+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Operation Hailstone archival images?

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

Operation Hailstone archival images?

Does anyone have high-resolution archival images from Operation Hailstone (Truk Lagoon attacks) they might be able to share? There are numerous shots from NARA, but I am trying to acquire these in a relatively short time for a presentation. If anyone can help out, the assistance would be greatly appreciated.

And please, I already know what can be found via Google. I am hoping to get higher resolution scanned image files that won't pixelate on the presentation screen (e.g., 240-300 dpi).

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Mike

rEvo Shearwater tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13's Avatar
    rEvo

Re: Operation Hailstone archival images?

Here's a long shot but it might be a start. See if you can get in touch with Mike Gerken. He used to co-Captain and photo shoot on the Odyssey, he was on the boat in 2007 but I heard thru the grape vine he's doing something else now. (don't know what,sorry) Anyways when I was on the boat he had alot of good photo's and info about the event. He was very knowledgeable about the battle. HTH.

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Hi Muke,

Another person you could try is Pete Mesley.........He seems to have just about everthing else on Truk so I would be surprised if he either didn't have some ok know where you cound find them.

Hope you're doing OK

Regards,

Lance

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

I got in touch with Mike Gerken, who was kind enough to send some great material. So I am all sorted now.

Lance -
    Doing well, but not enough diving lately. Working through my February travel plans - mostly in Brisbane, but we may be headed through Cairns for an inspection of the QLD fleet, so I will drop you a line when things get clearer. Perhaps we can get together for a pint(s)...
    Hope all is well with you.

Cheers,
    Mike

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by barney  View Original Post
    I got in touch with Mike Gerken, who was kind enough to send some great material. So I am all sorted now.

Lance -
    Doing well, but not enough diving lately. Working through my February travel plans - mostly in Brisbane, but we may be headed through Cairns for an inspection of the QLD fleet, so I will drop you a line when things get clearer. Perhaps we can get together for a pint(s)...
    Hope all is well with you.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Hi Mike,

That would be great. I have a second Meg so if you fancy taking it for a dip if you have time you are very welcome....

I am in the US at the moment waiting for my flight from LA to Seattle where I will be at the ISC factory for a week....... I am actually enjoying the cool weather you are having over here considering it is the middle of summer back in Cairns and it has been stinking hot for the past couple of weeks.

Regards,

Lance

New Member petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer4545  View Original Post
    Hi Muke,

Another person you could try is Pete Mesley.........He seems to have just about everthing else on Truk so I would be surprised if he either didn't have some ok know where you cound find them.

Hope you're doing OK

Regards,

Lance

Thanks for your vote of confidence Lance!

Mike, Have you already found high res shots you were looking for? Sorry for the late response, dont frequent these sites that much. If you are still hunting let me know.

Pete Mesley
    truk lagoon wreck diving