+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RB E-Learning Tool?

Team Torrent Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken's Avatar

RB E-Learning Tool?

I am thinking of designing an Elearning tool for divers contemplating transitioning to RBís. The CBT (computer based training) would help them:

* decide if an RB is an appropriate tool based on a number of input criteria
    * delineate a best fit in a SCR/CCR etc.

I believe this tool may be a useful, but I also have a gut feeling that I might be blowing hot smoke. Would most folks tend to use expert sources (like RB World, instructors & mates) versus an Elearning tool?

The thought to design this tool came about from observing some individuals becoming very confused by the wide array of opinions and kit choices. Also, it's easier to say to some folks (who were driving me nuts) to just go there, do the work and come back when you have a formed thought. On a purely instructional side, RB instructors could use this tool to demonstrate a hierarchy based approach to choosing RBís as well as an introductory lesson to closed, or semi-closed diving.

Your thoughts appreciated. Cheers. Ken

Emoticonoclast dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman is a jewel in the rough dantheman's Avatar

Re: RB E-Learning Tool?

Yeah, Ken. I think it would be useful.
    A hierarchical approach (or tree-like, really), does
    break it down most logically. That's how I discuss it
    with folks who are curious.

What criteria would you use to determine best fit?

What kind of coverage are you thinking of in the
    "this is rb diving vs. oc diving" department?

For that matter, what makes a person a good candidate for RB?

--dan

New Member s75952004 is an unknown quantity at this point s75952004's Avatar

nice idea info is always welcome to an open mind.
    I word of advice ,the article would have to be non biased ,not to teckie .
    when I first came over to this site I noticed the use of abrevations were rampet .I found the post that explained the abervations and made life easyer.
    the average diver listens to friends and forms opinion's that most time lack facts .then there are the thread on here were one poster seems to be so anal and dead rite type that a newbie would come away with the opinion that rb are not safe which is totaly not true.
    tread lightly with the big stick you are carrying

Custom Title Allowed! TordoffR is on a distinguished road TordoffR is on a distinguished road TordoffR's Avatar

I personally I think it would be a fantastic tool. The more research a diver does the better chance they have of doing it right the first time! It will be alot of work, but very valuable in the long run.

I do all my own stunts shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back's Avatar

I think its a great Idea , Its already been done to some effect. I will PM you .
    I have been working on that very thing, there are several tools available for this, The festering pimple on the ass of progress would be getting the agencies, to allow the use of published ,copyright materials as content.

I would like to see this type of tool available for all Intsructors and students to use for to pre-qualify students.
    I hope to see the day when a student comes into the shop and asks for rb training , not open water.
    I guess thats another thread, that could be started.

All I want for Christmas is a CCR.

B

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Great Idea!

If it was open source / free would be happy to host it here for you either as an online app or the files.

Stuart

Team Torrent Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken is a jewel in the rough Ken's Avatar

Thanks fellas. I appreciate it. Some info: I would make this tool as unbiased as possible using published RB physical and operating parameters as criteria. The decision making process(es) would be be pretty simple and logical based on a variety of agency entry level dive skills. Designing the tool does take a fair amount of time and I am trying to intuit whether an entry level diver would prefer to resource people vs. sitting and using a program.

Again, I appreciate the feedback. As per open source...hmmm? It would be the egalitarian thing to do? Ken

On the loop! E-man will become famous soon enough E-man will become famous soon enough E-man will become famous soon enough E-man's Avatar

Hey, I think it would be a good idea, if ya do it right. Funny I had the same idea, since im pretty good at programming, but never got around to it.Maybe giving the option of letting the person "play" with the rebreather and show how all the functions work, like ok goto 60ft add o2 and watch the po2 go up or something to that effect, let us know what you come up with...and i'd be interested in how you end up writing the program.

EDIT: I see other people have been working on it too...maybe we could all work together on it...hmmm
    Last edited by E-man; 4th December 2005 at 01:20.

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

I also think that this would be a great idea. I had no idea where to turn when making this big decision. I have been reading and watching everything I can get my hands on. However, during the whole time of the investigation, I kept wondering if I wasn't missing something that I should be checking out.

I almost feel like some of the materials I have located have come to me by blind luck. For all I know, I have missed out on something that I should have studied. This is not the way I would prefer to make such an expensive and important decision.

RBW Member lancsman is on a distinguished road lancsman is on a distinguished road lancsman's Avatar

Question Re: RB E-Learning Tool?

I could not agree more, as a person now actively going throught the decision making I am finding the lack of info on "how to do it" very difficult. Whilst I now know about a number of different units, where to get the training, I still don't really know what dive a RB involves. So if I spend my money will it be for me?

Any more help in tghe form how they work and what the diver needs to do would fill the knowledge gap I have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast