+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: sofnolime vs sodasorb

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

sofnolime vs sodasorb

The price of sofnolime has gone through the roof in the last couple of years and it is hard to get small batches without paying through the nose. I intend to make a bulk purchase for myself and a few friends. Sofnolime is almost twice the price of sodasorb up here. What is everyones opinion of the two. Is is worth twice as much? I do think sodasorb is dustier but how big an issue is that? What about longevity?
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Got the best one from day 1...

Re: sofnolime vs sodasorb

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    The price of sofnolime has gone through the roof in the last couple of years and it is hard to get small batches without paying through the nose. I intend to make a bulk purchase for myself and a few friends. Sofnolime is almost twice the price of sodasorb up here. What is everyones opinion of the two. Is is worth twice as much? I do think sodasorb is dustier but how big an issue is that? What about longevity?
    Dave hi,

i hope you are well.

regarding the issue, i've never tried sodasorb, so i dont really know. am curious though as to "it being dustier" as you say. i've had an advice from Cedric Verdier who told me that hoovering the scrubber will shock you how much dust it would collect before you install it in the unit.

do you think that would solve the problem? am interested into this. there must be a reason why its twice the price right?

Thanks,

Spyros

Nailer99 Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith's Avatar
    Megalodon

I've been using both for the last year, depending on which one was more convenient to purchase. My personal impression is that Sofno is a little less dusty. But I don't notice any difference in WOB. And the dustiness isn't significant enough for me to care much. Especially if you take the time to sift the sorb with one of those whatchamacallit sifter dealies they use for flour and junk in the kitchen. What with the economy going down the drain right now, I'm going to be buying the sodasorb as soon as I'm done with the sofno I bought in bulk a while ago.

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

in warm water, everything 'seems' to work ok

in VERY cold water, and at high working rate, use sofnolime !!

paul

this is based on very limited testing, so take it with a lot of salt!
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Quote Originally Posted by Nailer99  View Original Post
    whatchamacallit sifter dealies they use for flour and junk in the kitchen....
    english please....

spyros

RBW Member omech will become famous soon enough omech will become famous soon enough omech will become famous soon enough omech will become famous soon enough omech's Avatar
    Copis Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw  View Original Post
    english please....

spyros
    better yet, a direct translation:
    The Sodasorb Dust Reducer. Available at Walmart, Canadian Tire, etc.

This strainer is big enough to gently toss about 1/3 of a Meg scrubber at a time over the garbage can a couple of times to let the worst of the dust blow away.

For comparison, I tried a keg of 8-12 Sofnolime and didn't notice any difference in terms of increased/decreased dust in loop, WOB, or duration relative to 6-12 Sodasorb. The Sofnolime was cleaner to fill the scrubber as there wasn't the fine dust blowing away.

The Sodasorb does have an order of magnitude more fine dust. However I'm becoming less fussy about straining the sodasorb and there's still no sign of increased dust in the loop and it doesn't clog up the mesh screens in the scrubber either.

owen

Nailer99 Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith's Avatar
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw  View Original Post
    english please....

spyros
    Sorry, I know, that was "American," not "English." I think Omech covered it pretty well- you sift the sorb before you pour it in to the scrubber. Like seperating wheat from chaffe- it helps get rid of the very fine dust.

Meggy Meg...

Thanks guys,

so,what i get from this is that sodasorb can be used with no problems at all.

how about time duration etc? is it as equall as the sofno?

Spyros

Custom Title Allowed! Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef's Avatar

I find the vacuum method best. I live on my own so I know where my vacuum cleaner is, and it gets more use when I'm RB diving for some reason...

On the Drager I suck through the inhale side for about 3-5 seconds and then the exhale for about 30, putting my hand over the inhale side for a bit to build up the vacuum and the blast of air when I remove my hand will help flush any dust. Also vacuuming the exhale side means that any dust that doesn't get shifted will be at the right end of the scrubber.

That's what I tell myself anyway.

Meggy Meg...

Quote Originally Posted by Freef  View Original Post
    I find the vacuum method best. I live on my own so I know where my vacuum cleaner is, and it gets more use when I'm Rebreather diving for some reason...

On the Drager I suck through the inhale side for about 3-5 seconds and then the exhale for about 30, putting my hand over the inhale side for a bit to build up the vacuum and the blast of air when I remove my hand will help flush any dust. Also vacuuming the exhale side means that any dust that doesn't get shifted will be at the right end of the scrubber.

That's what I tell myself anyway.
    David,

do you use sofnoline or sodasorb? have you tried vacuumig with both? which did bring out more dust?

Thanks

Spyros