+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from Brunei

RBW Member ThomasK is an unknown quantity at this point ThomasK's Avatar

Wink Hello from Brunei

Hello out there,

my name is Dr. Thomas Kuehnel, I am German and currently work and live in Brunei. In the world of bubbles I am qualified as open water instructor for BSAC. As you can see from lancer4545's post I just completed the intruduction CCR course for Megs.

The main reason for taking the course was to get a "real life" experience on a CCR rather than just using one in the pool for a try. The course was a lot tougher than I thought but taught me a range of new skills thanks to the excellent guidance of Simon and Lance. It is indeed true that you (almost) start from square one on a CCR. Especially driving the unit in manual mode.
    But I loved it. I could get close up photos from marine life that otherwise just hides.

I don't own a Meg so far but seriously think about getting one.
    There are a few things though that I am not too sure about and any advice would be greatly appreciated:
    - The bulk of the diving on our club is reefs and platforms max depth 35m, 1h.
    - I would be the only CCR diver in the club.
    - How to get absorbant?
    - How to travel? ( stories I hear so far is that these units pack quite nicely but you nearly almost exceed the luggage allowance of economy tickets).
    - For instruction I need to be on open circuit.
    Do these points out weight the benefits?

Safe diving and always enough of whatever you are breathing.

Thomas

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Re: Hello from Brunei

Hi Thomas,

Good to see you found it and Welcome to Rebreatherworld.

I have to agree we all had a lot of fun during your course....... :D

Regards,

Lance

Markku Diedrich Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure's Avatar
    Megalodon Apeks 2.5

Classic Inspiration

Hi Thomas welcome here on RBW. Auch ich muss als Instructor OC ausbilden, aber CCR tauchen ist einfach so geil das ich letztes Jahr 2 OC TG gemacht habe in tiefen von 15 - 70 metern. Ich find das lohnt sich immer. Sorb und spare parts kannst du bestimmt von Robb Lance bekommen, ansonsten schreib mir ne pm. Great and safe dives and a happy new year.

RBW Member RonVA is an unknown quantity at this point RonVA's Avatar
    Megalodon

Hi Thomas,

Welcome to the world of CCR diving and good to hear that you enjoyed the introduction course. I trust you realise however that it will take many more dives to fully appreciate the pro's and con's of the CCR.

Where about are you in Brunei since you mention that you would be the only CCR diver in the club. The Panaga club in KB has at least one very experienced CCR diver and I know of a few divers in Bandar who have bought or were thinking very seriously to buy an Inspiration. Do a search on RBW to find their introduction post for their contact details.

I took the easy way to get my sorb by bringing it in myself in my luggage and later having a rotator bringing it in from the States (twice a pail of s/lime in a duffel bag without any hassle!), which is also how I get my spare parts. You will be able to get sorb from Singapore, search for an entry in RBW from some time ago.

For me travellling has not been an issue, get a carry on case for the canister, head, regs and other heavy bits, and you will be able to keep the check in luggage around 20 kg. I even managed to get it on an AirAsia flight but don't let the flight attendents help you to put in the overhead storage!

Regards,

Ronald
    Miri

RBW Member bambang is an unknown quantity at this point bambang's Avatar

Hi Dr Kuehnel,

In the Indonesian side of Borneo there are three location where you can get Sorb and O2 to 200 bar: Berau (For Derawan/Sangalaki diving area) Balikpapan (for Battle of Balikpapan wrecks) and Cape Bara (for Biduk biduk wall dives)

Cheers,

BB

+ Reply to Thread