+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning / Disinfecting

RBW Member gwilson is an unknown quantity at this point gwilson's Avatar

Cleaning / Disinfecting

I have brought a 2nd hand Kiss and would like to clean / disenfect it before I use it next week, what do I use as a cleaning solution?

Thanks

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Re: Cleaning / Disinfecting

Virkon® / RelyOn™
    Multi-Purpose Disinfectant Cleaner
    Chett. L

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by gwilson  View Original Post
    I have brought a 2nd hand Kiss and would like to clean / disenfect it before I use it next week, what do I use as a cleaning solution?

Thanks
    Try calling Diverite express.
    Actually, I did not realize you are not in the USA ?
    Last edited by Chett.L; 9th December 2008 at 23:43.
    Chett. L

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

Buddy Clean from AP valves, Trigene (much the same), Virkon, etc. I often use Dettox spray and a good rinse, but have no evidence for this other than lack of problems.

Neil

RBW Member gwilson is an unknown quantity at this point gwilson's Avatar

Thanks

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

You can get a big bottle of trigene from vet suppliers for a tenner (also good for vet-lube).

Or you can get a sachet of virkon for £1.50 from tack shops, farm suppliers, pet shops, etc. The pet shop stuff is exactly the same as the "S" version (tack shops usually sell the "S" version), only the fragrance is different. It makes a big bucket of disinfectant, more than you'll need. Granular Virkon does need a lot of rinsing or the loop will taste rank.

I disinfected mine when I bought it, then once after six months, then when I sold it, so three times in 3.5yrs. But then I'm a dirty b****d :D I work on a combo of fresh water rinsing and our wonderful naturally refrigerated climate.
    Last edited by lizardland; 10th December 2008 at 08:55.

RBW Member dykkermads is an unknown quantity at this point dykkermads's Avatar
    Megalodon Apeks 2.7

Most disinfectants can be used as long as you are aware of a couple of things.

The product should not contain any bleach which could damage your equipment and devalue it in case of sale further down the road.

Be sure to rinse the equipment adequately to avoid any fumes or chemicals in the loop. Let the parts dry out at room temperature after cleaning.

Personally I use a cheaper industrial disinfectant in stead of the somewhat expensive products offered by the dive shops. Never had any problems and haven't experienced any problems with my gear of any kind.

Congrats on your new toy.

ATB

/Mads

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

I use the Buddy clean product - however I dilute it massively - 10 to 1 - hence one bottle has lasted me forever.

The Sunday Dive Club jcassara will become famous soon enough jcassara will become famous soon enough jcassara will become famous soon enough jcassara will become famous soon enough jcassara's Avatar
    Hammerhead Inspiration Classic

Inspiration Classic

I have been using good old fashion hydrogen peroxide. It is a mild oxidizer and will not harm the lungs. A fresh water rinse will deactivate it and any residue is self reducing to plain old water. No harm if there is a bit left in the loop, we all have had a bit of peroxide in the mouth before. Best part it's less than a dollar (US) for a pint. (H2O2). So give it a fresh water rinse. Flood it with a pint or two of peroxide and then rinse it again. Be sure to leave it open to the air to dry out before closing the loop up.

John

Resident bibliophile Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs's Avatar
    Megalodon

literature review

Severs, YD; Lamontagne, MC. (2002) A Literature Review of Disinfectants: Effects When Used by CF Divers in Cleaning Rebreather Sets. DRDC TORONTO Technical Report 209. RRR ID: 4288

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast