+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Steel v Ali Bailout Buoyancy

RBW Member snicks will become famous soon enough snicks will become famous soon enough snicks will become famous soon enough snicks's Avatar

Re: Steel v Ali Bailout Buoyancy

Worthington Composite tanks have about the same buoyancy as alis, but are much lighter and smaller on the dry.

Pro: they come in 300bar which makes a 7l an almost ideal choice for bailout.

Con: rather expensive ;/

CARBONDIVE

Greets
    Dirk

John Harcus jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver's Avatar
    rEvo

Copis Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike R.  View Original Post
    Hello, I was also thinking of switching to one of the small Faber pony bottles for bailout to save on carrying a couple pounds of lead weight and simply the robust nature of the tank itself. The downside is occasional tumbles to remove rust. In my KISS sport I typically carry a 19cuft aluminum bottle mounted laterally across the bottom to make my rig self contained. My brackett will fit a Faber 23 Hp or a slightly smaller LP tank. Using the tank for bailout only would mean the tank typically stays negative for the entire dive. I figure on reducing my weight by 4 lbs and depending on my drysuit to take up the slack if I ever had to bail out and use the gas to the point where the tank becomes neutral.
    Best check your RMV and then plan for contingency while going down the SFF (Scamahorn Fatal Funnel). A 19 or 23 cuft is about as useful for bailout below 60ft as a single 63 is for cave diving. Let me know how you make out with that...

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snicks  View Original Post
    Worthington Composite tanks have about the same buoyancy as alis, but are much lighter and smaller on the dry.
    Pro: they come in 300bar which makes a 7l an almost ideal choice for bailout.
    Con: rather expensive
    CARBONDIVE
    Pro: I carried a full pair of Carbondive 12s (deep and rich bailouts) up a flight of steps and across a car park.
    When I went back for two similar Ali's my back said "No" and I had to make two trips.

About 30% more gas in 10.8Kgs for the 12/300 cylinder.
    It was love at first sight and I had to have some...

Full of trimix they float in fresh water.

Excuse me, I speak Dive alyafi is just really nice alyafi is just really nice alyafi is just really nice alyafi is just really nice alyafi is just really nice alyafi is just really nice alyafi is just really nice alyafi is just really nice alyafi is just really nice alyafi is just really nice alyafi's Avatar

Thank you for discussing this topic, I have found your input very usefull.

I have a question, does anyone use Steel Cylinders for warm saltwater wetsuit diving? If not, what is the reason for only using Aluminium? Is it to avoid being overweighted in the event of a flood? Is it just convenience (weight?), or would the the diver be really overweighted with steel in Salt Water without the added bouyancy of the drysuit and undergarments?

Tanks allot!
    Last edited by alyafi; 23rd December 2008 at 08:34. Reason: grammar and spelling

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2