+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Near death Co2 hit in Cocos August

Hybrid View

New Member kozmik is an unknown quantity at this point kozmik's Avatar

Near death Co2 hit in Cocos August

My name is Jim,and I am a new member to this site,it seems very honest and helpfull and I will now relate a diving accident that happened to me in August in Cocos Island 350 miles off Costa Rica.
    I am a inspiration diver for the past 3 years ,logged over 170 hours shallow and trimix levels mainly shooting Tv shows and documentaries from Canada.In all the dives I have never had one problem with my unit,and my 4 dive buddies all have the classic unit with 3 new evolutions added this last 7 months to the pile,all with no problems.My buddy and I Ralph Hoskins from Canada ventured on board the Okeanous Aggressor for my third and Ralph,s first trip to Cocos.
    Both of us on classics,we had checked them prior to the trip and replaced all cells and came with fresh batteries.
    On the 14 th dive of the week,we dived the Alcion site,incredibly high current,the morning dive went without a hitch,So we decided a 1100am dive at the same spot.
    Ralph and I were at the back of the 10 metre zodia,when we rounded the open ocean corner into vicous wave action,the pilot gunned the boat and I went flying rebreather and all smashing hard onto the fiberglass rib floor,jarring the classic badly.I checked it out and once anchored headed into the current down the line.A diver in front of me lost his tank out of a scubapro bc suicide snap system and I was the only one close to grab him , and the tank and try put it all back together in a 5 knot current hanging onto the rope, the line as well,We were only 25 ft. down,I completed the repair and off he went,Ralph had stopped and turned about watching us and waited for me.I started handover hand pulling down the line,Ralph said I pulled slower and slower and passed out,rolled over, out came the loop and I started my descent.Thankgod Ralph was right on me at 68 ft my computer locked out and 6 minutes into the dive,Ralph tried to get a response from me,I was dead in the water eyes closed and non responsive,he could not put my bailout reg in my mouth,I was vsa at this time.He hauled me back to the rough surface and attempted to signal the zod pilot,for 10 minutes Ralph kept me afloat,he says I started breathing.
    I woke up stripped to my wetsuit in the zod spiting up blood and wondering what was going on,did I fall down and knock myself out.
    I had no feeling of any pain and did not remember the incident,or feel any symptoms or hear any alarm go off,neither did Ralph hear a alarm.

Back on the mother ship I peeled out of my suit washed off and layed upstairs on a lounge chair for the next 32 hours while I was fed pure O2 from the large bank on board.The diving Dr. arrived 50 miles out from shore at 400am in a fast boat, with the ambulance crew, who stabilized me and I spent a lovely 3 days in critical care in Costa Rica,missing my flight home.Ralph hung with me and stripped down my unit and boxed it up making certain checks on the unit first.
    The fill was fresh and the O2 at 2000psi,the computers worked and showed cell 3 was off a little,the unit had of course flooded so it is hard to tell what went wrong,perhaps the massive smash off the zodiac deck had upset the works.When I returned the unit to Mike Fowler,Mike replaced a battery box,my unit had the old solid brass pins and it looked like one pin had seized up perhaps unseating the battery thus no alarm for low O2.
    I was back diving the unit in mid September and ordered my Vision upgrade for January to arrive.
    My wife wanted me to sell the unit and get out of CCR diving,I told her usually it is diver failure, that caused most problems and some of my CCR buddies felt the massive smash on the floor of the zod caused it to unseat a battery thus no alarm,anyway I am back at it and,being very fit and on pure O2 for the 32 hour 350 mile ride home kept me alive,
    I would like to thanks Wayne Hasson of the Aggressor fleet and the owner for all there help,and the guest as well who lost a day or so of diving.Thanks to all..life is sweet..............
    Ralph is getting a free trip to Truk Lagoon for saving my butt,thanks Ralph..

John Routley
    narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Near death Co2 hit in Cocos August

hi ya jim welcome to RBW,
    thank god for a quik buddy, glad you made it that was a bloody close call.
    and you still dont know the real resone? do you still dive with the same unit?
    kindest regards john routley
    you know...life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    Its about learning to dance in the rain..

Supporting Shearwater Research Products in Europe

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Re: Near death Co2 hit in Cocos August

Hi Jim, welcome to Rebreather World.
    Quite an entry, that chilling tale of your accident. Thanks for sharing it. Glad to hear you pulled through well enough to keep joining your buddy Ralph. He's earned his keep. ;)

While I hope that even wrangling OC divers in a the strong current isn't enough to cause a CO2 breakthrough, I'm a bit confused about the electronics problem.

You said one of the battery pins had seized. Aren't there two, as well as two setpoint controllers? Should have the slave kicked in and taken over setpoint control? After assembling the OC diver you descended. The pO2 would have increased ...

Do you think it was hypercapnia or hypoxia that made you unconcious?

Another thought, a FFM with BOV would have kept the loop closed and supplied fresh gas once Ralph got to you. They also allow for UW comms, very handy when fliming. ;)

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar

Jim,

Welcome to Rebreather World. That is truly a scary story of being much closer to the edge than any of us care to be! Thank God, and Ralph, for your successful return.

Welcome aboard.

Rob

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Can someone tell me again why all RB divers arent using a Kirby Mogan 48 full face mask? - cos I really dont get why not.

Anyway, thanks for your post.

Are you sure the unit was switched on? Maybe the fall and the stuck battery pin turned the unit off and you went hipoxic? I pressume you were checking your displays.

If the unit was turned on I would suspect that the jolt dislodged the cannister o-ring (great design right ) leading to CO2 bypass. I have seen that o-ring dislodged before when a unit was dropped.

RBW Member CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900's Avatar

People such as your friend Ralph define the real meaning of the word buddy.

I ofcourse can't comment on your incident but..

I note that when the classic Inspiration head is return to the factory for servicing it comes back with a nice shinny new battery box (with springs) for free. I do believe battery bounce was real problem in the past but was resolved quietly.

Fil

Emoticonoclast dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike
    Can someone tell me again why all RB divers arent using a Kirby Mogan 48 full face mask? - cos I really dont get why not.
    My understanding is that they (the RB version) are no longer available to civilians.

Is this true?

RBW Member CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900 has a spectacular aura about CCR900's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike
    Drmike. Am I right in thinking you dive an Ouroborus? Are you planning on diving (already dive) the new full face for the Ourobrus?

F

+ Reply to Thread