+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Diving in Nigeria and Angola

RBW Member aford is an unknown quantity at this point aford's Avatar
    APD Inspo Vision

Re: Diving in Nigeria and Angola

Hello there,
    I am at present working offshore Angola and there is a lot of fish life arround the vessel, Tuna, Durrado, white tip sharks etc but we are about 50 mile offshore.
    I spent quite a few months on the "beach" and again the fishermen were catching lots but I also agree with everyone else in that the vis is very poor close to the shore and that your gear will probably not get through customs or it will at a price after a few weeks delay and also that when it is here you will have to sleep with it on to keep it with you!!!
    I have heard that there used to be a dive shop in Luanda where possibly you could get air fills but I do not know if it is still open but I do not think that there would be any support for CCR at all.
    I did think myself of doing some diving before I arrived but as soon as I had arrived and saw the general situation here all thoughts of diving went out the window.
    Alex

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

What are you doing off shore, Alex? Oil rig? What is life like, generally in Angola?

Would love to hear other folks' perspectives on differing parts of Africa for work/etc.

Kevin.

RBW Member Constantino is an unknown quantity at this point Constantino's Avatar

Hi !

Fast forward 2011 :)
    I'm based in Portugal and am looking into the possibility of organizing some form (any form !) of diving "expedition" to Angola.
    I'm in Luanda on business this week (30-May to 03-Jun) and would be great to make use of the opportunity to make some contacts ...

Anybody know whom to talk to in Luanda (Angola in general) ?

Thanks in advance,
    Ricardo

RBW Member Wreck detective is an unknown quantity at this point Wreck detective's Avatar
    Meg

I spent 12 years working in Angola from 1996.
    There was never a dive shop in Luanda while i was there and could never really track down anyone diving there due to the situation. There could possibly be some south africans now days with they're own compressor around town. But No commercial operation (LDS), except the commercial divers, certainly NO Rebreather supplies, plenty of rust up and down the coast though.
    Grab ya board though, Some great uncrowded surf up and down the coast.
    Last edited by Wreck detective; 29th May 2011 at 13:31.

RBW Member Constantino is an unknown quantity at this point Constantino's Avatar

Hi !

Found a dive shop in Luanda :)
    Fernando Fernandes, the owner & manager, already has the house at the Clube Naval and (recreational) dive gear in Luanda to start operating.
    It looked like a very serious operation.
    His website Domain Default page will be up soon with contact info and such ...

Enjoy,
    Ricardo

RBW Member Groupie59 has a spectacular aura about Groupie59 has a spectacular aura about Groupie59 has a spectacular aura about Groupie59 has a spectacular aura about Groupie59 has a spectacular aura about Groupie59's Avatar

I spent two years diving off of Warri in Nigeria. This was as a commercial diver on the rigs and 'Single Buoy Moorings' (SBM) off there. The Barracuda, red snapper, dorado etc are huge and numerous. But, you take your life in your hands just going there. I wrote about this a lot in my book DIVER and I get emails from all over the world about Nigeria. Not just from Princes that seem to want to give me money!
    Attached Images