+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Going under after going under

RBW Member CLASSIC TED will become famous soon enough CLASSIC TED will become famous soon enough CLASSIC TED will become famous soon enough CLASSIC TED's Avatar

Going under after going under

Like many others I`m sure the onset of sea sickness can really shake you up on a dive.On my last hard boat trip I quote the skipper
    " I`ve seen worse cases of sea sickness on my boat but never seen some one as sick as you who still dived"
    Before the onset of you shouldnt be diving blah blah blah.
    Once I hit the water I`m fine the only trouble is that I know that once I reach top side I`ll be trying to drag my stomach through my mouth again.
    I have tried every thing you could think of ,food,no food, pills, patches, ginger even trusty toast the list is endless which brings me to the crunch.
    Ive read an article which basically says that during the making of the movie Waterworld Kevin Kostner tried every thing as well and what finally worked was hypnotherapy.This got me thinking is it really all to do with balance mechanism or am I just convincing my self that no matter what I WILL BE SICK?
    I hate diving on medication even more so on CCR,in fact bad as it is I would sooner throw up and dive at least then my heads right (if it ever is)
    Any one out there tried going under to go under? or know a man/woman who has.
    I have nothing to loose so before the next dive season I will give it a go and let you know,watch this space.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Re: Going under after going under

Have you tried taking 2 pills the night before?
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member CLASSIC TED will become famous soon enough CLASSIC TED will become famous soon enough CLASSIC TED will become famous soon enough CLASSIC TED's Avatar

Yep done that,pills the night before and carried on with the pills for the rest of the dive holiday only difference was the taste when they came back.
    Best I tried were patches but after a weeks diving I felt spaced out and totally pissed when I got back on dry land,that lasted for 2 bloody days.

RBW Member Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68's Avatar

What works well for me:

Eat good solid food - low on grease. Breads, potatoes etc. Don't go empty stomach. Eat a comfortable amount but don't short yourself.

Well rested and comfortable. Not stressed, hot and tired.

Stay away from acidic drinks OJ lemonaide.

Stay away from diesel smell.

Don't go below decks for anything. (shit/piss before leaving the docks)

Geared up and ready to go before the boat stops driving - or better yet gear ready on the docks and ready to go before the boat stops driving. Don't be trying to deal with gear when the boat is tossing around on the surface. Don't hesitate to have someone spray you with a cool water hose if you start getting warm.

First one off the boat - last one back onboard.

If the tossing starts getting to you I find anger better than despair.

High END mixes tend to make me slightly queezy on the bottom (I've never noticed it as problem on surfacing though - but couldn't help).

Some sun tan lotions give a bad taste if they get on lips/regs/mouth. To be avoided.

Cheers Gary
    the cold water in the face does help short term it also gives the skippers mate someone to vent his anger on,normally goes down a treat.
    SUN LOTION ! its bloody freezing here about -3C and white over with frost ;)
    try to avoid eating it anyway.
    Have a Good New Year & Safe Diving.
    High End mixes sounds interesting not felt sick on that YET
    Ed

Go diving zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz's Avatar

Become the skipper's best friend. Become the coffee b!tc# if you have to. The wheel is often a spot where the entire vessel girates. Just like the driver of a vehicle "feels" every movement of the car because of the added contact with the steering wheel. This helps maintain orientation.

Also, keep your eyes on the horizon. The visual cue is the strongest and can override what your inner ear is telling your brain. The wheelhouse is also where this is best achieved in a dry and comfy surrounding.

Avoid the rear deck of a vessel, diesel and exaust fumes are to be avoided absolutely. It is better to be fore, even if you drown than out back where the fumes will surely make you ill.

Do some balancing exercizes. Hikes where you can jump from rock to rock and maintain balance through all manner of jumps and contortions will enhance your response to excess stimuli. Even regular head rolling exercize can be a benefit. There is training even in these obscure corners of the psych.

Eat well before going out! In the worst case, you will have something to cough up, nothing worse than that dry heaving. There is nothing but positive at that end, you can simulate those eating disorders that make the stars have great figures (within reason).
    Last edited by zzzzzzzz; 31st December 2008 at 22:10.

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

I'm similar, no matter how bad I feel I'd rather get in the water than stay on a boat if I'm seasick. What works for me, I stay outside no matter what the weather. If I sit inside then I start feeling unwell. So basically get the best cold/wet weather gear that you can to stay warm/dry. Outside in the fresh air with a view of the horizon I don't get ill at all generally. Cold, wet & miserable maybe but at least not ill.

If it's rough and I've been feeling seasick on the way in then usually when I hit the shallow stops I start feeling it again with the swells and the line whipping up and down. I find decoing on a jonline really helps that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary68  View Original Post
    Eat good solid food - low on grease. Breads, potatoes etc. Don't go empty stomach. Eat a comfortable amount but don't short yourself.
    Black pudding and potato scone roll from the Cedar Cafe near Eyemouth... beakfast of champions :D Works every time for me!

Geared up and ready to go before the boat stops driving - or better yet gear ready on the docks and ready to go before the boat stops driving. Don't be trying to deal with gear when the boat is tossing around on the surface.
    That's the thing that gets me every time. Usually, it's looking down to either clip on stage bottles or put my fins on. I have at times jumped in the water holding a stage or fins rather than trying to sort it out.

RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zzzzzzzz  View Original Post
    The wheel is often a spot where the entire vessel girates. Just like the driver of a vehicle "feels" every movement of the car because of the added contact with the steering wheel. This helps maintain orientation.
    Depend on the boat I guess. On bigger boats stay at sea level near the center of the boat on a zodiac get in the back (center when you can). All this is to keep the swing, vertical elevation and amplitude of motion minimised.

Quote Originally Posted by zzzzzzzz  View Original Post
    Also, keep your eyes on the horizon. The visual cue is the strongest and can override what your inner ear is telling your brain
    Excelent advice may I add to that to look into the direction of travel or if you can't do that diagonally forward. Both pieces of advice definately work. I hope it works sufficiently.

Rib diving has never really been a problem I think going like a bat from hell and just clinging on for grim death just overcomes all other senses onece the rib stops turn off the engine to stop those lovely 2 stroke fumes and get kitted up asap.The latter is not so easy on CCR hence the shift toward hard boats much more room to kit up but loads of time for negative thoughts like which way do I run to get down wind of my buddys

RBW Member Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68's Avatar

Oh, and rinse salt water out of mouth ASAP after surfacing. Rinse regs/mouthpiece with fresh water to avoid salty mouth going down.

Sorry to hear it is so cold there. Try diving off FL SE coast where the boast trips are ~1/2 an hour and the temps are pleasent->baking. 3+ hour boat trips are no help to the sea-sick - it will wear you down eventually.

High END queezy I think I get if I'm END 180ish+ and I skipped breakfast. I don't get a hungry feeling - I just feel kinda queezy on the bottom. Just some sort of wierd transference I guess.
    Last edited by Gary68; 1st January 2009 at 20:07.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast