+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hose kinking is news? - wtf?

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Hose kinking is news? - wtf?

I am a little surprised that hose kinking is a new issue to some.

In the past I have had several bad experiences on the inspo due to kinked hoses.

Theres no doubt in my mind it can be dangerous.

I even bailed once thinking I was having a CO2 hit due to it (I was, retained co2 due to wob) I was only in 25m of water descending but man I was hammered. I never 'felt' increased wob but i sure felt the CO2

Im quite surprised that this issue apears news to some. ...

Ive often wondered if hoses are more likely to kink on AP products more than others due to the way the dsv works. You tend to assemble and adjust the hoses with the dsv closed. Then open the dsv and dive. But Im wondering if the dsv opening could twist the hoses perhaps taking them out of alignment when in use? Its been so long I dont recall - perhaps someone can test/advise

Correct T piece positioning is also important

I later found that shortening the hoses (as I did) may be a bad idea as it apears to also greatly increase risk of kink.

I quickly developed the technique of running my hands along the hoses during descent to make sure there was no kink a habit I still use today even on Cooper hoses (which can also kink worse if the spiral seperates)

I admit I never thought much more about it - I can see it would be very hard/impossibe (given the inspo design) to ensure hose kink can never happen as it is more user set up sensitive than most other units. Its got nothing to do with the hose (using a rubber one)- more to do with T piece position and how the user aligns the hoses

Hose kinking is new to some??? I sometimes wonder if people actualy ever dive their units.......
    Last edited by Drmike; 30th November 2008 at 18:30.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Re: Hose kinking is news? - wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    I am a little surprised that hose kinking is a new issue to some.

In the past I have had several bad experiences on the inspo due to kinked hoses.

Theres no doubt in my mind it can be dangerous.

I even bailed once thinking I was having a CO2 hit due to it (I was, retained co2 due to wob) I was only in 25m of water descending but man I was hammered. I never 'felt' increased wob but i sure felt the CO2

Im quite surprised that this issue apears news to some. ...

Ive often wondered if hoses are more likely to kink on AP products more than others due to the way the dsv works. You tend to assemble and adjust the hoses with the dsv closed. Then open the dsv and dive. But Im wondering if the dsv opening could twist the hoses perhaps taking them out of alignment when in use? Its been so long I dont recall - perhaps someone can test/advise

Correct T piece positioning is also important

I later found that shortening the hoses (as I did) may be a bad idea as it apears to also greatly increase risk of kink.

I quickly developed the technique of running my hands along the hoses during descent to make sure there was no kink a habit I still use today even on Cooper hoses (which can also kink worse if the spiral seperates)

I admit I never thought much more about it - I can see it would be very hard/impossibe (given the inspo design) to ensure hose kink can never happen as it is more user set up sensitive than most other units. Its got nothing to do with the hose (using a rubber one)- more to do with T piece position and how the user aligns the hoses

Hose kinking is new to some??? I sometimes wonder if people actualy ever dive their units.......

Exactly. Its a non issue issue. Its right up there with crawling through tight spaces can crush front mounted counter lungs and restrict the divers ability to breath.

People who are incapable of grasping such basic concepts are beyond the ability of any one to save.

ATB

Mark

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Got the best one from day 1...

Mike, Mark,

can you give a more thorough explanation as to what do you actually mean by "kink"?

sorry, guys, english is a second language to me, and though i suppose i am quite update on that, i still think i would like a better explanation on what you mean.

Thanks,

Spyros

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Spyros,

In this case, its when you bend the hose and it dramatically collapses. Think of your garden hose.... and the impact this has on flow rate.

Gilberto Bonaga, Italy gibbogeo will become famous soon enough gibbogeo will become famous soon enough gibbogeo will become famous soon enough gibbogeo will become famous soon enough gibbogeo's Avatar
    Kiss with Hammerhead

Draeger Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth T  View Original Post
    The point is, once it is harder to breathe, one is already in the spiral
    Anne Marie, in my opinion and from my experience your statement is simply not true.

Seems that other agree with my opinion.

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Thanks guys,

guys, because i can't green Ruth T, apart from once, please green him on my behalf.

just joining and taking the time to post such an answer is amazing.

thanks to the rest as well.

but, how about the "hose repair kit" and the shut off valves. i never thought this would happen underwater for me, simply because before i go diving, before i even put the unit on my shoulders, i test it a lot. either when i assemble it, or even after.

so, don't you all pressurize your regs, and pump air inside, raise the po2, lower it, work it out and see if the cells are working fine?

so, if there is a moment for the hoses to "kink", i think is then. something like the high pressure gauges which usually have a small "rubber nut" behind. that is why we aim the spg not on someone or ourselves when we open the valve. if they are to break, then that small nut will fly with 200 bar pressure, i suppose its capable for going through our hand...

so, my idea is, if it was to break or kink, this would happen on land, where the set up and checks are made, otherwise i find it very very extreme scenario..

am i wrong on this?

Thanks,

Spyros

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Kinking can also happen as a result of twisting (ie to look at something), or by reduced pressure (ie descending).

So it can happen underwater. I'd imagine blowing gas into the loop would resolve the problem.

Meggy Meg...

Quote Originally Posted by EBT  View Original Post
    Kinking can also happen as a result of twisting (ie to look at something), or by reduced pressure (ie descending).

So it can happen underwater. I'd imagine blowing gas into the loop would resolve the problem.
    well, isn't this kind of obvious? how can someone go down without adding air in the loop? its impossible isn't it?

Spyros

Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Well... yeah ;)

Meggy Meg...

Quote Originally Posted by EBT  View Original Post
    Well... yeah ;)
    :D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast