    ..."Aha, nasty chemicals in luggage! Must stop this! "...
    I actually think it is more than this. clearly we are being warned about the most massive machiavellian conspiracy against all of us. Not just us lonely rebreather divers, but all of use who might happen to have a benign acute accidental exposure to some dust!

all the nefarious players are named; DOT, EPA, UN, WHO, NYU, all the sorb manufactures (W.R. Grace, Drager, Molecular, Sigma-whoever, etc.).

I feel so much safer now that this is out in the open!... and my posting about using ziplock bags to transport sorb didn't even have to be included!!! yey!

clearly the original poster is a bit of a lolo-head ... well, IMHO anyway...

hoppy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5