+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: which unit to buy???

RBW Member jkdiver is an unknown quantity at this point jkdiver's Avatar
    Megalodon

which unit to buy???

hey, non bubblers,

im a newbie and could use some advise on which unit to purshase. i know there are so many diferent models out there but if any one would share some of there first time buying experiences that would be great.

?-eCCR or mCCR???

?-back mounted or shoulder mounted bags???

?-sooo-many questions???

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Re: which unit to buy???

Welcome- (Great Avatar Pic BTW)

Your questions have about 4million answers though, you could try the search function to narrow your questions down abit to an answerable level! :)

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jkdiver  View Original Post
    hey, non bubblers,

im a newbie and could use some advise on which unit to purshase. i know there are so many diferent models out there but if any one would share some of there first time buying experiences that would be great.

?-eCCR or mCCR???

?-sooo-many questions???
    This is a topic that comes up every week or so.... :)
    Search is your friend....

In a nutshell, it depends... what type of diving do you:
    a> do today....
    b> see yourself aspiring to in the reasonable future....
    c> can you afford....

RBW Member jkdiver is an unknown quantity at this point jkdiver's Avatar
    Megalodon

thanks guys, sorry for the newbie ?'s willdo the search deal

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

I would have a look at the open safety - apocalypse threads - Back mounted, WOB, auto bailout, CO2 sensor, validated O2 cells, etc etc. Having read the details on this unit and based on the fact that the same company design safety critical systems for a living + commercial rebreathers - oh and the fact it is way cheaper than other units - this has swayed me (production units are due out in March) although their commercial rebreathers are in the field.

Supporting Member DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill's Avatar
    HammerHead

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Wol  View Original Post
    I would have a look at the open safety - apocalypse threads - Back mounted, WOB, auto bailout, CO2 sensor, validated O2 cells, etc etc. Having read the details on this unit and based on the fact that the same company design safety critical systems for a living + commercial rebreathers - oh and the fact it is way cheaper than other units - this has swayed me (production units are due out in March) although their commercial rebreathers are in the field.
    Also; low quality material and manufacturing. (IMO)
    Not to mention it doesn't exsist.
    Last edited by DWill; 5th December 2008 at 15:40.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

hey, non bubblers,

?-eCCR or mCCR???

?-sooo-many questions???

Your in the USA so id look for home grown / local units first like the Meg Hammer Head and KISS

Personaly Id recomend all new CCR divers use a MCCR first to get a good understanding and develop good habits.

So for me that would mean Copis Meg or KISS (NOTE: They may do a MCCR only Hammer Head)

Then its down to front mounted or rear mounted lungs. I prefer rear mounted but front mounted have significant advantages for flood recovery. If your thinking in terms of the world wide market then the rEvo with Shearwater package is my Number one favorite all round unit.

Its a lovley unit to dive and so easy to live with. Its also easy and comparitivly cheep to upgrade to ECCR should you feel the need later.

It just needs a JJ bov and your laughing :D

If the Hammer Head comes in MCCR only it ideal as it comes with a Golum BOV and a reasnoble HUD as well (not as good as the Shearwater HUD but not bad) So as an off the shelf item it covers all the bases.

ATB

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Chase; 5th December 2008 at 16:03.

Holger Berghäuser TR300 is just really nice TR300 is just really nice TR300 is just really nice TR300 is just really nice TR300 is just really nice TR300 is just really nice TR300 is just really nice TR300 is just really nice TR300 is just really nice TR300's Avatar
    TR300

Submatix

thanks guys, sorry for the newbie ?'s willdo the search deal
    Hi,
    that is always a good question. Best is to try some units (back mounted CL and OTS), after you find out your favorite CL position look for an nice unit. In US you cant get a lot of very good units, MEG, Optima or KISS or ...

I prefer back mounted Rigs, because of the freedom at the chest for sling bottles and light.

Find it out your way. Its like to buy a car, you must be comfortable with the unit. But remember the three points, "love it, change it or leave it" :)

regards
    Holger
    Last edited by TR300; 5th December 2008 at 18:03.

rEvo Shearwater tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13's Avatar
    rEvo

Well having recently gone CCR I feel the confusion your going through.
    The first thing I decided upon was do I want eCCR or mCCR.
    The second thing was OTS counterlungs or BMCL.
    Then I started thinking about build quality of the unit. About how easy is it to operate, clean, setup. The commitment of the company to be around next year. Versitility for add ons.
    Pick one issue at a time aand you can slowly cross units of your list.
    Like everyone else said, there is no perfect unit and only you can decide which is the best for you.

RBW Member Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge is a splendid one to behold Serge's Avatar
    rEvo II

Evolution

I have thought about this long and hard and came to this realization if I had to do it over again. I'll make it easy for you. The answer to your question is: rEvo II

Now all you have to do is figure out why. :)
    Last edited by Serge; 7th December 2008 at 02:12.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast