+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: jj-ccr user review and questions

RBW Member gene1340 is an unknown quantity at this point gene1340's Avatar

Re: jj-ccr user review and questions

Hi Dave,
    I used JJ's website to contact Jan last night. I don't know if it really constitutes email or not though the way the website is set up. I checked the box to send a copy of it to myself and I have yet to receive it.
    The Meg has the factory hoses on the loop. That is the same way I set the JJ bov up. I am hoping to get out and dive again this week and will give someone else the honors of setting the hook and tying in, so that I can concentrate on the bov only. My workload is usually a bit higher than everyone else's as I usually drop on the shotline and find the wreck to tie into, and then I am the one that untie's and am last up the line. I will make it a point to do a "pleasure" set of dives the next time out to give it a closer inspecion, but to be honest I dove the Meg dsv like that every time.
    Thanks for the offer regarding emails and questions. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks again,
    Gene

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Dave,

how do you test whether the valve close correctly ? Mushroom valve test ?

Also, out of curiosity, what's your association with JJ-CCR ?

Erik

"Two Sheds" Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos's Avatar
    JJ Rebreather

Classic Kiss

I'm a little confused as to why you would need to purge a BOV that hasn't been removed from your mouth. Water shouldn't get in so no need to purge.

Gene
    It sounds to me as if one of the exhaust flappers on OC isn't working properly. Not meaning to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, but before each dive I suck on my (Jetsam) Bov with everything connected but the gas turned off. There should be no leaks. I also do the same with my stage regs.

Have you tried this and what do you get?

Janos

RBW Member Dinspiration is a jewel in the rough Dinspiration is a jewel in the rough Dinspiration is a jewel in the rough Dinspiration is a jewel in the rough Dinspiration is a jewel in the rough Dinspiration is a jewel in the rough Dinspiration is a jewel in the rough Dinspiration's Avatar

Hi

I don't know whether there are two different sizes for MEG hoses on the market. My Golem Gear BOV and the original DSV have a diameter of around 45 mm. The first JJ-CCR BOV I got for my HammerMEG had adapters with an diameter of 37mm! So it was not possible to clamp the BOV correctly on the hose. After talking with Jan Petersen from JJ-CCR, I got a new BOV with a larger diameter on the hose adapter. The new adapter is made from one piece and the old one was a two piece adapter as seen on their web page. The new one has the same diameter as the orignal DSV. This "new" version gave no problems to clamp it on the hoses and is working perfect.

DINspiration

RBW Member dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edasque  View Original Post
    Dave,

how do you test whether the valve close correctly ? Mushroom valve test ?

Erik
    Make sure the gas is switched off and suck on the reg when the BOV is in OC, if you can suck its leaking somewhere.

I helped to design and test it

Janos

you are right but just jumping off the boat can displace the OC exhaust valve enough to allow water in, enough to need to blow it clear before breathing from it.
    I find very little water in mine but I still blow it clear as a matter of habit

And I am sure you all know this but if you have a shut-off valve fitted it must be in the ON position while you are diving, this also applies to any cylinders that the bov is connected to.

I am sure if anybody has a problem it will be sorted but please bear in mind that in europe its a holiday and most places are closed and people are off doing holiday stuff so communication may take a little longer

Dave

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edasque  View Original Post

Erik

You asking me, or Dave Thompson? I'm just a paying customer.

You check the exhaust valves for OC the same way you check then on a regulator: Turn off the air and suck in... it should be well sealed. Don't HONK on it as you can fold the flapper. And descending with no gas connected to it will GUARANTEE that the flappers fold under as the gas bubble is compressed, and it WILL leak (like any other second stage).

Dave

Dave and Janos,
    The oc portion does leak when it is all connected up with gas turned off. I will look locally for a replacement while I wait for a reply. It will still not keep me from diving it as I can still bailout the old fashioned way.
    Dave, I am not in a hurry to get these things worked out, as I am aware of the holiday over in Europe. I believe everything will get rectified that needs to be. Everything has growing pains.
    Does anyone know the size of the mushroom valves on the JJ bov? Just curious what the diameter is compared to the stock meg. Don't have it in from of me right now, but will have to take a look and see.
    Gene

Banned Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn's Avatar
    Apoc

Drager

Quote Originally Posted by gene1340  View Original Post
    Does anyone know the size of the mushroom valves on the JJ bov? Just curious what the diameter is compared to the stock meg. Don't have it in from of me right now, but will have to take a look and see.
    Gene,

from the information they have published:
    Meg DSV Mushroom Valves = 33.7mm, WOB = 1.90J/L (75lpm, 40m, Air)
    JJ BOV______= 35.6mm, WOB = 1.06J/L (75lpm, 40m, Air)

Regards
    Brad

RBW Member dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gene1340  View Original Post
    Dave and Janos,
    The oc portion does leak when it is all connected up with gas turned off. I will look locally for a replacement while I wait for a reply. It will still not keep me from diving it as I can still bailout the old fashioned way.
    Dave, I am not in a hurry to get these things worked out, as I am aware of the holiday over in Europe. I believe everything will get rectified that needs to be. Everything has growing pains.
    Gene
    Gene
    before you buy a new exhaust valve try this
    unscrew the guard thats over the exhaust valve
    now put your hand firmly over the exhaust port
    if you cant suck its the flapper that was leaking
    if you still can suck even with the exhaust port blocked off it could be one of the barrel o-rings leaking

if its one of the barrel o-rings leaking we will replace the BOV

best

Dave

Okay, I have verified that the exhaust valve is indeed faulty and not the barrel oring, as per Dave T's instructions. Anyone got a lead for someone in the Northeast that stocks exhaust valves?
    Gene
    Last edited by gene1340; 1st January 2009 at 16:22.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast