+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sensors

Photo & Video Pro h2ophotopro is an unknown quantity at this point h2ophotopro's Avatar

Sensors

How many of you guys have had issues with the sensors being EXTREMELY sensitive to moisture. 3 Insp divers went to Fiji and 2 of them had nothing but problems with their sensors from the humidity. This has been real apparent in many locales with a lot of our RB divers.

I think there needs to be a new design so help keep the moisture to a limit and also to restrict any water that enters the system from coming into contact with the sensors.

This has been the only draw back to the Insp...sensitive sensors!!

Top Geek Diver is an unknown quantity at this point Diver's Avatar
    Hi Mike,

Have you read this article about a small addition / modification to the Inspi.
    Seems that this problem has been ongoing for a while as this article dates
    back to Jan 2002.

Diver Daves Inspiritation Modification.

ATB & Safe Diving

TC

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by h2ophotopro
    This has been the only draw back to the Insp...sensitive sensors!!
    Are you sure?
    As I see it the loop runs at 100% humidity from the end of the prebreath to the end of the dive.

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Quote Originally Posted by nigelh
    Are you sure?
    As I see it the loop runs at 100% humidity from the end of the prebreath to the end of the dive.
    The problem is not the 100% hummidity, but the space where condensation occurs. On the Inspiration quite some of it, especially in warm water or long dives, occurs where the cells are. The water droplets then influence the sensor readings as the partially block the sensor's membrane. IIRC, especially the #2 sensor is prone to that.

Administrator ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE's Avatar

Sensors

Folks,

I can only speak from my own experience. The first long term experience I had with the Turtle was a trip to the Galapagos (Darwin's Arch). We had 24 units, and we dove like crazy for 10 days. In that time we only had one bad sensor, and a couple of trashed AutoAirs.

Since then I've had good reliability with the exception of the time I broke a wire while working on the hat. My fault entirely.

Just my PPO2's worth.

Rob

Photo & Video Pro h2ophotopro is an unknown quantity at this point h2ophotopro's Avatar
    Well I know that in Fiji it was extremely humid and we had a lot of problems with condensation building up and the sensors giving cell warnings and cell failures. Once we opened the units, dried off the sensors and let the head dry out for a few, all was well. But to have to open up the head in between dives and let it dry out is utterly ridiculous.

yes Stefan, the #2 cell is the biggest problem.

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

I discussed that subject with Joe R a little while ago, he sees considerable less condensation in the head in cold water as much of it condensates in the down tube and ends up in the bottom of the scrubber.
    That's why APD insists that the R-22BUDs are used with the coated membrane.

Different RB designs have been dealing with that problem differently.
    The Cis split the gas path, so a smaller volume of gas and moisture went across the sensors. It also had a sponge trap for moisture, and finally manual injection went across the sensor faces. That's probably where Dave got the idea for his modification.

The MK series also split the gas path, and and placed the sensors in the center of the donut where temps are high. Most condensation occurs when gas comes out of the scrubber and hits the dome.

On the PRISM most of it also occurs along the bucket after the gas exits the basket. It also has a foam trap in the sensor space. There is some condensation, but fairly little.

The Meg has a chammy in the sensor holder, am not sure if or what other measures are taken to avoid wet sensor faces. Can't remember any complaints, so it seems Leon did his homework in that regard.

Thanks again Stefan. I want to get this taken care of so I dont run into any other scenarios.

+ Reply to Thread